price of steel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Somebody has to make the new steel for you to play with

It would be interesting to know ratio between "new" steel and "recycled" steel.

What I mean is if you treated steel as a "natural resource" and we contiuned to recycle it how long will it last before it is gone.

Oh and how many of the integrated mills have closed up shop in the last 10 years? So if we were so dependent on "you" to make steel for us to play with then your buisness would be booming right now as "we" would be in great demand of "your" product! Dawg:chainsaw:

It would be interesting to know ratio between "new" steel and "recycled" steel.

What I mean is if you treated steel as a "natural resource" and we contiuned to recycle it how long will it last before it is gone.

Oh and how many of the integrated mills have closed up shop in the last 10 years? So if we were so dependent on "you" to make steel for us to play with then your buisness would be booming right now as "we" would be in great demand of "your" product! Dawg:chainsaw:

Me thinks you think a little too highly of your furnace killing abilities. You need only to look in any port in this country, and you will see coils of cheap, subsidized steel as far as the eye can see. China has been dumping pipe as of late, shutting several pipe mills in this country.

If we treat steel as a natural resource, how to we factor in the losses to rust? Not rying to be funny, but all steel begins to oxidize as soon as it is created, so that factor of loss would need to be figured in also, no?

Back to the OP.... Steel pricing for flat rolled products for January opened up $50 higher than December did but....... Scrap costs went up $70 for the same month...... So let's see I think that means the steel maker or sorry recycler is making $20 less a ton than in December!:popcorn:

But what about the "Steel Maker" why did his pricing go up since they don't follow the scrap market as the said "medium quality" producers do......Hmmmmmm To me it makes sense why the Nucors of the world may have to raise their price but why the Severstals, or US Steel????

I was also told $65/ton increase January 1st. I'm running a special on rod and mesh as we speak to beat it.

Back