ridiculous questions....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got two in the freezer but I let a friend process my first doe and let him keep some meat. I got a good count out of my buck and got around 40 Lbs of ground along with some steaks and chops. I need to get at least one more in the freezer and hopefully two. I got another buck tag so Hopefully it will be a big buck. :)

I got til Jan. 15th. Hoping to make something happen by then.

Good luck I have till feb 28 th but it will be my luck I will harvest a shed buck with 7 inch bases lol.

I got two in the freezer but I let a friend process my first doe and let him keep some meat. I got a good count out of my buck and got around 40 Lbs of ground along with some steaks and chops. I need to get at least one more in the freezer and hopefully two. I got another buck tag so Hopefully it will be a big buck. :)

I got til Jan. 15th. Hoping to make something happen by then.

I shot 8 this year (all legally tagged). About 150# of steaks in the freezer and another 250# ready to be ground into sausage along with 250# of pork. Will make the sausage over new years then, into the smokehouse for a few days. My mouth is already salivating. Makes good Christmas presents too!

First attached pic is of 4 (3 does and one buck) that I took out of a single herd. Other two photos are what I did with the mancab I took off of my 'new' chip truck. My nephew thought it made a cozy, warm deer blind...

BTW - my brother-in-law who runs the farm got the big one this year. I settled for a 'good-eater'... : )

AP

Last edited:
Now that's what I call a pile of meat! Cool blind!

Do you get depredation tags or can you legally tag that many in a season where you live? We get 6 tags here but only 2 can be antlered. We have management tags issued to us by the game warden for does but I never use one. 3 or 4 deer is enough to last me.

I shot 8 this year (all legally tagged). About 150# of steaks in the freezer and another 250# ready to be ground into sausage along with 250# of pork. Will make the sausage over new years then, into the smokehouse for a few days. My mouth is already salivating. Makes good Christmas presents too!

First attached pic is of 4 (3 does and one buck) that I took out of a single herd. Other two photos are what I did with the mancab I took off of my 'new' chip truck. My nephew thought it made a cozy, warm deer blind...

BTW - my brother-in-law who runs the farm got the big one this year. I settled for a 'good-eater'... : )

AP

Nice.

We got 7 deer and 2 moose this year, but had to split them between a few guys.

Still (my two sons were among the hunters) we got a full freezer between them all.

Now that's what I call a pile of meat! Cool blind!

Do you get depredation tags or can you legally tag that many in a season where you live? We get 6 tags here but only 2 can be antlered. We have management tags issued to us by the game warden for does but I never use one. 3 or 4 deer is enough to last me.

In SD, only one buck can be harvested per hunter (so long as you have a buck tag) but, you can buy as many doe tags as the gf&p has available for an area after the initial application process is completed. They're like $25 for two doe tags so pretty cheap so long as you don't blow up $20 in ammo trying to hit one. ;)

I got the 4 in the photo with 4 bullets. It's kinda nice when they just stand there looking confused while their friends fall down around them...

I usually hunt with my 357mag but this year, decided to use the 30-06 and go for quantity so I could fill up the freezer.

In SD, only one buck can be harvested per hunter (so long as you have a buck tag) but, you can buy as many doe tags as the gf&p has available for an area after the initial application process is completed. They're like $25 for two doe tags so pretty cheap so long as you don't blow up $20 in ammo trying to hit one. ;)

I got the 4 in the photo with 4 bullets. It's kinda nice when they just stand there looking confused while their friends fall down around them...

I usually hunt with my 357mag but this year, decided to use the 30-06 and go for quantity so I could fill up the freezer.

In my feeble defense mine were bow killed:)

X2

I quit gun hunting several years ago. But to tell the truth I could kill a deer about half of the time when I go out with my bow and I hunt a lot. I let a lot walk waiting for a good buck. It's meat season now though and I am shooting the first decent sized deer that walks by me.

Cool Rope.. Never been bow hunting. I do have a crossbow I bought, but never been out with it yet. Was planning to get out this year - still season open for bow so maybe.. but not likely as too busy.

Here is my best bow kill 141 4/8 p&y

002-3.jpg

Took the gob with bow too also my best thus far 11 1/2" beard

I'd like to bow hunt but, it's hard enough to get them into pistol range (75yds) where I hunt let alone get them closer for bow. We don't hunt the trees on the farm as we leave that as a deer 'haven'. No place to put a stand so it's either use a blind (like the mancab) or sit in a quarter-section fenceline if you want to get close but, like I said, 'close' for me is 65-75 yrds. Most rifle shots are 200-300yds but, this year, I shot most of mine under 200. I think my deer decoys (see attached) brought them in to me.

ap

Rope, I'm surprised you don't just jump out of the tree and club them to death with your 12" wood... :hmm3grin2orange:

I'd like to bow hunt but, it's hard enough to get them into pistol range (75yds) where I hunt let alone get them closer for bow. We don't hunt the trees on the farm as we leave that as a deer 'haven'. No place to put a stand so it's either use a blind (like the mancab) or sit in a quarter-section fenceline if you want to get close but, like I said, 'close' for me is 65-75 yrds. Most rifle shots are 200-300yds but, this year, I shot most of mine under 200. I think my deer decoys (see attached) brought them in to me.

ap

I imagine it would be a challenge bowhunting in SD. Maybe make you a hay bale blind and see if you can get them to come into crossbow range...

Rope, I'm surprised you don't just jump out of the tree and club them to death with your 12" wood... :hmm3grin2orange:

Lmfao I think I may try this bow next year and go on the stalk!

my Hand made osage orange with buffalo sinew backin drawing 74 lbs at 28" draw:cheers:

Whole lot lighter to hunt on foot with!

ropesbow001.jpg

Nice bucks AP!

Thanks. I'm just wondering who's going to be first to jump in and chew our butts for talking hunting in a "Climbing" forum...:laugh:

I don't know about you guys but, it's about 0 degrees here today. No tree work to talk about so hunting's as good of topic as anything IMO.

Latest posts

Back