ridiculous questions....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I make them yes get me some straight osage I will make you one!

That's not a problem at all friend. We've got Osage Orange all around here. They used to use them for fencing livestock here back in the day. I saw 2 deer munching on hedge apples a couple of weeks ago.

I may definitely take you up on that! :)

That's not a problem at all friend. We've got Osage Orange all around here. They used to use them for fencing livestock here back in the day. I saw 2 deer munching on hedge apples a couple of weeks ago.

I may definitely take you up on that! :)

Ok here is what you do cut 6 foot plus straight log, bigger the better, knotless and coat ends immediately re coat every so often and put them in a shed out of sun and rain, if you get several, ole ropey will make the trip measure your draw length and make one to fit. I normally get 350 but the wood will make us even Stephen!

Elmers glue works to coat ends!

Last edited:
Thanks. I'm just wondering who's going to be first to jump in and chew our butts for talking hunting in a "Climbing" forum...:laugh:

I don't know about you guys but, it's about 0 degrees here today. No tree work to talk about so hunting's as good of topic as anything IMO.

It was 10 degrees here this morning. Pretty cold for us. I am slow right now. Got two to do after Christmas but right now everyone is wanting to hold up til the first of the year. Everybody's Christmas shopping now. No one is trying to spend any money on trees in my neck of the woods if they don't have to. My last two jobs was a prune away from the structure so the guy could renew his Homeowner's and a tree that was in immediate danger of falling on the house; all emergency work. Good thing I am the ant in the ant and grasshopper story... ;)

I'm am all about hunting until the first of the year... Although I am planning on getting out and playing with my new power pruner here in an hour or so when it warms up outside. Gots to get some more wood in as well.

Last edited:
Ok here is what you do cut 6 foot plus straight log, bigger the better, knotless and coat ends immediately re coat every so often and put them in a shed out of sun and rain, if you get several, ole ropey will make the trip measure your draw length and make one to fit. I normally get 350 but the wood will make us even Stephen!

Elmers glue works to coat ends!

You got it! I always get at least one job a year of clearing fenceline of Osage. I will make a bunch of staves on the next one. I had thought about doing that before and seeing if I could find a bowyer that wanted it.

What were we talking about anyway:dizzy:

want me to tell ya about all the pheasants we have in SD this year?!

If I wasn't so busy shooting and cleaning deer this year, I'd have been out shooting a few hundred ringnecks. Still have time over Christmas and New Years though. It sure is a shame that the farm is a hundred miles away.

btw, two years in a row, my dad shot one of these...(see attached).

Havnt been bird hunting for a few years. I heard it's a bad year for birds here.

want me to tell ya about all the pheasants we have in SD this year?!

If I wasn't so busy shooting and cleaning deer this year, I'd have been out shooting a few hundred ringnecks. Still have time over Christmas and New Years though. It sure is a shame that the farm is a hundred miles away.

Used to hunt them in Neb in the 70's fun bird to hunt and D licious smoked under glass yummy.

Used to hunt them in Neb in the 70's fun bird to hunt and D licious smoked under glass yummy.

Incredible year for them in SD! Absolutely incredible numbers of birds.

OK, one more deer post - I just got this email from a friend of mine about a new possible state record mule deer shot in ND a week ago. Got to see the photos - if they're altered, somebody did a pretty good job of it. Hard to believe a mule deer could get that big but, if it's real then, holy crap!

Gross non typical score - 259 1/8
Gross typical frame - 211 7/8
Net typical frame - 207
Total net non typical - 254 4/8

I could pay you like 300 to help me get it down interested? here is a pic

008.jpg

HA! did one almost as bad as that last summer, had 3 sides blocked by the house, garage and a shed, it created like this little space in between everything, so what to do, poor concrete! total space was like 5' x 8'! Had to stand on the shed to put the Porta on! We had to 1/4 the log as we bucked it down and hand lowered each piece to the next guy, absolutely nothing could touch that concrete as it was only about 3" thick! and pored out of a bag I'm sure! I charged him for it and we goter dun, flawless victory! :rock:
It wasn't as bad as that tho!:jawdrop:
Ever seen the ones that they have IN the house, the whole tree! Seen pics, never in person! That would be a cool job, go prune their tree in the family room!:hmm3grin2orange:

Hey your not too far away , I got this dead pine the other day it kind spooks me as I am new. Maybe you could help me get it down I think it would take 2 hours do you have your own gear?

More like 6 hours, and I hate to blow them husky's out of the water with these wild things.

Back