Restoring an 041 Farm Boss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Almost done. I'm waiting on a few items to finish it completely,and I'm not gonna put any fuel in it for a couple of weeks so the paint has plenty of time to cure. It's still needing a better condition handguard, and I've got a new 20" Stihl ES bar and RSC chain that'll be here tomorrow, a couple of decals on the way, and I've also got Curt rounding me up a few pieces too.
almostfinished1.jpg

almostfinished2.jpg

almostfinished3.jpg

almostfinished4.jpg

almostfinished5.jpg

JL

Last edited:
Thanks guys-it's been a fairly easy project so far. I used Brad's suggestion on paint, and picked up the Ford Grey and New Kubota Orange instead of Allis-Chalmers Orange. It's really good quality paint-but I'm limited to spray cans, so curing time is much longer than a good spray gun and adding some catalyst to the mix. I really didn't intend on going this far with it,but once I got it apart to do the small case repair, it just made sense to take it back as close as possible to it's original condition. I also port matched all of the intake tract when I was reassembling it. I ended up removing almost 1/8" of material from the heat shield just to get it to match the gasket and port on the cylinder and the casting grooves were terrible on the phenolic carb spacer. I spent about 20 minutes smoothing and shaping that to make a better transition. I almost pulled the cylinder for a bit or porting,but I'll leave that for another day if I decide to go that far.
JL

do you think the shaping on the intake ports will help the saw run a bit better?
With my past experience on 4-stroke automotive engines, I'd say yes, it should help a bit. How much, I dunno. Anything that disturbs airflow by introducing turbulence in an intake port will cause flow restrictions, and therefore loss of power/torque. How much this disturbs a 2-stroke is a mystery to me, I'm still trying to wrap my head around the entire 2-cycle theory of operation.
JL

I may just try that on one of my project saws!
It will have to wait until October, I have gear up for t he Atlanta New Earth Festival and get some woodturnings finished.

Back