Quad for skidding and firewood

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zombiechopper

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm not a quad guy. I run a few different ones at the farm that aren't mine but I need to buy one for myself. My uses are a little different than what the ones for running cattle need to do and I need some advice on what to look for.

This machine will need to skid small logs and pull a trailer. I know a 350cc machine will do it but I'm wondering if there is an advantage to a larger motor or if that will really help or not. Also, what suspension style should I look for?
Basically, what would you four wheeler type guys buy as a firewood, logging type quad?

Weight and true 4x4 are keys. Polaris Sportsman is what I would suggest for skidding. Yes they leave a lot to be desired mechanicaly, but on pure capability there is no comparison.

I'm a Honda guy to the core but since they don't really make anything I would recommend for skidding I'd go with a Yamaha Grizzly 700. It's a little light compared to a big Polaris but has all the power you would need plus a locking front diff and low range. Also I'd rate the quality a little higher.

edit: on second thought I will recommend a Honda, the Foreman Rubicon. It's only 500 cc and still a little light for serious pulling but it has a solid rear axle and hydrostatic transmission. I've always felt independent rear suspensions worked against you for heavy pulling and there is not a better transmission for serious work than that hydrostatic. Add in Honda's claw hammer reliability and you have a real workhorse.

The Grizzly: http://www.yamaha-motor.com/outdoor/products/modelhome/534/0/home.aspx

The Rubicon: http://powersports.honda.com/2011/fourtrax-foreman-rubicon.aspx

Last edited:
4 wheel drive a must,,and you can't have big enough engine,,i would go with the big yamaha

id say a yamaha big bear 400, also are you buying new or old. Even a honda rancher or foreman. something around 400cc, 4x4 and diff lock and with a manual tranny even sra. You could probally do it with any of the bigger cc quads, just keep it in low and not too much throttle. Tires also make a difference. We use a 450 kodiak, and a 350 bruin and the 660 grizz once in a while but with more power theres more of a chance of breaking stuff.

edit- polaris is definitely the heaviest, tho their tranny isnt the best. And im thinking if hes up in either north sask it might be a litttle marshy, so he wouldnt want the heaviest.

Last edited:
I second the Big Bear. Lockng differentials and a super low 1st gear. I've pulled some huge loads with mine.

I used to skid logs with my 1999 Arctic Cat 400 4X4. Had to sell it during a tight financial time. Wish I still had it.

Now I skid logs with my 1986 F250HD 4X4 Diesel Ford pickup and my International Harvester Scouts. Hope to have my Loadstar 1600 up and running for the spring. That'll pull and haul some firewood! These rigs are a bit big to get everywhere that the quads can though...:givebeer:

Last edited:
Why in the heck would anyone log with a 4 wheeler? Get a tractor you silly girl!

Well..............in my case (and I'm guessing some of the other guys here) I'm not "Logging" at all. Just firewood cutting, both on private property (owned by friends, family, and CL-ad 'free firewood' folks) and BLM land. Tractors and crawlers often aren't available or allowed on the lands I cut on...:givebeer:

I would look at a Kawasaki Bruteforce 650 STRAIGHT AXLE. If you are gonna be towing and stuff with it you do not want independent rear suspension cause when you add weight it looses ground clearance. They make great power, have real 4x4 unlike polaris and have locking front differential. Also you can get a new one for less then 6k around this time of year as a "left over"

as others have eluded to, the biggest problem with a quad for this sort of work is weight. my little yamaha works great for most things (i bought it primarily to keep my long & steep driveway clear of snow) but even though it will pull a lot poundage on wheels, if that weight is resistant, the lack of weight in the quad shows up quickly.

Im not sure that a heavier one is going to help much, but if its in your budget, then its probably worth a try.

You're outa yer tree today mule....

sigh, yuppies. . . :rolleyes:

Some cheap ####er who cuts free firewood with 'antique' chainsaws and hauls/skids the wood with beat old American trucks and pickups ain't no yuppie sport.

:cheers:Think REDNECKS...............:cheers:

Last edited:
I can't recommend a specific model, because it prolly depends on what you can find....

But off the top of my head, for the best pulling/towing longevity, I would suggest:

liquid cooled

solid rear axle

4x4 with locking front diff, if possible

full gear trans, and not something with a belt drive

some aftermarket tready tires - stockers SUCK!!

maybe some kind of weight box, on the front rack?

I ain't "logging" spacey. Its pulling small logs out of the brush or peices of logs. It's all firewood too not trucking out lumber. I gotta get in tight spaces, and I need to haul it in a pickup. A quad would also be a smidge cheaper than a tractor eh? besides, "tractor" in my neck of the woods is a peice of equipment that no pickup on the planet can tow not some little garden implement ;)

Latest posts

Back