Prices of 460 vs 372 vs 576

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was thinking of a 372, now the 576 is in my mind. Still cant figure out the difference between the two. Was at the Saw shop the other day and the Stihl 291, the successor to the 290, is now over $500. Ouch!!! Prices are out of control.
I wouldn't buy any of those saws new right now.

You'll probably get a much better discount on a husqvarna. In my area, everything stihl is expensive, but that's about all there is. I just buy from the sponsors here. Ask for a price for what your looking for. You may be happy

Here we go... an Echo cs590 will undoubtedly outperform a Husqy 460 for less money and is built with moprofessional type features. I think the O.P. would be well served by spending some time using the search function here and getting familiar with the differences between different grades of saws.
"Moprofessional"... that's awesome. Meant "more professional"... lol

Here we go... an Echo cs590 will undoubtedly outperform a Husqy 460 for less money and is built with moprofessional type features. I think the O.P. would be well served by spending some time using the search function here and getting familiar with the differences between different grades of saws.
That would be a perfectly valid statement, but everybody knows that Echo's suck donkey balls

Noted. Such a purchase is probably for Spring of 2015. Other then a giant White Pine, much of my cutting is done for the year. A buddy of mine said he'd drop the WP for me. So probaby sometime in the next month or so, my wood cutting goal for the year will be complete.

Only reason I brought up the Echo is because the O.P. mentioned a Husqy 460, which is literally the 590's direct competition segment wise. If he'd mentioned a 555 or 562, I wouldn't have brought it up. I had an Echo 600p for a while, never saw any donkey balls anywhere near it...

Which has more power in stock form?

a 460 with a 28" bar would make for not fun time, but if you only need it for one tree I wouldn't spend the extra money on a pro saw. I tend to use too small a saw for projects. My avatar is a 50cc saw with a 20" bar and that's a 30" hard wood. Well poplar which is soft but harder then pine.

a 460 with a 28" bar would make for not fun time, but if you only need it for one tree I wouldn't spend the extra money on a pro saw.
I'm pretty sure the OP already stated that he had an MS290, which would pull a 28" bar just as good as a 460. You could run a 28" with full skip and struggle through. It might not be all that fun, but my old 029 Super cut about 150 cords between my buddy and myself and never gave me any problems. I ran a 20" mostly, but occasionally used a 25" without incident. I'm sure one tree with a 28" bar would be fine, especially in wood as soft as pine. o_O

I'm pretty sure the OP already stated that he had an MS290, which would pull a 28" bar just as good as a 460. You could run a 28" with full skip and struggle through. It might not be all that fun, but my old 029 Super cut about 150 cords between my buddy and myself and never gave me any problems. I ran a 20" mostly, but occasionally used a 25" without incident. I'm sure one tree with a 28" bar would be fine, especially in wood as soft as pine. o_O

Yeah, I know what the spec sheets say but I'd give the edge to a new 460 over a used 290. (power wise, ignoring weight, balance, cost, etc.)

I'm also very cheap and would run whatever bar I had on that 290 and just work both sides of the tree. The op might not be comfortable with that and then I'd do what you're suggesting of a 28" on the 290 with skip chisel.

Latest posts

Back