Purchased a string trimmer

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IchWarriorMkII

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Yea, I was in Home Depot and grabbed a SRM-230 Echo trimmer.

I don't know if its pro-grade or not... but it ran okay for the first tank. Plenty of power (even at my altitudes) and its gaining power as I burned through the tank.

Anyways, cheers.

The 230 is a very decent trimmer. I don't know if they consider the 230 pro grade or not but the next model up, SRM260, is.

Nice choice.

The 230 is commercial grade. Many services use them as they are very well balanced as well as extremely durable and use one of the best trimmer heads on the market. I bought one this year after buying the stihl homescaper 55 model last year that I can't believe i'm saying because i'm such a stihl fan that doesn't come close to the 230. I also started running the echo crossfire line over stihl because it simply last way longer than stihl's. I would have to tap the line out at least 3-4 times each time I trimmed but now one feed does the whole property and I have a-lot of brick border to go around. I would never buy an echo saw but would never buy anything but their trimmers from here on out. My stihl dealer would love to carry their trimmers, simply because he thinks that much of them, but unfortunately that means he would have to carry their saw line so no go. You done well even buying it from home depot. The nice part about that is if there is anything wrong the first thirty days just take it back and they give you new, no questions asked. I support the little guy so I bought mine locally, he also threw in an extra spool of line and some power blend which i'm not sure of and knocked off 10%. Things home depot doesn't do!

I have a 2400 and have ran the guts out of it. Starts easy everytime. .090 line. It's an excellent weedeater. My pop has a 2100 he bought at the same time. No complaints around here. You should be very happy.

If you bought it at The Home Cheapo, its not a pro trimmer. Echos are nice though. Back when I lived with my parents I did the yard maintenance and we always had Echo trimmers. I dont recall us ever having any problems with them.

If you bought it at The Home Cheapo, its not a pro trimmer. Echos are nice though. Back when I lived with my parents I did the yard maintenance and we always had Echo trimmers. I dont recall us ever having any problems with them.

Just because it came from home depot doesn't mean it's any less of a product. It's the same one the local dealer has and the same model the lawn guy has down the road packed on his trailer. According to your sig you of all people should know that echo uses a commercial grade engine in all their products. Even the 210 they sell at HD is listed as light duty commercial.

They are great machines. My 2100 was bought used at a pawn shop in 1995 or 1996 and has been going strong ever since.

Just because it came from home depot doesn't mean it's any less of a product. It's the same one the local dealer has and the same model the lawn guy has down the road packed on his trailer. According to your sig you of all people should know that echo uses a commercial grade engine in all their products. Even the 210 they sell at HD is listed as light duty commercial.
Home Depot doesnt carry Echo's pro grade equipment. I know that models that HD sells are the same as what the dealer sells, but HD only sells the homeowner models, which are good units but they arent professional equipment.

Home Depot doesnt carry Echo's pro grade equipment. I know that models that HD sells are the same as what the dealer sells, but HD only sells the homeowner models, which are good units but they arent professional equipment.

Every engine produced and used in an ECHO product is a commercial grade engine!

Typical Yankee ignorance.

I've been thinking about buying a trimmer (instead of borrowing one all the time). Does anyone know if the Stihl trimmers are any good? I definitely don't need a pro trimmer, but I want to make sure that whatever I Get will last.

Every engine produced and used in an ECHO product is a commercial grade engine!

True, but the other components like the tap head, gear boxes, etc are probably dfferent between homeowner and pro lines.

I've been thinking about buying a trimmer (instead of borrowing one all the time). Does anyone know if the Stihl trimmers are any good? I definitely don't need a pro trimmer, but I want to make sure that whatever I Get will last.

Stihl makes great trimmers but so does Echo, Redmax and Shindiawa. Shop around at your local dealers and go with a model that is going to fit your needs. Like most things, you will get what you pay for.

I was given an SRM2500 that was used and abused at 2 different golf courses and then retired. This machine has served me well maintaining my properties a couple times a week for the last 5 years, can't complain for the price ! At my golf course we have 4 Stihl FS85's and an FS110 they have a solid shaft and handle the steel brush blades well ,I like the 4 tooth grass blade for thick grass/weeds myself. I bought my father an FS45 to edge his lawn and he loves it. It is hard to kill these machines, my guys are very hard on them.

BULLSH*T

Everything ECHO makes is PRO quality, they dont make a residential grade ANYTHING.

The Trimmers sold at HD are the same trimmers sold at a DEALER, and at the SAME PRICE.

God it pisses me off when folks start taking about that which they do not know.

You just dont let up do you?

Home DEPOT carrys the same trimmers that a dealer carrys, the SAME. Identical in every way with the exception of an additional letter in the serial range that denotes that it was shipped to HD fully assembled and ready to be used.

HD can also carry the full line of saws EXCEPT the 670 and 8000 because those do NOT come with tuned carbs from the factory and must be tached by a dealer.

The Echo trimmers sold at HD ARE professional units...

True, but the other components like the tap head, gear boxes, etc are probably dfferent between homeowner and pro lines.

That's the thing, There is NO residential line, NONE.

Echo doesnt design anything to be used residentially for 5-7 years then discarded, every peice gets the same care and respect in the design and building phase be it the small Curved shaft GT-200, or the SRM-410U.

The GT-200 is popular with homeowners because it has the torquey and fuel sipping powerhead of the SRM-210, but has the small curved shaft that many homeowners feel comfortable with, but it can be used commercially without any issues.

The SRM-210 is the smallest straight shaft trimmer ECHO offers and it can handle a 10" brush blade without hesitating, the gearbox found on the ECHO trimmers is the same at HD and at a dealer.

Back