Property Damage? Need advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh God, yer right! I never thought about but I am sure he is running rampant on there.Pretty much everybody is on them dating sites and apparently are quite successful baggin bitches. Even if I wasn't married I just don't have what it takes to go on those sites.

My one friend was something of an addict and was pulling Christian chicks off the web, said they were EASY. Just a thought if you ever do get lonely... but what with yer chipper and chainsaws I wouldn't think you would ever get lonely.

Lol. Christian mingle, baby!!!:laugh:

I hate to derail this thread, but I need some advice on potential property damage issues. Here's the case in hand....

have a job which involves taking a a 16T crane into a unit complex
the unit complex driveway/concrete surfaces are riddled with cracks and hairline fractures
the crane operator uses a disclaimer form to be signed for ground damage

I forwarded the disclaimer form to the owners committee who responded by refusing to sign and threatening to take the job elsewhere...
I'm not sure if I should stand my ground and insist on a disclaimer specific to the fact that the driveway is already cracked and likely lose the job or just push ahead unprotected and hope for the best...

I hate to derail this thread, but I need some advice on potential property damage issues. Here's the case in hand....

the unit complex driveway/concrete surfaces are riddled with cracks and hairline fractures

I forwarded the disclaimer form to the owners committee who responded by refusing to sign and threatening to take the job elsewhere...
I'm not sure if I should stand my ground and insist on a disclaimer specific to the fact that the driveway is already cracked and likely lose the job or just push ahead unprotected and hope for the best...

You can not operate under these conditions without a signed disclaimer. You might be able to get away with something like this somewhere else but these people seem to be jaded.

If you decide to proceed with this job without getting that signed disclaimer, (insanity, imo) my $.002 worth of advice would be to first get a bunch of time-stamped photos of every inch of that driveway, perhaps by a third party such as a professional photographer.

Tell them to look for someone else because of the conditions of THEIR driveway cant proceed without a disclaimer. I have bought a driveway before and it was not a fun experience.

Thanks for everyones' response, the answers were pretty much instep with my gut feeling but sometimes its nice to have these confirmed. I have spoken to the strata management company (my only real commercial client) and they understand the situation- offered me to adjust my bid and see what happens.

hate to double post but I forgot some people

If your subbing the crane I'm sure without a signature he's not picking anything.

the alternative was for me to sign the disclaimer myself and take responsibility for any damage caused

Sell them on pruning. Preservation work doesn't cost, it pays.

You're 100% correct, pruning is damn lucrative, problem is there is such a limited market for it....

You're 100% correct, pruning is damn lucrative, problem is there is such a limited market for it....

Where are the limits? Everywhere there's a tree, there's that opportunity. If you know the work you can sell it.

It seems that maybe 5% of the customers I meet are agreeable to proper "tree care", but its a nut I will continue to try and crack-thanks for reminding me;)

We recently had a storm damage job (on a tree we recommended them to take down two years prior); half the tree failed, we were hired to remove the damaged and remaining portions of the tree. Working there previously, the neighbor was really snooty about his grass, throwing limbs from the clients sycamore that had fallen into his yard in the weeks before we pruned the tree; his lawn is mostly covered with shade, and he kept it very very long.

Anyhow, we do prioritize our storm damage, and got to the job within 4 days of the quote, and the night before we completed the project, the rest of the tree fell into the neighbor's yard; I knocked on his door, but he was gone, so we cleaned up the whole tree, including what was in his yard, and even used the blower to fluff his turf up. The tree had caused 3 divots which you couldn't bury an apple in, which we didn't fix because we didnt cause them during our work.

He sent me an email and called wanting me to hire a landscape contractor to come in and repair his lawn, wanting it rolled out and overseeded etc etc, accusing us of using a skidloader or some other heavy equipment to move the tree. I explained to him that the tree had fallen into his yard, and that although the neighbor could have had us cut it off at the property line and leave it for him as an "act of God", that they wanted to be good neighbors and have us clean the whole thing up as originally planned.

He dropped the issue with me, but wanted to know how to repair the way the grass looked "laid over" -- Mow it. lol

My policy is if customer property is damaged I ask them to get three quotes for the repair, or if they want I will. Once the repair cost is in I either cut them a check or file a claim. For the damage in the picture I would replace the whole driveway. It didn't have a patch mark in it when I started, and it will not when I leave. I don't want a dime from the customer until the customer is satisfied with both the tree work and the repair.

Anyhow, I was delayed the payment for these mo'pokers and they filed a claim and wrote a terrible review online. I'm cutting them a cheque. Going to get it over with. $400 isn't worth saving for my mistake. They said they will clear those review and claim once they get the payment. Lesson learned, moving on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyhow, I was delayed the payment for these mo'pokers and they filed a claim and wrote a terrible review online. I'm cutting them a cheque. Going to get it over with. $400 isn't worth saving for my mistake. They said they will clear those review and claim once they get the payment. Lesson learned, moving on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Good. you **** the bed, eat the cost, correct the issue, and drive on.

Back