[Rant] Chinese animosity

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost all electronic equipment (including TV sets) have a large number of Chinese-made components in them.
Besides cost (labor is not really such a concern in largely automated processes) the ever growing pollution restrictions of advanced nations cause a major part of the shift.
China now is producing the pollution outlawed in our countries years ago. The total impact on our planet remains virtually the same - probably has worsened as the population of avid consumers has grown a lot...

Oh, there often are, but not at a price that would be profitable unless it's military, medical or high end industrial stuff. Which goes back to my original comment about industrial manufacturing no longer being a profitable venture.

I'm talking tech ingredient for agricultural chemicals. China is the only source for various molecules now and mainly due to environmental regulations in the western world. These same restrictive regulations don't exist in China. Even though we may formulate these chemicals in our respective countries, the vast majority of pure tech for the specific formulations is coming from China.

Yes, seriously.

Racism
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Racism consists of both prejudice and discrimination based in social perceptions of biological differences between peoples, including forms of discrimination that are unintentional, such as making assumptions about preferences or abilities of others based on racial stereotypes, and symbolic or institutionalized forms of discrimination such as the circulation of ethnic stereotypes.

Ethnic stereotype
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

An ethnic stereotype, national stereotype, or national character is a system of beliefs about typical characteristics of members of a given ethnic group or nationality, their status, society and cultural norms.

So "Culturalism" = Racism. Its like saying 'All American's are Budweiser-drinking, NASCAR watching, Rednecks', or 'All Mexicans are dirty and lazy! At least all the ones I've met are... But I'm not a racist, I'm just a culturalist'.

I'm sorry, but I do not agree that you can generalize an entire culture of people, especially given you haven't met more than 0.0000000001% of the 1.4 Billion of them to actually know what they are all like.

If you think his comment was racist, you need to grow a sack.

I suppose you voted for our current "president" to prove you were not racist too.

Chinese manufacturing will follow the same path as products from Japan. What was once thought of as inferior will become the new standard that things will be compared to.

The Chinese build new, state of the art facilities with the newest technology. What does the US do, preach political correctness.

A country that does not make steel, (USA) is destined to decline and we are too arrogant to realize it.

Chinese manufacturing will follow the same path as products from Japan. What was once thought of as inferior will become the new standard that things will be compared to.

The Chinese build new, state of the art facilities with the newest technology. What does the US do, preach political correctness.

A country that does not make steel, (USA) is destined to decline and we are too arrogant to realize it.

Yup, the Chi-Coms can make cheap crap because they have no labor laws, no EPA etc. Even though they are communist, they run a more capitalist country than we do.

A part that costs $100 to be made here probably costs $25 over there, $60 of cost of that part over here is due to the government getting in the way. (Taxes, regulations, labor etc)

America used to believe they could continue to control the design and export the manufacture, but it was proven long ago that once you have the manufacture process, it is not long before you are the one with more knowledge about the design.

I recently purchased both a carb & coil of Chinese origin for my 044 #2, and so far they are both working very well. I did try to research which Co seemed to be the most reliable ahead of time. Although I like to buy USA, non of the chainsaw carbs have been made in the US for a long time, and regarding the coil, I'm not going to pay 6 times the price to get on made in USA (and not even sure if they are).

Part of the problem is that in a lot of industries, we have to learn to be more efficient again. When it is made here, U don't have to ship the raw material to China and the finished product back again. We should be able to compete, and in a few industries we already do, but we need to expand this a great deal.

15 years ago I worked for a company that made custom router bits and shaper/cutter blades. we tried Chinese steal time and time again to save money and even bought better grades of steel than we normally would. It was all crap! Router bits that twisted off and shaper / cutters that cracked when heating them up to solder in the carbide tips.

The steel industry and auto industry in the usa were killed off by many factors. debt, labor cost, legacy labor costs, epa/osha regulations on them directly, epa/osha regulations on the mining industry, not being innovative/ cost effective on the production line, labor unions and in the case of the auto industry just plain making crap vehicles and relying on reputation to sell product

the us or any nation can compete with china if it was strictly a labor factor but its not. Its EPA and other government regulations that kill our manufacturing. Heller files later known as Simonds was put out of business in my town thanks to epa regulations. they sold the equipment to Chinese a company if I remember right

Sad, but true, and it is getting worse. For example, the Dodd/Frank legislation is over 17,000 pages, and is estimated to be only half done. The legislation that will supposedly stop "too big to fail" is putting all the small banks out of business and resulting in an unprecedented # of mergers.

