Putting left over chain saw gas mix in a car?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

genesis5521

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have about 2/3 of a gallon of 2 month old chain saw gas. I use Stihl oil at 50:1 (93 octane, no ethanol). Will I encounter an problems if I dump this in my car?

Not likely, just dump it in when you fill the car for max. dilution.

Just look at all the crap you can get at the auto parts store to dump in your tank.:eek2:

Thanks Driver. I have a Dodge Ram 1500 with a 32 gallon gas tank. That much volume should dilute it pretty well.

Don <><

Yeah just make sure the tank is nearly full. Too much saw gas will foul the O² sensor in a newer car, don't ask me how I know that.

People have told me you can burn up a catalytic converter as well with too much mixed gas.

Not at all...I do it all the time..!!

Just add a bunch of fresh gas to it...it'll dilute so much...car will never know it's there..!!
:cheers:

We have all done the car, truck, and splitter thing before. Anymore it work's great on my burn pile! Just leave your'e self an escape trail.

Usually dump mine in four-wheeler or mower. Never had any problems, have even run them on straight mix, just smokes a little.

Have heard that it will also clog fuel injectors if you run straight mix through them, but wouldn't think diluted would be a problem.

Two cycle gas in my car

I run our left over two cycle race fuel in the saws and my 1994 Honda Accord....neither notices it's running VP C-12race fuel.

I do it all the time. I keep my mixed fuel no longer than 30 days, then it goes in my 07 Tacoma. I know guys that actually add 2 stroke oil to their vehicles on every fill up. The reasoning was to lubricate the fuel pump. It's really a diluted mixture, like 3oz to a tankfull. I don't know if it actually does what they think it does, but it probably doesn't hurt either.

I have about 2/3 of a gallon of 2 month old chain saw gas. I use Stihl oil at 50:1 (93 octane, no ethanol). Will I encounter an problems if I dump this in my car?

If it is non ethanol it will still be fine to use in your 2-strokes at only 2-months old.

as a retired mechanic i can say it won't hurt anything,, just make sure the tank i close to being full,, i dump mine in my riding mower all the time

Any leftovers I get..not much, I go through my two stroke mix rather often..I use to rinse out saws I am working on fuel tanks and oil tanks, and if I don't need that right away it goes into the five gallon can of 4 stroke lawnmower gas. That's rare though, I use my stuff up, either saws or trimmers.

Was gonna put it in the auld laydee's Olds, but she threw a hissy fit and said no...

I dump a bottle of two stroke oil in my old diesel truck's fuel tank. I run it down to half a tank, then refill, dump in a cheap bottle of wally world stuff. How is that for scientific measuring? ;) They need something, modern low sulfur diesel has very little of that lubricity it needs, allegedly anyway. Read that on the internets, so who knoweth... The best there is if you can get biodiesel, it doesn't take much, a 2% blend is sufficient to restore adequate lubricity. In a test (I believe that was at bob is the oil guy dot com) it beat all the expensive aftermarket products, the stuff I call "miracle tune up in a can" jazz.

I regularly add Pennzoil Marine TCW3 to my fuel in my old '99 Hyundai and the '94 F250 to help clean the injectors, valves and combustion chambers, mixed at 1oz per 5ga. I doubt that aircooled mix would hurt, but it's not the same oil so I dump my old mix in the mowers and tractors.

i've dumped in everything that runs on gas. including my 97f150 with 270k havn't had a prob, but like has been said don't dump like 5 gal in an allmost empty tank.

Latest posts

Back