reusing pistons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
no body I know smokes anymore :(

A few still do, cause they're blowing it up your a$$, I'd say run it now that you've cleaned it up. What does matter is the skirt dimension about an 1/8" up. If those thrust faces are less than 0.004" from the bore diameter, then scrap it!

Break a ring in half, file it to a square & sharp edge inside, and clean out your lands to finish it up.

The only reason those machining lines are on some pistons is that the feed rate on the last machining pass was too fast for a smooth finish. They have to make their daily quota on the machining centers.

I don't understand what a few scratches on a piston will really hurt? I've ran saws that had the piston cleaned up with new rings, and they ran just the same as they would with a new piston. If it is really trashed I would replace it, but a couple of minor scratches shouldnt make any difference...

I don't understand what a few scratches on a piston will really hurt? I've ran saws that had the piston cleaned up with new rings, and they ran just the same as they would with a new piston. If it is really trashed I would replace it, but a couple of minor scratches shouldnt make any difference...

Clint,
I don't know. the thought never crossed my mind to just clean up the cyl and re-ring it and run. I just remembered hearing guys with odd, difficult to find pistons who "scuffed" and re-rung them. Thought to myself just sand them down to see what happens and here we are.

It depends on how much was sanded off and if it's still round. Seems a sanding drum on a drill press was used here.

It seems like most guys on AS just want their saws to be pretty, and that includes the piston... :)

I agree.

You've probably seen this before, but this Poulan 306 piston is still running fine with new rings.

It's not pretty, though it is obsolete!, and looks like it ate a rock. There was very little skirt wear on it. If I ever find a new one, I will swap it out though.
image.jpg

I agree.

You've probably seen this before, but this Poulan 306 piston is still running fine with new rings.

It's not pretty, though it is obsolete!, and looks like it ate a rock. There was very little skirt wear on it. If I ever find a new one, I will swap it out though.
View attachment 401989

Ya know HotShot...I think your post was what had me scratching my head as to "how much" is enough to run

It seems like most guys on AS just want their saws to be pretty, and that includes the piston... :)

Clint,
you have to look at it like this..
its better for some guys to be cleaning their saws then running them if you know what I mean....
if a saw falls over while its on a bench or in a wash bucket its ok....if that saw drops a tree on the operator,,,,well then Murphy's Law shines

From looking at the "before" pics, I wouldn't have even considered reusing it. Cleaning up a cylinder is basically restoring it to its previous condition. Sanding down a piston doesn't fix it because part of it is missing. Just because it runs doesn't mean it's "ok". Get another piston.

From looking at the "before" pics, I wouldn't have even considered reusing it. Cleaning up a cylinder is basically restoring it to its previous condition. Sanding down a piston doesn't fix it because part of it is missing. Just because it runs doesn't mean it's "ok". Get another piston.

got another piston( new AM)....that didn't work either. :(
its all good. just wanted to see how much had to come off and where some might consider it.

There's a guy selling OEM 44.7mm pistons for $25 shipped on eBay. No pin or bearing. One C clip good. Included a crappy one for the other side.

No way I'd use that piston. Ever.

Back