Ruh Roh (post your goofs here)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Logging has slowed to virtually nothing, so I get paid to clean up after storms.
Here's My Bad from yesterday. Things went very well, then the tree shifted and bar got stuck. This is the one day I did not have the Barbie Saw along as a backup. So, I got the wedges in, took the saw head off, then the bar came out. Had gone shopping on Wed. so had brand new extra chains. Touched the wood from the other side and chain was freed. Of course, soon as the saw got stuck, the weather went from light drizzle to downpour.

Had an hour to cut after work before it got dark. Grab my trusty pallet saw that I carry in the truck. I was having a few beers and putzen around in the basement sharpening and cleaning saws one nite. Fire up the saw and go to cut and the chains on backwards. Of course, I didn't have the scrench.with me. The next day those pallets were pitched by the laborers.

ok, ill show my inexperience with my 051 here, how do you get the saw of a pinched bar with an outboard clutch? done it with the 048 and my pp260, but i dont think i could do it with the 51, suggestions?

This morning I replaced the oiler on a craftsman, took it outside to start it and discovered that I had left the piston stop in. Duh. Saws run great like that.

Your first mistake was trying to cut sod with your saw!:rock:

That sod is moss and lichens and is part of our delicate rain forest ecosystem. Moss is handy to wipe oily hands on, after :deadhorse: overfilling the bar oil tank, and can be used to wipe other body parts with when there is a paper shortage. Unfortunately, our moss also contains small amounts of volcanic ash which might make it a little rougher than say, Charmin. :eek:

That sod is moss and lichens and is part of our delicate rain forest ecosystem. Moss is handy to wipe oily hands on, after :deadhorse: overfilling the bar oil tank, and can be used to wipe other body parts with when there is a paper shortage. Unfortunately, our moss also contains small amounts of volcanic ash which might make it a little rougher than say, Charmin. :eek:

Ok, I wanna go there, but i already have an infraction......:popcorn:

ok, ill show my inexperience with my 051 here, how do you get the saw of a pinched bar with an outboard clutch? done it with the 048 and my pp260, but i dont think i could do it with the 51, suggestions?

I did it taking a tree off a garage after Ivan. Pinched the bar and took the head off, don't know how but it wasn't easy. So I guess I'm no help.
Rob

Made a new chain for a saw at work, put it on the clutch, slid the bar on, put the clutch cover on, snugged down the nuts, then backed off a turn to tension the chain.

I bring out the adjuster and I see the chain slack taking up, up, gone...NICE

I give it a snap test and it's perfect, i go to give it a slide, and it wont. Wont move for anything. So I loosen the adjuster, put some sag in it..wont move. I spray a little PB blaster on the bar, chain seems loose all the way around, Im dumbfounded.

I look up and the chain brake arm looks like it is in the un tripped position....I give it a pull back and SNAP.:censored: :censored:

Now I triple check, every time.

If you first tried everything under the sun. Provided you had an extra bar & chain, and had some tools. You might be able to remove the clutch assembly and then free the saw. You obviously would have to remove the spark plug and rope the cylinder. I have read where individuals have pulled out some of the starter rope out of the recoil and used that. I do not think that would help the life span of your starter rope. In an emergency who knows? I would rather lose a bar & chain verses a whole saw.

I bent a bar in the summer, bad, I got the bar pinched, fell the tree with another saw and it split vertically, bent it good. The I got my woman to take the saw to a shop with the chain so she would be sure to get the right new bar. They charged her to put it on, c'mon guys, like do you think it was hers? Lots of women out there running 371s with a 28" bar, not. Once I was driving around in my truck with a saw in the back and the spare was sliding around pretty good and bent my bar. Oh well, easy come easy go, they were just Powermatch, not Cannons, then I would have been choked.

I rented a 12" chipper to get rid of some dead falls and split rail fence when we bought our property. The entire day went fine untill I went to return the chipper. First I hit a tree going 5-6mph while towing the machine out of the yard, I looked to see if I was clear of a nearby tree and when I looked ahead.....Whamo, A Tree!

There was much laughter and joking at my expence.

i bought a Stihl :bang: in july only got to use it 3 times, been in the shop for a month and a half

I bent a bar in the summer, bad, I got the bar pinched, fell the tree with another saw and it split vertically, bent it good. The I got my woman to take the saw to a shop with the chain so she would be sure to get the right new bar. They charged her to put it on, c'mon guys, like do you think it was hers? Lots of women out there running 371s with a 28" bar, not. Once I was driving around in my truck with a saw in the back and the spare was sliding around pretty good and bent my bar. Oh well, easy come easy go, they were just Powermatch, not Cannons, then I would have been choked.

I took the Barbiesized Saw in on Wednesday morning to show the saw shop guy what kind of chains I wanted for Twinkle. He was great. Didn't even bat an eye and told me what I thought, it was the chain that would take the most trashing, like when cutting through dirty moss. Didn't try to talk me into the safety chain. My friend runs a 361 with a 28" bar and of course Twinkle and The Barbie Saw are 440s with 28" bar and we're gradually getting the word out that after you work up and get stronger, the bigger saws are faster, therefore easier, to cut with. Her husband talked her into buying the bigger saw cuz she was using his and he doesn't like to share. She runs a saw more than he does, her family has a tree farm where there is a lot of cleanup work to be done. I go out once in a while and dump little snags. We call it "saw practice." As in, Saw Practice tonight after work. I get firewood out of it. I don't fall asleep at saw practice like I was doing at knitting practice. :greenchainsaw:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back