ridiculous questions....

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey your not too far away , I got this dead pine the other day it kind spooks me as I am new. Maybe you could help me get it down I think it would take 2 hours do you have your own gear?

I could pay you like 300 to help me get it down interested? here is a pic

008.jpg

So, the guy asked questions about tree equipment. What's the big deal? Have you looked down through the threads for the last couple days on this forum?

Jeff with an allman brother thread, yeah, that has a lot to do with climbing.
Jps pimping for a clothing outfit.
Three chipper threads and two grinder threads (both of which are equipment if i remember correctly.)
A thread about painting.
A thread about snow plowing.
Another music thread.
A guy looking to sell a bucket truck.
And the list could go on.

I know why these threads are here, i have started threads in commercial that should have gone elsewhere but i like to hear what my peers have to say. The guys on the other threads aren't my peers. I'd ask equipment questions here before going down to the equipment thread because the guys here have more of the experience i'm looking for on the type of equipment i'm using. Why don't you lay off the guy, if you don't like a thread, stay out of it.

good post

I had to do a prune job last week where I had to submit my insurance to the neighbor and put him at ease before I pruned the limbs over his house. I met the guy there in the morning before I pruned the limbs to go over what all I was going to do. There was a large Elm limb growing into his metal chimney cover and was actually lodged inside the chimney cover. He asked me how I had planned to remove it. I told him I was going to gently pull it out with a pull saw and rope the rest of the limb out. He chuckled and told me the last guy who the HO had come by to look at it called the Elm a Cottonwood and wanted to stand on his roof (with a 10:12 pitch) and prune it with a power pruner. The dude said no way. He didn't want the guy to kill himself on his property or tear up his chimney. After he got home from work and saw his house with all the pruning work done he was ecstatic.

Point being, that is the kind of stuff you hear from a carpenter, welder, firewood jockey, treeman wannabe.

I can help. How attached is the homeowner to that roof?:laugh:

I was sorta think plywood could be put down and then cut four foot chunks and bounce em off the boards. I told him there could be some damage but my ladder won't reach high enough so I was hoping a tree dude wanted to make a killing for two hours lol:cheers:

Ok I'll stop but I must say some posts do make you go:dizzy: I love the lawn jockeys that seem to think the ornamental shrubs are their turf, we tree guys could use some cake ya know:)

I was sorta think plywood could be put down and then cut four foot chunks and bounce em off the boards. I told him there could be some damage but my ladder won't reach high enough so I was hoping a tree dude wanted to make a killing for two hours lol:cheers:

Ok I'll stop but I must say some posts do make you go:dizzy: I love the lawn jockeys that seem to think the ornamental shrubs are their turf, we tree guys could use some cake ya know:)

I did 19 ornamental trees at an office park last week then did 4 more at a residence. About time I got a little cake. I have been doing nothing but the hard stuff for the past two years. Every out of work yo yo in the city has been gobbling up all the cake for a hundred dollars a day since the economy went bust and everyone got layed off. OK, jobs are coming back fellas... You can go back to making your hundred a day goofing around the shop or cutting grass or whatever it is you do.

So true.. all the easy jobs get picked up by the lowballers.. anything serious at all they usually do not bid on. But then you have to work at it.. nice to have an easy one at times (especially around Christmas).

So true.. all the easy jobs get picked up by the lowballers.. anything serious at all they usually do not bid on. But then you have to work at it.. nice to have an easy one at times (especially around Christmas).

I did a job two days ago lady has already got me three customers calling. She herself was referred , I love free advertising :cheers:

You should try placing som used tires in a sandwich construction between two layers of playwood. Takes of the worst shock and I think you'll be able to manage withoutthe help of a tree dude. That way you can probably mak 20$ more for yourself.

A good tip is park your car a good distance away, and if you have any plywood left, you might want to put it up against some windows. Just my 2 cents!:cheers:

Best kind.. and usually less hassle as they already have some level of confidence in you (inherited from their friend who referred you).

Yes but some take more time to refer anyone. I split the whole tree into firewood no charge but it saved me a trip with the skid steer it made her very happy. She is now like a salesman on payroll lol:cheers:

amature hour

I actually lost a job that I bid to a fly by night that told the client to go buy 20 sheets of 1/2" plywood and cover his roof with it. they would then stand on the plywood and drop limbs and chunks onto the "protected" roof. the client was then told that after the job he could bring back the plywood to the lumber company and get his money back! "they do it all the time". I laughed out loud and told him he had to be joking. the homeowner took offense to my remarks, but I couldn't help myself.

I had a good laugh the other day..

.....a woman called and asked "how much for 1/2 cord of firewood?"

I said '$100.'

She said she saw some for $70 per half cord and asked 'what is the difference?'

I said 'About $30., Mam.':laugh:

I got some green pine if you want wood at $70 per half cord.. hey maybe I will even let it go for $50..! Course be a bit more if you want it cut and split.

I said '$100.'

That right there was funny, I don't care who you are:laugh:

Of course the cheaper one; I get the picture of some one toofed cat getting out with beer cans rolling out of his buick lesaber ,converted to truck ! With personalized license plates saying woodbuggah :hmm3grin2orange: I will pay for that lol

Last edited:

I said '$100.'

$100 for a rick is pretty good. It averages about $75 for a rick here. I saw someone selling it for $80 a rick yesterday. No one has a concept of a cord of wood here. They order 2 ricks... Even the tree guys and firewood guys refer to a cord as two ricks...

$100 for a rick is pretty good. It averages about $75 for a rick here. I saw someone selling it for $80 a rick yesterday. No one has a concept of a cord of wood here. They order 2 ricks... Even the tree guys and firewood guys refer to a cord as two ricks...

What lengths do you guys cut the wood to get 2 ricks to equal a cord.. or 1 rick to be a 1/2 cord?

We cut normally 16" lengths, and it takes 3 rows to make 1 cord.

It is actually not legal to sell by other than cord, fraction of cord or cu ft in Canada (although lots still do).

http://www.gov.ns.ca/NATR/publications/energy/buyfirewood.pdf

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/mc-mc.nsf/eng/lm03963.html

Yup I saw a wanted add on C-list cord wanted 120 I left a message good luck on getting a cord for that. He called me and said I get 2 stacks 4 by 8 16" wood . I told him that is 2/3 of a cord and I could haul him some for that as he is practically my neighbor.

Back