Recommendations

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to say, I am fond of the Stihl pro grade saws but then again when it comes to "tools" I've learned that its often better to pay once for a good piece of equipment that will last years and years (regardless of the brand). In my experience, quality costs more up front but is often amortized (and justified) over the life of the product.
I totally agree with you!

BUT quality doesn't begin in the pro class! It begins with the materials and design a manufacturer chooses and the other saws are equally a quality product as the 241. Of course they are not built to the standards of a pro saw, but still it doesn't mean they are a "inferior" tool. If one chooses to review experience with "low" quality chainsaws, f.e. the Stihl 250, one finds enough comments here on AS of people who have used them in PRO settings and simply because they were well taken care of, survived that environment for a few years! So for me I donot believe the cool aid that the hobbyuser will be faster with a pro saw compared to the hobby saw class in his working environment! And definately a pro saw will NOT last one second longer and NOT amortisize ever over the life of the product for his 2.5 acre project! He could cut down his whole 2.5 acres with a 230/231 and it wouldn't care one second. It would simply be well used.

Of course everyone LOVES the pro stuff and is proud he owns this or that pro stuff. Nothing wrong at all with it. But VERY VERY seldom do people really NEED the pro stuff!

Personally I prefer to get the most quality out of my money and the brand name is for me irrelevant! Very seldom does the name Stihl fit into that parameter.

Again the above mentioned echo and other saws are all excelent quality at much less than what you pay for the top brands. And irrespective of what anybody tries to tell you, a 60cc saw will always be more powerful than a 50cc saw and a 50cc will always be more powerful than a 40cc! And no "mystic" AutoTune/MTronic is ever going to change that!

And last there is a reason why the 50cc saw has been seen as the ultimate all around saw in the past!

Hey all,

Firstly I want to thank everyone for all of their recommendations, it has definitely given me a lot more to think about and I have done a lot more reading and considering of options and I have narrowed things down a little bit. Perviously I thought my only options were new Stihl saws but after dooing some searching, a local echo dealer is clearing out some saws and I looked for some used saws on Kijiji too.

Here are my current considerations:
New MS 251 - $480 (the 271 is currently on sale for the same price too)
New Echo 590 - $410 (20" bar)
Used 346xpg - $500 (2 years old with only limited use with 16" Oregon bar)

Thoughts? Thanks again, you guys are awesome!

The man says he's going with Stihl then we should keep it Stihl. I wouldn't worry about a pro saw for what you need. Honestly to me this sounds like a good job for a 271 with a 18" bar, that is if your looking for a new saw. They have good av, filtration, not too heavy and it'll run an 18" great.

The 346xpg if it's in nice condition. The new echo with warranty. Either way with with your choices you can't go wrong. If that 346 is in good condition, you could sell it here, I wouldn't be surprised if you haven't already gotten some pm's.

The man says he's going with Stihl then we should keep it Stihl. I wouldn't worry about a pro saw for what you need. Honestly to me this sounds like a good job for a 271 with a 18" bar, that is if your looking for a new saw. They have good av, filtration, not too heavy and it'll run an 18" great.
3 posts up, he is considering other saws now...

Hey all,

Here are my current considerations:
New MS 251 - $480 (the 271 is currently on sale for the same price too)
New Echo 590 - $410 (20" bar)
Used 346xpg - $500 (2 years old with only limited use with 16" Oregon bar)

Thoughts? Thanks again, you guys are awesome!
346xpg, but would see if it could be bought for a little less...

For half I would consider the 346. You have no idea what it has been through, independent on how well it looks like!

But for a beginner I would definately consider brand new. You simply have garantee if needed in the first few years. That is something not to be ignored!

Seller claims that it was built in 2011(basedon serial #), he purchased it in 2013 and cut no more then 4 face cords of wood with it. A new 346xp will run me $780 in at a local dealer in Ontario

Seller claims that it was built in 2011(basedon serial #), he purchased it in 2013 and cut no more then 4 face cords of wood with it. A new 346xp will run me $780 in at a local dealer in Ontario
Huskys cost less here in the US, so that's where we're comin from...

Buy it. It's the best saw mentioned so far!

Yes a 044 is exactly what a guy needs for 2.5 acres of mostly 12" trees... LOL :laugh::laugh::laugh:

If it as to be a new Stihl then 241 or 261. Better for me would be Husq 545, or if used a 346xp...
Only reason I said that is because there's always 1 in the TP. And then another one pops up for $350. Granted, a 50-60cc saw is plenty.
He only has 2.5 acres to clean up. He doesn't currently have a saw, so he probably won't have much need for one when he's done.
My thinking; new saw: $500. Value of said saw when he's done: $300. Costs him $200 to do his project.
Used proven 026 through 044 (cuz they're in the trading post):$350. Value of said saw when he's done? $300-350. Costs him at most $50. And he can buy all the ppe he chooses and still be under budget.
If I have 2 15" trees to take down and cut up, and there's an ms241 sitting beside my 044, guess which one I'm taking.

