Problems with my 660...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Check the screen in the carb too sometimes funny stuff from the fuel cans gets gunked up there, looks like snot but not easy to spot. Good luck.

Anthony,
Out of curiosity, Some guys have found this snot like stuff to be from the plastic "gas cans" can you check the carb screens in another saw that you ran from the same gas can . Its not from the e10 gas but might be from the plastic jugs themselves. Send the carb up my way I'll give it a whack in the USC fer ya...
Don't forget to check the fuel filter too.

The carb is clogged up with Mountain Dew :D.

100_2124.jpg

Anthony,
Out of curiosity, Some guys have found this snot like stuff to be from the plastic "gas cans" can you check the carb screens in another saw that you ran from the same gas can . Its not from the e10 gas but might be from the plastic jugs themselves. Send the carb up my way I'll give it a whack in the USC fer ya...
Don't forget to check the fuel filter too.

It was'nt really slimy. You could rub it between your fingers and it would just dissolve. But after the carb dried, it looked like powdered suger. It was just here and there kinda. Kinda looked like some sort of corrosion really. The brake cleaner took it right away though.

How long should I soak it in the brake cleaner?

I'm hoping it wasnt some type of corrosion. What would make it corrode?

Last edited:
Well, Pioneer may be right. After soaking it and drying, it still looks to have a white film on places. Kinda looks like corrosion to me. It's good and clean except for that. The jets flow and everything. Clean around the lever and needle. Just the white looking film that gets me. I will try to take a pic if this camera will show it.
I'm waiting on parts which will hopefully be in tomorrow. My diaphragm and gasket kits. I got new impulse, fuel lines and filter also, just in case. I guess we'll just have to slap her together and see what happen.

OK, I'm no expert, but that does look like corrosion!?
Looks like it's slowly eating the Aluminum of the carb!
What causes that?:msp_scared:

OK, I'm no expert, but that does look like corrosion!?
Looks like it's slowly eating the Aluminum of the carb!
What causes that?:msp_scared:

I havent a clue man. I'm hoping someone will chime in that does. :msp_smile:

Damn mod contest thread has everybody hooked. :mad::hmm3grin2orange:

Looks like water corrosion.

As long as the jets are not plugged you can reuse the carb. To clean the idle jets, if they are plugged, you would need to remove the welch plug.

I cleaned out the corrosion the best I could. It was idling very well just cutting out and sputtering at full throttle. When it would rev out, it sounded so lean that you would have thought it did'nt have a bar on it.
I am waiting on the rebuild kit to come in. i cleaned it good I believe. I guess the carb was the problem as the corrosion and gunk was pretty thick and was blocking alot of the holes/passages.
When my parts come in, I'll get it back together and see what happens.
I guess I got some bad gas somewhere. I hope my 361 is'nt the same way! :msp_angry: I'll be dumping what fuel I have left.

I had one corrode, Stihl said it was water in the fuel. I thought it strange because I use the same fuel in 3-4 saws a day from the same can and none of the other saws had corrosion in them. The saw tech claimed that the fuel containd a high sulfer content and when water gets into the fuel somehow it makes a weak acid that attacks the aluminum....H2SO4.

Back