purchasing first saw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have three echo saws the CS3000, 3400, and 5000 all good saws I use the 3000 for most everything in the tree that I use a hand held saw for,if it can just drop I usually use my power pruner. I haven't had any problems with the echos and am also fairly new in the buisiness myself for myself. I looked at the stihls but just couldn't put out the cash when I expect to bring in about 20-25K it wasn't practical to put out a couple grand for saws. I figured buy the less expensive saw wear it out and go from there.

How `bout this

Jen, if you have your heart set on a used 020T, look up John Lambert in the members list here and e-mail him. He is just outside (west) of Toronto and he moves alot of new to lightly used saws, mostly Stihl, and he is top notch. You will get a quality saw if that`s what he claims it is, and possibly even a warranty on a used saw, which is unheard of. He also goes by the names Yukon John, and Sunlover I believe on E-bay with MANY satisfied customers. If the link here doesn`t work for his mail, e-mail me at [email protected] and I can get you in touch with him. Other options might be as others suggested, an Echo, the current model being CS-341 I believe which is about $250 US through baileys-online.com, or the Husky 335XPT (snotty little saw) for $350 US through commercialcutters.com. I have dealt with both companies and they are both excellent, infact I just picked up another 372xp from commercial cutters last Tuesday. They(commercial cutters) are a quality full service dealer. I wouldn`t ordinarily recommend buying a chainsaw on-line or mailorder, but since you were talking used I figured you weren`t giving a local full service dealer the initial purchase financial support, and you weren`t expecting anything special from them in return. Not to suggest that you won`t get it from these two companies, but the logistics of long distance maintenance and repair don`t usually work out. A couple other things to consider also, and I`m sure I`ll get feedback on this: I`ve owned Echos, 500s, 650s, &750s used for felling, bucking and limbing, because they were bulletproof and I had excellent dealer support, but they, and all subsequent Echos I have used did not seem to rev like a Husky or Pro Stihl which can equate to productivity, and the user features like controls and ergonomics are like something out of the former Soviet Union once you become accustomed to using Stihls or Huskies. Find A dealer or somewhere else to handle an Echo before you buy one. Russ

jokers

What did you mean by the 335XPT being a "snotty little saw"? Is that good?
The reason I ask is that I just bought one this weekend and I happened to have gotten a LEMON! :angry: The dealer is ordering a new one for me, and I've heard nothing but good things about them, but this was a little disheartening. Could hardly get it to crank. It kept turning off on me. It seemed like the carb wasn't getting enough fuel or air. I ended up borrowing my brother's Echo CS3000 - because my CS3400 was in the shop with a broken bar-oil pump (under warranty). I've been VERY happy with the Echo top-handle saws by the way...considering the price at least.
Anyway, I'm hoping my new 335XPT, when it comes in, will be all that I've heard it is. The one I bought came off of the display shelf so who knows what was wrong with it. I dont like the lanyard hole on it though. Any tips on a nice way to set up a clip for that thing?

Do you guys think I should get the Stihl 020T instead? It'd be a few more bucks but I could swing it.

Snotty

Willclimb, snotty usually means it`s got balls, where I`m from. I didn`t mean to put any negative spin on the Echos, just that Jen seemed rather specific in her quest and I figured if her prior experience was all on the 020T, she might not be too wild about some of the features on the Echo. I had really good experiences with the Echos that I owned, but that was a long time ago and I can`t honestly say anything about their quality today. I do know that with Echos reorganization several years back, you can`t get parts for many of the older saws, but that`s not too unusual. Russ

Latest posts

Back