proper pruning 75' tulip

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
James the narcoleptic tree cutter also has some pretty good advice on YouTube as well. He mostly just does removals though. I'd post a link but my wife isn't here to show me how.

James the narcoleptic tree cutter also has some pretty good advice on YouTube as well. He mostly just does removals though. I'd post a link but my wife isn't here to show me how.

Lol I put murph on a way higher keel than james the narc, ole james going to die if he doesn't quit. I will say it would be hard to make a training video without looking sorta lame to peers. I don't know if he is attempting to beat his chest or just thinking he needs to help but I still get a kick out of it.

I dunno, it seems that even though the tree comparts the rot is still in there rotting.

And if you keep stripping lower branches you end up with something resembling an orange being supported by a toothpick. If you don't understand what I mean just think about how your last hangover felt... the orange being yer head, the toothpick yer neck. A little wobbly to say the least. I think of some of the pruning I do as " stormproofing".

And once you huck off major limbs from the lower portion the top responds by growing more. That is usually undersirable.

I mean, hey, if the limb gotta go its gotta go but to prune back the lower, thin the upper to let light hit the lower encourages the lower to grow more upright rather than outstretched.

A tree is kinda like a big shrub. If you could do to a tree what you could do to a shrub then you would but many have problems getting to the tips of a tree...Hell, many have problems getting to the tips of a shrub.

Lol I put murph on a way higher keel than james the narc, ole james going to die if he doesn't quit. I will say it would be hard to make a training video without looking sorta lame to peers. I don't know if he is attempting to beat his chest or just thinking he needs to help but I still get a kick out of it.

as long as he doesnt make a instructional video with anything to do with palms, ill be fine. :hmm3grin2orange:

So, on Daniel's tree there, where he trimmed the tips and left stobs. . . Would y'all bring it back to the fork instead?

I know when trimming conifer, you have to be really careful you don't get into old wood, and stay in new wood.

So, on Daniel's tree there, where he trimmed the tips and left stobs. . . Would y'all bring it back to the fork instead?

I know when trimming conifer, you have to be really careful you don't get into old wood, and stay in new wood.

Yes back to a fork large enough to carry on apical dominance but likely in this case murph had no such lateral and decided the small stobs would be ok. However; in his photos I did see stubs with a lateral in view which is why i mentioned stubs. When you come here acting like a teacher you should remember to remove stubs imo.

Murph, you have way too much experience under your belt for me to be too critical, but...

It's a lot easier to sell tip thinning on a big tree, when your big bucket truck doesn't get into the interior too well and the job is bid cheap on a tree that doesn't need much work anyway. I prefer to see the middle of the tree worked just as carefully as the tips. Yours looks like it got the skimpy end of the careful pruning treatment when you got away from the tips.

My biggest complaint about the majority of trimming in my area is all the "lion-tailing" that leaves no scaffold to the tree at all. So keep preaching the good service, just try to show us a better example. ok?

Yes back to a fork large enough to carry on apical dominance but likely in this case murph had no such lateral and decided the small stobs would be ok. However; in his photos I did see stubs with a lateral in view which is why i mentioned stubs. When you come here acting like a teacher you should remember to remove stubs imo.

A pickle?

Murph, you have way too much experience under your belt for me to be too critical, but...

It's a lot easier to sell tip thinning on a big tree, when your big bucket truck doesn't get into the interior too well and the job is bid cheap on a tree that doesn't need much work anyway. I prefer to see the middle of the tree worked just as carefully as the tips. Yours looks like it got the skimpy end of the careful pruning treatment when you got away from the tips.

My biggest complaint about the majority of trimming in my area is all the "lion-tailing" that leaves no scaffold to the tree at all. So keep preaching the good service, just try to show us a better example. ok?

Sheeit! Howz bout YOU show us a better example... OK?

Like I said: We are trying to do something with positive effects, avoid the negative while being constrained by the clients budget. I have no idea what you do.

But you all know me, sure I'm a little shameless... and I use the handsaw with the motor on it. Stubs? Got that too. See fer yersef.

001-19.jpg

006-10.jpg

008-11.jpg

005-14.jpg

The thing was hammered by the halloween snow storm. We can talk about what is right, what is wrong and how much its gonna cost til we are blue in the face. You can change your perspective but you can't change the perspective of facts. Well, maybe you could if you shuffle down to the political section but i wouldn't know nothing about that.

007-10.jpg

Poor murphy , guys comes with a incredibly genius video on proper pruning of a tulip to the point where he pruned it so well that you Can't possibly even see a difference in it and all you volchers have to say is "ya left stubs" I bet he doesn't get this kinda razzing on the TB ...

The thing was hammered by the halloween snow storm. We can talk about what is right, what is wrong and how much its gonna cost til we are blue in the face. You can change your perspective but you can't change the perspective of facts. Well, maybe you could if you shuffle down to the political section but i wouldn't know nothing about that.

007-10.jpg

That tree has a nasty and I bet smelly smelly crotch ya know from all that water festering in it and all ..

007-10.jpg

That was a great job on that tree Dan. Get the money for the prune. My son always wants to remove remove remove, I only want to prune what needs to be done. The reason being once you remove the tree it is no longer your cash cow.

I can't believe they didn't want it taken down looking at the crotch

That was a great job on that tree Dan. Get the money for the prune. My son always wants to remove remove remove, I only want to prune what needs to be done. The reason being once you remove the tree it is no longer your cash cow.

I can't believe they didn't want it taken down looking at the crotch

Ya can't take down all the nasty crotches of this world , there are laws protecting that sort of behavior ...:msp_unsure:

Do y'all ever try and sell your customers on a "do-over"? Meaning, a removal and replant of a new tree, something from a nursery that's already 15' tall.

Like on that split piece-0-crap above. If they're concerned about losing a tree, ya sell them on a replant. Don't Chinese Elm grow like 18" a year? I'm sure they're not the only fast growing tree. Or sell them on a hardier species for the area, that requires less maintenance, is less susceptible to storm damage, disease, bugs, etc.

That crotch is a split waiting to happen, like on their kid or car.

How many of you do planting, especially if the customers concern with removal is the lack of a tree in that spot?

Back