Questions about new saw 036 QS

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimbo

Reaction score
Hello,
I am brand new to this forum. First post. Would like some confirmation. I recently purchased a new 036QS w/20" bar. I also have a Craftsman saw. I have a few questions as I am new to the chainsaw world being just a homeowner. i have been reading this forum for about two months prior to getting the saw.
1. Break-in period is 5 tanks of mix. First tank at idle and next tanks without major load on saw.
2. Mix oil/gas 40:1 using highest octane. Can I use Craftsman oil as I have some or break it in on Stihl. 3.2oz to 1 gal.
3. Can i use Craftsman bar oil on Stihl w/o major problems. Past threads have said use what you want.
4. Saw came with 20" bar. I would like to use a 16" bar based on what I have read here and that I will be cutting firewood 1-2 cords 1-2 x's p/year. Do I need a Stihl or can I use another bar? What do you suggest? What kind of chain 3/8 RS?
5. To store it after use. Put stabil in mix, run it until in carb, empty tank, run it dry. Can I put stabil in with the fuel/oil miz? I have read that some oils have stabil in it. Is that enough?
6. Any other information for a guy new to this caliber of saw would be appriciated. I will follow the cardinal rule - Keep the filter clean. Thanks for all your time and help. Jimbo

Welcome Jimbo. Don't be afraid to post numerous threads, as you ask many questions in one post, and some may get overlooked, but we'll see what we can do.

First of all, you do mean a Stihl 036 right? Where'd you get that new at? I ask because Stihl hasn't used the 0XX numbering system for several years. The 036 became the MS 360, and then was phased out a little over a year ago. Is it brand new? If it's an 036 and brand new, it's been on a shelf for several years. Regardless, it's a very good saw, and will handle firewood with ease. That saw will also handle it's 20" bar fine. The 16" would work well, as would an 18", which I think most guys on here would recommend. You can still come up short, even with firewood tasks with a 16".

You do not have to use a Stihl factory bar, but you do have to make sure that the bar you buy is for that saw, as the bar mounts differ from saw to saw. Look in Bailey's (site sponsor) catalog, or online, and they'll specify which bars go on which saws. The 036 is a very common saw, and you'll have no problem finding a bar to fit. It shares the same bar mount as the 044, 046 and 066, which are three very common saws as well, so bars for your saw are in no short supply. There are several aftermarket brands to choose from in every price range. Oregon being the most common.

For firewood, I like Stihl RM chain. I use RS in clean, standing timber, but RM in dirty wood, which is often firewood.

As far as storing the saw, it's been discussed in excess on here. Do a search on this site, and you'll have hours of reading.

And yes, you can use the Craftsman bar oil in your Stihl. Also been talked about alot on here.

Again, welcome.

Jeff

Jimbo said:
4. Saw came with 20" bar. I would like to use a 16" bar based on what I have read here and that I will be cutting firewood 1-2 cords 1-2 x's p/year. Do I need a Stihl or can I use another bar? What do you suggest? What kind of chain 3/8 RS?
Hello, welcome :blob2:

It seems like you have done your homework pretty well, and it it much easier to answer questions when that is the case - good start imo!

I use a 18" and 15" combo on my 361, and I think a 16" and 20" combo is very sensible for your saw.
You do not need a Stihl bar, but they are nice. :)
Most, if not all, bar manufacturers except Em make bars that will fit your saw.
If the reason to use non-Stihl bar is money, I will suggest the laminated Oregon Pro-lite for your relatively limited use.
Make sure that the bar and the chain are the same gauge.
Imo there is no better chain than the Stihl RSC and RS out there. I use RSC, which is a low vibration variant of the RS.
I also suggest that you keep at least one RM (semi chisel) chain for each bar, for use in dirty wood.

Hello,
Many thanks to both Fishhuntcutwood and SawTroll for their support and suggestions. I will get the Stihl 16" bar as i think this will be a little more manageable as i get used to the saw. I have a Craftsman with 18' bar but have not had good luck with the saw, had it in the shop a few times due to carb problems. Thats why I wanted a good saw. Although, I see from these threads that even good saws have problems if you do not take care of them. Thanks to you both again and I'll keep you posted as I move forward. I'm sure I'll have more questions.

Knowledge is Power!

PS. Fish Hunt Cutwood; sounds like a great life to me.

Hello Fishhuntcutwood,
The saw is a Stihl 036 QS. I got the saw from my ex-wife. It was her Dad's. He was a Stihl man and had a few of them he used on his farm to cut firewood. He bought it new and never even started it so it has been on the shelf for a few years. I look forward to getting good use from it for many years to come. Thanks for the suggestions. Jim

Well that explains it Jim. Finding that saw basically unused is quite a find. It's a good saw. My friend has one that he's had for years. But having sat unused for all that time, the saw may need looked at. Do you have a dealer nearby? Have you run the saw much yet? I ask because after sitting for several years, I'd think that the seals and some carb components could be suspect. Perhaps not. It may well have been properly stored, but in the even that you do have issues with it running properly, it's not the saw's fault, as storage can be just as hard on a saw as heavy use. Run it, and let us know how it goes. I think you'll be very happy with how this saw works for you.

Jeff

Yeah I'd run a 20" Stihl Rollomatic ES or Oregon Power Match on it and go with Stihl 33RS or Oregon 72LG. I have no problem keeping an edge cutting firewood with round chisel. I'll get back to y'all about square chisel after I have runa couple of loops. Jeff is right about the semi chisel if the wood is truly dirt examples are if you are cutting in teh dirt at construction sites or there is mud caked on the wood.

I run 33 rs on my 036 pro with a 20 inch bar I thnk that is a good combo it has enough power to pull through the harder wood and not bog down. I wouldnt go any bigger with that saw I have never run a 16 in though maybe some day.

Back