Recent Stihl MS170 changes.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I ordered a couple new MS170s a month or two ago, to replenish my dwindling E-Bay store, and lo and behold
the saws have changed!
So I will have to rewrite my item descriptions. It may be a good thing, as the huge influx of the cheap Chinese junk has hurt sales a bunch, I may be able to sell some more parts out of the different parts.
Does anyone know which parts have changed other than the starter and top cover? I see the air filter box has changed too.

Interesting. I've been thinking of buying one of these for just a cheap limbing, yard work saw. Curious about what else has changed. Is retail price the same?

Great post, Harley. I've also noticed subtle changes like this to the whole line up. That means replacement parts won't work very well, especially the cosmetic ones like the plastic housings that get banged up. That air filter may not backtrack either and neither will the pull cord housing. One has to wonder how many more models will be affected.

Why do they do stuff like this? Why not just leave a good product alone for awhile?

I got one new last then 1 month old.
Nothing change on them. What you have there is a chinese junk.
The proof is, The air filter box right upper have to say stihl, on your is nothing, but I see on the old one. Here are the pictures from my.
The filter cover is different on yours too.
Junk from China.

Attachments

• IMG_0618.JPG
    IMG_0618.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 102
  • IMG_0619.JPG
    IMG_0619.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 97
  • IMG_0620.JPG
    IMG_0620.JPG
    990.4 KB · Views: 88
The proof is, The air filter box right upper have to say stihl, on your is nothing, but I see on the old one. Here are the pictures from my.
Junk from China.
Is this supposed to be a joke?

Junk from China.
You just bought one that has been sitting on the shelf a while.

Harley. Check the serial numbers on the two new saws. Are they valid? That's the bottom line. This Stihl support number may still be in use:

1-800-610-6677

If so, tell them the serial number and what you ran into.
Thanks but,
I can log onto Stihl's website here at home and run the serial numbers...

Junk from China.
Are you talking about the writing on the baffle????
Yes, it is slightly different too...baffle 001.JPG

Back