Rhino line dye?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burnham

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I recently acquired a 300' spool of Rhino throw line. When I spooled a few feet off to check it out I got orange dye smeared all over my hands. I then ran several feet of it repeatedly through a clean rag held in my hand , and it never did quit leaving a strong orange mark, like writing with a crayon or magic marker. I'd rather not get orange dye all over my gear, and I wonder when it gets wet whether I'd really have a mess. I've thought about washing the whole line...
So at this point I haven't messed with it any more and am wondering if anyone has used this throw line and has anyone had this problem.

What is that stuff made of? I am guessing it's high-modulus modern line like vectran, technora, kevlar, etc. I know that many coatings don't like to stay on. I have a bit of vectran line in stock that has a clear coating on it and after splicing it, you can feel it all over your hands, though you can't see it!

I bet with use it'd eventually wear away, but until then, I bet you're stuck with it. If you wash it, I bet it'll get like....fluffy, and it'll snag a lot when you're throwing with it.

These are just guesses.

love
nick

AFTER it breaks in? Mine seemed pink to me right off the start.

I think it stands out better in the tree than the yellow does.

love
nick

Its really nasty when wet and seems to tangle up easy.And i will buy again,seems like the spectras a better line.

Back