Unfortunately, the Gov has an insatiable appetite for regulations and spending money. In the local paper a few months ago, and elderly couple who bought a house in Scarsdale in the 60s are being re-assessed. Their property tax is going from $40,000 a yr to $80,000. I don't care how valuable their house is, when an elderly couple has to pay $80,000 a yr just to continue living where they are, there is something seriously wrong.

And with the mounting fiscal deficit (now $18 Trillion), stuff like this will be hitting lots of us soon, on the income tax side!

15 years ago I worked for a company that made custom router bits and shaper/cutter blades. we tried Chinese steal time and time again to save money and even bought better grades of steel than we normally would. It was all crap! Router bits that twisted off and shaper / cutters that cracked when heating them up to solder in the carbide tips.

The steel industry and auto industry in the usa were killed off by many factors. debt, labor cost, legacy labor costs, epa/osha regulations on them directly, epa/osha regulations on the mining industry, not being innovative/ cost effective on the production line, labor unions and in the case of the auto industry just plain making crap vehicles and relying on reputation to sell product

the us or any nation can compete with china if it was strictly a labor factor but its not. Its EPA and other government regulations that kill our manufacturing. Heller files later known as Simonds was put out of business in my town thanks to epa regulations. they sold the equipment to Chinese a company if I remember right
They were killed off by greed, they moved overseas and blamed the labor unions cause it was easy. There are plenty of union manufacturers in the USA and they make a profit, they are just not greedy and don't mind that the people they employ live comfortably.

Unfortunately too many USA companies are more worried how they look on wall street instead of doing the right thing. I fight it every day in my business.

I do agree I don't want Chinese products and try not to buy them but more and more is being made there, including products that one would never imagine.

Unions can be good, and Unions can be bad.

The purpose of a Union should be to ensure proper training, a quality product, good pay and benefits for their "quality" workers. A Union should also cull the bad apples to ensure a quality workmanship. Unfortunately a lot of Unions protect every worker, even ones they know have committed crimes and don't do the job, and many have also evolved into political fundraisers for the Democratic Party.

No worker in the USA should be required to pay dues, a percentage of which is used to support politicians that he/she does not choose to support.

When I worked as an Audit Manager for NYS and I would catch people stealing or not showing up for work, or working at two places at once, and the evidence was irrefutable, it made me mad as anything to know that my union dues (required) were being used to defend these clowns. Many bad apples stayed in the system, it sets a bad precedent and ruins morale.

I too go out of my way to source and buy USA made materials! If I cant find it made in the USA, I try to do without. Sometimes thats just not possible and I'll support our Canadian neighbors by buying their products, or Germany, Great Britian, Australia, Switzerland...where craftsmen have established pride and longevity in products over the century. There are many countries that we can count on for quality my freinds...but I'm sorry...I agree that China is NOT! Every tool or auto part, electronic device, piece of furniture, toy....you name it, that's ever been in my garage or household has fallen apart or broken waaaayyyy before it should have. I got nothin' good to say about products made in China...or the sell-outs here in America that allowed this to happen years ago...and continue to allow it to go on now. I'll never have a new saw either....figure if I keep it 1980 and earlier...dont have to worry about any Chinese craftmanship injuring me. I'm generation X....but I'm true to my country.

Dow

I forgot to mention also...I was an auxiliary mechanic on submarines from 2000 to 2008.....and when it came down to keeping water out of the boat, and oxygen in our atmosphere...and all our machinery going roundy roundy and up and downy so we could live and rid the world of those that oppose our freedoms......there was nothing on that boat Chinese except for Egg Foo Young and rice Thursday nights for supper. Our lives were not jeapordized by Chinese parts.

Dow

I forgot to mention also...I was an auxiliary mechanic on submarines from 2000 to 2008.....and when it came down to keeping water out of the boat, and oxygen in our atmosphere...and all our machinery going roundy roundy and up and downy so we could live and rid the world of those that oppose our freedoms......there was nothing on that boat Chinese except for Egg Foo Young and rice Thursday nights for supper. Our lives were not jeapordized by Chinese parts.

Dow

Good point about Chinese parts and lives being on the line. You won't find any Chinese produced parts in the aero-space industry.

Latest posts

Back