Project Stumpbroke 3120xp

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was impressed with the full skip chain 68JX. First time I have ever ran skip of any kind. My forearms are still hurting. It does pull hard. It also chucks rocks pretty good. It is a 60" bar. I ordered a 50" but could not get it till June. But the dealer did find a husky 60 inch bar. The 44 inch husky bar is also backordered. I now understand how this saw can break 3/8 chain. Power! I am very happy with the saw.

Me thinks it was a 60inch in that pic... We had to spin 172DL of .404 for that beast! :msp_biggrin:

And I wasn't kidding when I suggested a helper handle with a kickstand for starting it... That thing is HUGE, and Doug wasn't afraid to slap that thing right into wood!

Needed like twice the log for the video. Monster saw. My local shop had one with a huge bar like that on it, man..I picked it up, no running, just hefting it, two or three bowl of wheaties to grab that thing and sling it around I bet.

Here's a pic of the saw at the gtg wearing a 50" .404.
IMG_20130406_103328_092_zpsf197bede.jpg

And a video
[video]=youtube;xWgyaxVo-pI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWgyaxVo-pI&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/video]

is it just me ...the link don't work

Last edited:
Needed like twice the log for the video. Monster saw. My local shop had one with a huge bar like that on it, man..I picked it up, no running, just hefting it, two or three bowl of wheaties to grab that thing and sling it around I bet.

At least 2 bowls! Guys all joke about what Doug is going to use that thing for??? Well look at the log in Doug/Sam-Tips screen name pic above... and that's not the biggest one we've cut down either! that 60inch bar will come in super duper handy when we need to chop off 50+ inch stumps before grinding.

...My local shop had one with a huge bar like that on it, man..I picked it up, no running, just hefting it, two or three bowl of wheaties to grab that thing and sling it around I bet.

Mine has a 50" bar, much like the one pictured above. Yep, it's heavy. Try standing on spurs on a big takedown, setting that behemoth saw to cut down chunks from 30' up! It is pretty damn difficult to get your face cut corners to line up when all your strength is being sucked up by the weight of the saw.

Fortunately, I don't need to do that very often. It seems the only time that comes up is on big oaks where all the branches come together.

Mine has a 50" bar, much like the one pictured above. Yep, it's heavy. Try standing on spurs on a big takedown, setting that behemoth saw to cut down chunks from 30' up! It is pretty damn difficult to get your face cut corners to line up when all your strength is being sucked up by the weight of the saw.

Fortunately, I don't need to do that very often. It seems the only time that comes up is on big oaks where all the branches come together.

Never done tree work like that. Looks hard, but fun. My largest saws (80 and 94cc) only have 36 inch bars, thats the largest I own and have run a lot to make firewood. I ran Joshs masterminded 084, thats the heaviest and most powerful saw I have run ever. Ha! I was more impressed with myself actually starting that thing over running it. I go to stick it in the log and it yanked me in, pulls like a locomotive..

Last edited:
I had to change the starter handle on this saw. I could not start it with the original handle. Two fingers around the little pull handle was not enough. It would pull the handle out of my hand and that hurts. Better grip with snow blower handle and fires off good now.

Doug

Sent from my SCH-R950 using Tapatalk 2

The home owner wanted the stump cut lower and flat for FLOWERS. It is what they wanted. Stumping is the main use for this saw. With a 60" bar the handle helps. Plus it keeps the saw out of the rock and dirt when starting. Its a rock chucker! I like the handle after putting it on. I can put the saw in the back of the jeep and it keeps the chain off the carpet.

Two questions:

1. Why are you leaving so much stump? That looks like an easy stump to take down to "mow over it" height.

2. What is the two man handle for? Does that saw spend time slabbing as a sawmill?

This is for making "MOW OVER IT" stumps David...

attachment.php

The home owner wanted the stump cut lower and flat for FLOWERS. It is what they wanted. Stumping is the main use for this saw. With a 60" bar the handle helps. Plus it keeps the saw out of the rock and dirt when starting. Its a rock chucker! I like the handle after putting it on. I can put the saw in the back of the jeep and it keeps the chain off the carpet.

I get that pretty often too. Somehow my hearing goes bad, and I can only hear "I don't want to pay for stump grinding". We had somebody ask us to cut the large stump into bench seat for them; that turned out pretty well.

I like that carbide-tipped tractor saw, but it looks like a mess of problems. I like this for 15" or smaller trees: Tree Shear TS-15

TS15_GROSPLAN_AN.JPG

I bought one of those years ago, it's really a beast for land clearing. Take out about 1 tree a minute, and it doesn't care about thorns, underbrush, or rocks.

If you want to get bigger than 15", I recommend the Marshal tree saw. (Marshall Tree Saw | Tree Removal) Model 1600, it will snip off 30" trees easy as pie. I did a demo some years back; they can truly deliver some action, but they cost a great deal of $$.

Last edited:
Has anyone seen or heard from stumpy? I sent him a saw and got a message back saying he got it but been trying to call and message and haven't heard from him since. Probably close to a month.

Latest posts

Back