purchasing first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jen

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking to buy a saw for myself, Stihl 020T,or 200T used - since brand new is a bit out of my means ($650.00 Canadian), is there anyone willing to let one go - and let me know how much....

Thanks ---
Sincerely,
Jen McLean
Belleville, Ontario

Jen, are you climbing with the saw every day? If not look at Shindiwa or Echo. I love my 020, but then I use it enough to justify the price (tooka lota soul searchin for $US425!)

saws

I used to climb for a company out of Ottawa everyday where they had us using Stihl 009 - what a pain in the ass!

Since I've gotten out of the commercial and more into the residential lately - I find that I am not climbing as much everyday (although I would like to), more ground work than anything. As I am starting to get offers to do jobs on my own and after using the Stihl 020, ahhh what can I say....anyhow - I just thought it would be to my benefit to try to purchase one.

I've looked at the top handled Echo's - there about 300-350 $Canadian. Which isn't too bad. The other company -Shindiwa - I haven't even heard of around here. What are they equivalent to? more towards a Stihl, Husky or what?

I'll keep looking though - thanks for all your help guys.

Sincerely,
Jen

They are more towards a weight of an 020 and run like a McCullogh on a bad day. I used to sell Shindaiwa, they make excellent "other" saws but there small saws I had nothing but trouble with.

Anybody use a redmax yet?

Jen, if you start doing any cash work, look into insurance. I'm paying $US 833 for $1m for expected $25K gross income. You can loose your ass if something goes the wrong way.

I have not had to make any claims yet but it is good for piece of mind and I can tell people that I am covered.

Yes, I have. The Red Max is not a good climbing saw. Its another situation where they make great trimmers and blowers and should have stuck with that. Stihl, Husky, and some Echo have it covered.

Red max

Is Red max not the company that , at the last TCI in November boasted a really lightweight top handled tree climbers saw? I have yet to see one around here though..... but if you say its basically ****, I'll stay away from it.:laugh:

John: I will look into the insurance thing...I have 2 small kids I have to be careful for...

Thanks again,

Jen McLean

I'd be hard pressed to recommend a used climbing saw to anyone. Not like a ground saw, kinda like recommending a used lifeline. I know it isn't the answer you are looking for, but perhaps try an Echo 3400 (less than $300) or Husky ($??). I've run 020's before, but I keep going back to my 3400. :)

The Husqvarna equivalent is the 335XPT for about 400 bones. if you dont want a top handle then the 141 or 136 can be had for under $200, but it sounds to me like you want something better then that

CS3000

I just bought an Echo CS3000 from Home Depot for $191, which was the advertised price. I thought that was a really good deal! I've been pretty satisfied with it so far but it's still new. Anybody use the CS3400? I'm thinking about adding it to the collection. I'm guessing it's a little heavier, more powerful, and can boast a longer bar? I'm just curious as to how much more you would be able to do with it compared to the CS3000?

Huskyman, I love the Huskies too. I guess the 335XPT is not going to be found for less than $400? If it can be, can you point me in the right direction?

Later - Will

willclimb

The 3400 is about 3 ounces heavier than the 3000, but much stronger. I've run them for about 5-6 years and like them a lot. Typically you won't run more than a 12" bar on the 3000, or at least not for a long time. A 3400 handles a 14" or 16" easily. I prefer the 14" for climbing. I usually won't call for the Stihl 026 in the tree untill I have several cuts over 15", and that only happens on big removals.

CS3400

165 -

Cool! I think I'll go with CS3400 then. Like I said, the CS3000 has been great but I've been pretty skeptical about trying the 14 or 16 in. bar that can go on it. It just seems like they would be little much for it. The best price I've gotten so far on the 3400 is $250. Anyone know of any better?

Husky , Echo

Thanks to everyone - with their advice and comments, I really appreciate that.

Huskyman: - I'm going to check out the Canadian cost of a 335XPT, Treeclimber165 - I think maybe your right, using a used tree climbers saw may not be the best bet.

I'll go back and check out the Echo's again - the top handled, cause hey, I'm barely 2 years in this trade, and when the money and work gets better, I'll buy something bigger and better!

Sincerely,

Jen

Hi Jen-
I run a Echo 3000 and a Stihl 020T and when it's time for another saw it will definitely be a Echo 3400. For me the Echo has a better balance and doesn't have Stihl's big flat back to get cracked if anything hits it. :angry:

cs 3000

i love my cs 3000, and mine came with a 14 inch bar. I haven't had any problems with it not being able to handle it yet. :)

Originally posted by Dave
<snip> and doesn't have Stihl's big flat back to get cracked if anything hits it. :angry:

Last winter I tapped the back of _my_ 020 with may hand saw. It was 15 deg F out and it cracked the gas tank! 90 bucks for the replacement tank!!

Echo cs-3000

Hey Jen, I highly recommend the Echo cs-3000. I have used the small echos for several years and have had good luck with them. They're really light, durable, and inexpensive. I just bought a brand new still in the box, never been opened 3000 off of ebay for 190.00 delivered straight to my front door. Hard to beat! eh? Good luck:cool:

Price difference between a 3000 and 3400 is usually about $40 or so. Weight is virtually the same, but you get a LOT more power with the 3400. The difference will make up that $40 in the first day or 2 of use.

I've never run the echo top handle saws before. The larger models Iv'e used have soured my on their product. The company I work for uses STIHL 021 in the tree and on the ground, 044 for the bigger stuff. I know the 021 is more of a homeowner model, but some of our guys will get four or five years service out of them. We have tried to turn them onto the lighter top handle 019 or 020T and they want nothing to do with it. Go figure :confused:
I like the STIHL saws and they have some really great, easy to work with reps in our area, but for me personally, Husky is the way to go. Ive gotten to where I am, do in a large part to the training sponsored by Husquvarne. When I pull the dollars from my wallet I want them to go to help the people that have helped me.
I kind of like that orange color to.

Louie Hampton

Latest posts

Back