question about back cuts (Moved from homeowner forum)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EXPERT Drew Finn and his SLOPPING backcut

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rnon9_qAAg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7rnon9_qAAg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I almost forgot about this YouTube classic.

Enlighten me. How does a sloping back cut prevent fracturing? :msp_confused:
The only reason I can see that people cut that way is to be able to see if the trees is setting back on their bar without having to tilt their head.
I wonder how long I would keep my contract if I started cutting veneer cherry that way.

How in the red sands of the south can one question be blown askew :msp_ohmy: Sounds like the fox got into the hen house :hmm3grin2orange: Been enjoying the rumbles as guest. This site is hoot to browse. Guess I know how not to buy boots :hmm3grin2orange: I prefer the hand me down boots from some one else over new,got the money for new,just like to be a little more dollar smart. Never heard of this brand can not even find any good info online about themMore of a just for giggles when cutting firewood no need in the pencil post forest around here:hmm3grin2orange:

Man you guys like beating man or woman up for some weird reasons. So what I want to know is what is the hair in the soup about this back cut :msp_confused: I known there is reagional styles of cutting for me I am clueless to what the great stink about the sloping back cut,There is a a pro or two that do it on utub:msp_thumbup:

How in the red sands of the south can one question be blown askew :msp_ohmy: Sounds like the fox got into the hen house :hmm3grin2orange: Been enjoying the rumbles as guest. This site is hoot to browse. Guess I know how not to buy boots :hmm3grin2orange: I prefer the hand me down boots from some one else over new,got the money for new,just like to be a little more dollar smart. Never heard of this brand can not even find any good info online about themMore of a just for giggles when cutting firewood no need in the pencil post forest around here:hmm3grin2orange:

Man you guys like beating man or woman up for some weird reasons. So what I want to know is what is the hair in the soup about this back cut :msp_confused: I known there is reagional styles of cutting for me I am clueless to what the great stink about the sloping back cut,There is a a pro or two that do it on utub:msp_thumbup:

HE IS BACK!

The last 2 posts from the latest reincarnation of Superfire/HILLBILLYREDNEC (he has so many smilies I could not cut and paste all 4). Very interesting that "WeirdAlWood"becomes a new member the very day that Superfire (the original HBRN) is banned. Look at the use of the smilies (in the title as well as the body) as well as the content. If you were a newbie, would your posts be centered on what happened on topics where someone else was banned? Would you be calling out others that you had never had any interaction with? Or claiming that Superfire was knowledgeable about boots?

I suspect that "WierdAlWood" is not aware that while he can claim to be in Arizona his IP address will show him in Prineville, OR. This time he is claiming to be retired, which this new user name will soon be. Off to notify Gary to shut him down again....

Some people never learn.

What or who are you referring to on utub ?

Gypo, - come back on 16...

Hotsaws101 does a few trees in a few videos that are sloping for directional falling. When someone says sloping back this is what I think of.

The Side Stepping Video by Hotsaw101 in the opening frame shows a conventional face cut. The finish at 1:21 shows the back cut parallel and above the bottom face cut (gunning cut) as it should be. This is not a sloping back cut.

Sloping back cut looks like these posted by others here as examples of that dangerous and incorrect sloping backcut:

http://www.arboristsite.com/forestry-logging-forum/184831-6.htm#post3395455

http://www.arboristsite.com/forestry-logging-forum/184831-7.htm#post3396533

Hope this helps clear things up for you.

LFHN wow those are bad! What is the issue with the expsert village guy? I am just firewood hacker and know better then to do the cuts shown in the exspert village video's. I had a friend who cut firewood for years show me the basics. Sloping and angle backs are similar in shape is where I got mentally goobered. I am fortunate nothing in my area is very big. 10" is old growth :hmm3grin2orange: I only burn wood in really bad winters.

Hotsaws101 does a few trees in a few videos that are sloping for directional falling. When someone says sloping back this is what I think of.

You may want to look up videos by highcountrytimber on YouTube. There is a fellow out your way who used to post here who raved about his abilities.

Latest posts

Back