Only reason I said that is because there's always 1 in the TP. And then another one pops up for $350. Granted, a 50-60cc saw is plenty.
He only has 2.5 acres to clean up. He doesn't currently have a saw, so he probably won't have much need for one when he's done.
My thinking; new saw: $500. Value of said saw when he's done: $300. Costs him $200 to do his project.
Used proven 026 through 044 (cuz they're in the trading post):$350. Value of said saw when he's done? $300-350. Costs him at most $50. And he can buy all the ppe he chooses and still be under budget.
If I have 2 15" trees to take down and cut up, and there's an ms241 sitting beside my 044, guess which one I'm taking.
My post wasn't directed entirely at you. But to the forum... It is common here to recommend a giant saw to someone wanting/needing a small saw.

I would not use a 70cc saw to cut 15" or smaller trees, but that's just me I guess.. :)

My post wasn't directed entirely at you. But to the forum... It is common here to recommend a giant saw to someone wanting/needing a small saw.

I would not use a 70cc saw to cut 15" or smaller trees, but that's just me I guess.. :)
Yea the 044 is overkill. I get that. But I saw it earlier and it came to mind. 50-60cc is perfect for him. Just having a hard time wrapping my head around $4-500 for 42cc's. To me, a new saw should be recommended for someone who is gonna use it atleast a few times per month every month.

Yea the 044 is overkill. I get that. But I saw it earlier and it came to mind. 50-60cc is perfect for him. Just having a hard time wrapping my head around $4-500 for 42cc's. To me, a new saw should be recommended for someone who is gonna use it atleast a few times per month every month.

While peeps here can vouch for the integrity of sellers in the TP, he's also looking locally at used saws. Since he's a first-timer so he likely doesn't know what's important to check and look for in a used saw and what isn't so he could end up with an overpriced turd from a dishonest seller. I didn't see anything in this thread where he said he's mechanically inclined either.

I think there's value here in working with a local dealer, as good dealer can get him squared away and do the handholding necessary to make sure he knows the basics of how to use and take care of his saw. He can also set him up with proper PPE from the start. Just my $0.02.

While peeps here can vouch for the integrity of sellers in the TP, he's also looking locally at used saws. Since he's a first-timer so he likely doesn't know what's important to check and look for in a used saw and what isn't so he could end up with an overpriced turd from a dishonest seller. I didn't see anything in this thread where he said he's mechanically inclined either.

That's true, this will be my first saw and I haven't run anything more than an off brand electric saw, once, a few years ago, nor do I have much in the way of mechanical inclinations, though this is something I am interested in learning more about. All things considered, I don't think I will go with the 346xpg, since I am not fully sure what I would be getting into, so I am thinking I will stick with the Stihl since the dealer is about 5 mins away from my house. Though I am not holding my breath on the service I would get from my "dealer", which is really just a Stihl section in the local Rona hardware store which never seems to be staffed by anyone.

Thanks again for all of the suggestions, as much as I would like to go all in and get a pro saw or even have a two saw plan, I will just have to work my way towards that if I can find enough uses(which I hope I do).

I figure I will buy the 271 since it is the same price as the 251 anyways or will I even find that over my head?

Get the 271 (18" bar if possible), chaps, helmet and extra chain. Always use the safety gear. Have the dealer walk through safety features, operation and maintainence of the saw etc with you. Read the manual from end to end. Be safe and have fun.

I am totally inline with the others that have recomended the Dolmar 421. Also the Poulan Pro 5020 or Echo 590 would be an equally excellent choice.

What I always find bizare is the recomendation for a top of the line pro saw (f.e. Stihl 241) for a fellow who has these needs live on a 2.5 acre lot, most of it treed, and I would like to thin it out a bit. Most of the trees I would be taking down are around 12" with one or two in the 18" range.!!! These are in my eyes absolut idiotic recomendations, about the same type as needing a Porsche to drive to the mall around the corner....

Any saw, even a elcheapo homeowner model from a quality brand, in the 40 to 60cc class is capable of knocking down your whole lot and cutting it up for firewood

But then again everyone has different needs and these needs have to be satisfied.

Good luck!

I completely agree that a Stihl pro saw wouldn't be the best recommendation here. I purchased and am very impressed with the Dolmar PS 421, but the op said he wants a Stihl. Curtesy of the fine gentleman on this site, I realized I couldn't possibly cut wood with a non-pro saw. My comments were intended to save him from buying a homeowner saw that he would ultimately have to sell at a loss. I don't think that is idiotic.

I completely agree that a Stihl pro saw wouldn't be the best recommendation here. I purchased and am very impressed with the Dolmar PS 421, but the op said he wants a Stihl. Curtesy of the fine gentleman on this site, I realized I couldn't possibly cut wood with a non-pro saw. My comments were intended to save him from buying a homeowner saw that he would ultimately have to sell at a loss. I don't think that is idiotic.
No offense meant but I believe you should speak with Chris-PA or other members how inferior their saws are and that it is simply impossible to cut your firewood, year after year, with the same inferior equipment they use. And that they haven't already sold all their junk is simply a miracle and shows that there are exemptions to murphy's law...

Why I recomend other brands is simply the fact that for the same money you get pro build quality BUT that doesn't mean it will last the average homeowner one second longer! With proper maintenence = correct carb settings, sharp chain, correct fuel mix quality, etc. even a el cheapo will last a VERY long time and cut a tremendous amount of wood!

I have never read here of a single case where a el cheapo saw was worn out by regular use! The typical culprits are straight gas, wrong carb settings, dull chain, clogged airfilter, etc. that kill's a saw prematurely.

Back