Premix 101: Oils, Ratios, and Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
..........so from what the expert says in post #3...........one cannot run a heavier oil mix ratio without increasing jet sizes? how does an elec carb saw motor compensate for this ?

Excellent posting Brad. Thanks.

I have to add that Motul 800 is the cleanest burning synthetic I've ever encountered.

I used to run Royal Purple. I had carbon on the piston crown after a few tanks.

Pull a motul 800 motor apart, there's nothing but oil. The only issue is looking for piston wash with it. Can't see any.

Excellent posting Brad. Thanks.

I have to add that Motul 800 is the cleanest burning synthetic I've ever encountered.

I used to run Royal Purple. I had carbon on the piston crown after a few tanks.

Pull a motul 800 motor apart, there's nothing but oil. The only issue is looking for piston wash with it. Can't see any.
It's likely the Royal Purple oil you were using was an ashless marine oil, so no supprise it was dirty.

who is he calling " stupid up there " ^^^^^
Theres a tremendous amount of arrogance surrounding oils. I.e. You are stupid if you dont run 32:1 or 40:1. Ive said it 1000 times, run a sensible ratio for your application period. I dont understand the cult mentality of the ultra rich mix ratios. Not saying i run 80:1 in my saws ( i do in my backpack blower that is approaching the 300 hr compliance period and piston looks brand new....) but im not out namecallling. Time for people to grow up a little bit.

Theres a tremendous amount of arrogance surrounding oils. I.e. You are stupid if you dont run 32:1 or 40:1. Ive said it 1000 times, run a sensible ratio for your application period. I dont understand the cult mentality of the ultra rich mix ratios. Not saying i run 80:1 in my saws ( i do in my backpack blower that is approaching the 300 hr compliance period and piston looks brand new....) but im not out namecallling. Time for people to grow up a little bit.
Thank you!

I for one have never seen a used piston that didn't have carbon and a swirl pattern on it. The only person I know that had a clean piston was running something other than pump gas. The way I understand it, a properly tuned 2-stroke will not have a totally clean piston.
Im not sure why people cant understand that and that they think it should be clean. Maybe its the molecules?? Lol!! That molecule statement is already being ridiculed on both threads Brad. If I can find the article ill post it

Referenced from an article: Plugs should not foul at richer ratios if you are using high-quality oil in the mix. High-quality oils will have a good detergent/dispersing package that holds down the contaminants which produce plug fouling. A typical example: you go from a 50:1 ratio to a 20:1 ratio. Your engine will now run leaner, and you’ll have to make jetting changes. You’ll need bigger (in number) jets because the oil molecules are thicker and the flow rate (the amount coming through the jet) is less. Aha! The volume of fuel has changed. The oil takes up some volume that the gas used to occupy, so your engine is getting less gas and needs to be richened up.

*Quote Bewildered P#2

10 g per week is 40 tanks X
30min/20hours per week x 50 is
1000 hours
Split the differnce at 8 & 10 gal is
900 hours.
You know what that means?
That gives blitzer an additional 22
hours per week to bake cookies.
Lol (inside joke...sort of)

*EDIT IN
To answer blitzer's ?
The top end is always immaculate
and can be put right on to 'your' new saw...use the new ring obviously

Boy's gotta run a little more that 18 per week to stump the Boaster Ha ha

Years ago when I first started road racing 2 Smoke bikes the oil was a choice twixt mineral or castor (Which we were told didn't mix well) at ratio's 16 through 20 to 1 & then the modern oils came to be available able to run up to 32 or so to 1 Then in the bike racing world the Pi****g contests began as to who could run the lowest oil ratio50,60, or 80/1 & it seemed more important to run a " weak" oil ratio than win or at least finish the race in a 55 year span of running bikes & saws I've never used a mix of "weaker" than 40/1. I have known & heard people relate how they use ratio's up to 100/1 & never suffered any problems, This may or may not be true , I have to take them at their word, but I always keep in mind the words of the guy who use to tune my bikes ( it's all very well saying you 've used X brand oil at 100/1 ratio & had no problems but who pays for the parts that fail due to lack of lubrication) I firmly believe that the correct mixture is much more important than a small amount to little or to much oil but there are members of Joe Public that no matter what you say or evidence you produce will still carry on in their misinformed way I have reached a point where I do my own thing & let the carry on in their own sweet way.

Back