Require help with chainsaw choice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

300win

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Gday all, i will be cutting local hard wood for firewood use. Most of the time i would think only 2 cords or so a year.
Have used a 10 year old dolmar (66cc) with 20" bar.
I was looking at the husky 460, but after spending time reading away on the forum started looking at the 372xp.. Would the 460 do the job and i am just suffering CAD looking at the 372xp saw? Other husky saw options do exist, but being in Australia we get bent over on pricing so was looking at purchasing from the US.

Yes

Yes, you're already suffering from the first stages of CAD. The 372 will definitely get the job done, will make you smile more and you'll always be glad you bought it. It's a fine tool that will bring you years and years of owner satisfaction; you'll grin like a maniac every time you run it, and you'll also enjoy cleaning and sharpening it when you're not cutting. So just give in to the CAD; I think you'll be glad in the long run. You probably knew that in the first place or you wouldn't have asked about the choice here on AS.

I haven't run a 460, so I can't comment on that.

I cut less wood than you do in a year, but somehow I ended up with 7 chainsaws and a new hobby.

Olyeller

Gday all, i will be cutting local hard wood for firewood use. Most of the time i would think only 2 cords or so a year.
Have used a 10 year old dolmar (66cc) with 20" bar.
I was looking at the husky 460, but after spending time reading away on the forum started looking at the 372xp.. Would the 460 do the job and i am just suffering CAD looking at the 372xp saw? Other husky saw options do exist, but being in Australia we get bent over on pricing so was looking at purchasing from the US.

The 460 will handle 2 cords a year just fine but I would personally got for the 372xp. If you can find one a Makita 6401 would be a great purchase. The 6401 comes as a 64cc but it can be easily upgraded with a 80cc top end.

I was looking at the husky's since i can get them from the US reasonably easy.
the 460 ~ $560 delivered
and 372xp ~$930 delivered.
Just trying to decide if the $370 is worth it.

I'm just trying to save you from yourself; you don't want to make the same mistake I did if you've really got this CAD bug. I had a Stihl MS390, which is a solid 64cc saw much like the Husky 460 that would have filled all my needs just fine. Then I got the CAD bug and ended up selling it so I could get an MS460, which is much like the Husky 372.

If you think you can be satisfied with the Husky 460, then buy it and never come on AS again. If you keep checking in here you'll grow dissatisfied with the 460 and keep wishing you had bought the 372 in the first place. Then you'll have to sell it and still buy the 372 later. It depends on if you want to make this a hobby or just cut your annual quota of wood. That choice is up to you. I'd just hate for history to repeat itself and save you some back-and-forth in the process.

The ideal 2-saw combo would be a Husky 346 and 372. With those two saws you'll be able to cover everything and maybe be happy for a lifetime. If you don't hang around with us AS bums, that is!

Olyeller

Yep, i think a 365 would be about right. But they dont seem to be available anymore...A makita 6401 are here but not such a good deal at 850ish.

I would buy a Husky 359 before buying a 460, the 359 is basically a pro saw, very little difference between it and the 357xp. The 359 is a definite step up in build quality over the 460. The 460 is a home owner grade saw, the 359 a pro grade saw. If I were buying a saw for your needs in the Husky line for a lifetime investment then I would consider the 372 xp but they are getting harder to find.

Imho the 359 would last you a lifetime and would serve your purpose very well without excessive cost.

I suggest that you have a look at Baileys if you want a Makita $600 with 20" Bar or $650 with the 84cc upgrade.
That said I am unashamedly a Husky man and the 372 is an awesome saw.

Thanks Indiansprings.

I am now down to the 359 or the 372xp.
just trying to justify the extra $ for a saw that will get used only a few times a year..

359's are wonderful workhorse saws. the tree service i worked for used in their daily operations and always performed well! the 372xp is one the most like saws around. i bought one to rebuild. you wont be unhappy with either of these saws.

That's the tough thing about CAD.lol

You know in your heart the 359 will do everything you need it to an prolly a little more, but.......the 372xp is prolly one of the best if not the best saw Husky has ever made. Either saw will last a lifetime of your use.
The only benefit I would personally see with the 372 is there will always be a jillion parts saws, after market parts, etc. twenty years from now.
Our favorite firewood saw is our 361 Stihl which is comparable to the 359, we run it with a 18" bar and 8 pin sprocket and it absolutely rips.
We also use the fire out of the 044 and 460 Stihl that are comparable to the 372, we run them with anything from a 18" bar to a 28" bar with no issues, I'm older with some health issues and the extra weight of the 460 is beginning to wear on me. I hardly ever touch the 660 anymore.
Both the 359 and 372 look like they respond well to porting jobs if you ever want to crank them up a notch.
I'd go to a dealer in your area and just handle each saw and see what you like better, can't go wrong either way.
I hope nobody passes out because I actually recommended a Husky.:msp_wink:

Thanks for your help, I just ordered a husky 359.. actually due to a website not likeing my shipping address i ordered 8 of them.
One way of starting out this CAD:msp_w00t:

Thanks for your help, I just ordered a husky 359.. actually due to a website not likeing my shipping address i ordered 8 of them.

8?!?! :jawdrop: New 359s?!?! Damn, that's crazy. :dizzy: Well, you're gonna port and muff mod four of them, right? :D

Nice choice by going with the 359, you'll be glad you didn't go with a Husky 460. I just got back in from cutting with my 357xp. The 359 is very close to the 357, give it a muff mod and you're almost there!:clap:

Nice choice by going with the 359, you'll be glad you didn't go with a Husky 460. I just got back in from cutting with my 357xp. The 359 is very close to the 357, give it a muff mod and you're almost there!:clap:

Just get the 372xp.... You'll NEVER regret it. They really are a fantastic saw...:msp_wink:

Back