Project Farm tests more battery chainsaws

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I didn't already have a Kobalt 80v, I'd be looking hard at that Echo. With this battery stuff, what other tools are available in the line, how well they do, and what system you're already invested in is every bit as important as the tool itself.

I like that he buys all the equipment himself. Even when "XYZ company provided this to me for free to test", they're still giving the person a cool toy to play with, even if not cash. I hope he eBays stuff and gets some of the money back. Maybe his friends and family get awesome Christmas presents.

I like his evaluations. Clear. Practical. Simple. For most people, the choice will not be as simple as 'the fastest saw': it will be a combination of speed, power, cost, durability, manufacturer / dealer support, etc. For battery powered chainsaws, compatibility with other battery powered equipment you own, or intend to own is also important, due to the cost of the batteries. A few things to also consider:

Chain type - I assume that he ran whatever chains the manufacturers provided on each saw, which is reasonable. The (treated?) 4X4 posts are a consistent test media, but not what I normally cut. I mention this because I have compared the PowerSharp chain against a number of other chains, over the years, and found that it cut faster than many other chains in softwoods, but slower in hardwoods. It is the OEM chain on the Oregon battery saw he tested, but only in that wood. Since you can put other 3/8 low profile chains on that saw, it might not accurately represent that saw. Same with the others. Testing in a variety of woods would help. Should each saw be tested with the same chains?

Wood type - mentioned above: do different saws perform better in different types and sizes of wood? This is where torque vs. power comes in. Would some saws be better for trimming smaller limbs and others for bucking larger wood? Hardwood versus softwood. Green versus dried? No substitute for trying stuff in the work that you normally do.

Battery size - needs to be considered along with voltage and options. A 2 Amp-Hour (Ah) battery for a 120 Volt (V) saw = 240 Watt-Hours (Wh). This is the same capacity as a 6Ah battery for a 40V saw. Most manufacturers offer a range of battery sizes for their products, so, does it make sense to measure how long a battery lasts, or how many cuts it makes, unless balanced for capacity (e.g. one 4Ah, 40V battery against another)? Do the saw prices quoted reflect comparable batteries, or should they be adjusted for that?

Rapid chargers - again, some manufacturers offer 'rapid chargers', with fans and circuitry to prevent overheating. For some products this is an option. Recharge time is important, but for comparisons, he needs to let people know if there are options which dampen down some of the measured differences.

Again, I like his evaluations, and they are good reviews to include in decisions you might make. Personally, I really want to go out now and buy a no-contact tachometer, thermometer, etc., now (I already own the 2-1/2 pound weights)!

Philbert

I will say, I was surprised by the Milwaukee saws standings in the prior test.
I would have said it was way faster & stronger than tha makita.
It has impressed me enough to want one of my own... my uncle has one, and he gets a 8 ft truck full out of 2 12ah batteries, & a single 5 ah.
I have cut with him a few times recently, and it certainly does fine for his needs... I have been watching stihls recent electric line in testing by various channels as well, and I am surprised at its standings here as well.
The local dealer claims it outcuts a ms-250 easily.
I have not used it yet, nor at that price is it likely to be a purchase I make in the near future.
I appreciate using the chain that came with the saw, but it would be interesting to standardize the chain & see the standings then.
The stihl has a .050 PICCO chain, optimal for aggressive cutting & felling, less so for runtime.
it certainly provided more load for the motor IMO, where most of the other saws had .043 narrow kerf chain.

Very interesting results. I actually expected the Stihl to come out near the top in cut times given the price point of the saw. The fact that the Dewalt and the Echo mopped the floor with it is likely going to cause some internal reviews at Stihl. This channel now has a subscriber base of 1.5 million so I'm sure someone has already received an email at corporate haha.

I'd go for the echo if it wasn't so heavy...Lot of weight there. Not thrilled with the Dewalt charge times (139min??). Hmm, I'll wait to see what the pro Husky electric saw can do.

The listed price of the 540i XP Husqvarna is $589. How much are the battery options?
Rough (list) prices:
Husqvarna 540i XP - $600
BLi300 battery (9.4 Ah, 36V) - $300
QC500 Charger -$160
------------------------------------
Total $1,060 with one battery (should have at least 2) for the good battery and charger.

I have not used it yet, nor at that price is it likely to be a purchase I make in the near future.
It is possible to rent some battery powered saws at The Home Depot and local places. Some of the saw shops will have dealer demo days with factory reps and products to try. Always buy with a credit card so that you can return if necessary! I have brought mine to some A.S. GTGs and events for folks to try, but I don't have all of the latest models, like the Project Farm guy does!

Philbert

Rough (list) prices:
Husqvarna 540i XP - $600
QC500 Charger -$160
Total $1,060 with one battery (should have at least 2) for the good battery and charger.

It is possible to rent some battery powered saws at The Home Depot and local places. Some of the saw shops will have dealer demo days with factory reps and products to try. Always buy with a credit card so that you can return if necessary! I have brought mine to some A.S. GTGs and events for folks to try, but I don't have all of the latest models, like the Project Farm guy does!

Philbert
Considering a Stihl ms 170 out the door is 179 plus tax i would have to pass.

Rough (list) prices:
Husqvarna 540i XP - $600
QC500 Charger -$160

Philbert
Thank you Philbert. Man that's pricey. It better perform amazingly at that price point.

I suspect professionals will embrace these in tree removal situations in noise sensitive environments, but at some point it just doesn't make sense in terms of the cost versus benefit. I'd grab an affordable alternative battery model or use a corded electric saw before I drop $1,000 on a battery operated saw that will likely be replaced by something much better in a few years.

I suspect professionals will embrace these in tree removal situations in noise sensitive environments
Considering a Stihl ms 170 out the door is 179 plus tax i would have to pass.
That's why they also offer 'homeowner' versions!

Seriously, in the right situation, the $1,000 could be built into the project cost, and the rest of the saw's life is 'free'.

Philbert

Almost all of these saw users are going to run the saws as they come out of the box, so I think testing that way is 100% fair.

I'd have no problem with the price of the Stihl, or any other quality tool, but so far my 80v Kobalt has been great for me, and was ~$300 with a battery and 30min fast charger. I have four batteries, and that was plenty enough to fill my little truck with rounds of maple. One year I didn't even fire up the gas saw for firewood. The Stihl saw would have a hard time convincing me it was worth the extra $$, against a tool that already handles my needs very well, for slightly more than 1/3rd the cost.

Back