run-ins with the law

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
City folk in country dwellin's

I live in a tourist area, and we have alot of"imports" from Kansas City and St. Louis that have second homes here, and since the baby boomers are retiring, alot are moving here "to be close to the Lake".

What I really think is funny in a way is.. all these people move to the "country" but live in Subdivisions, so the neighbors are all close by, relativly speaking. Move to the country to get away from people in the city, but move to a place where people are.. makes sense to me:D

We have the same problems here. The area I live in is classed as agricultural and has 40 acre minimum zoning. About five miles away, toward town, the minimum is five acres and it creeps a little closer to me every year.
I'll probably be able to keep this place for the rest of my life...we fight any zoning change tooth and nail. Luckily, the other people in my area don't want development and all the attendant problems that go with it.

The only trespassers we have here are hunters. During pheasant season our pastures are loaded with birds...also quail, ducks, and geese in the rice fields next door. We have cows here so we don't hunt and we actively discourage anyone else from doing it. They still come in though, brazen as hell..."Oh, I didn't see the No Hunting/No Trespassing signs" that are on about every fourth fence post and on every gate. "Well, can't we just hunt a little bit? I see lots of pheasant out there". I tell them I'm not running a hunting club.
I usually give a small lecture with my degree of rudeness depending on the audience and they get the hell out.

Well if you have lived in the country all your life you will just ruin the land. Know nothing know it alls have to save it, you are their burden.:dizzy:

I can't make much sence of this. DIS GUI IZ SMAURT. Ya go tell any farmer he is ruin'in the land and see what that get's you. It's all the people from the city moven to the country that create these problems. You can't say it's not true. The country folk were just fine before you arrived and will be here when you die. I alway's thought of how life would change in this country under the threat of atomic war. The city people would curl up and die, not knowing how food is grown, how animals are raised, how to stay warn when there is no eletricity. How to hunt for food. What it would be like to be around nature other than the zoo. What your word means. What a wild animal taste like and what plant's you can eat. Most city folks don't have a clue HOW TO SURVIVE. I have lived in the country most my life and one thing for sure. You will die before I would. I won't run, I will fight, to the death if need be. One atom bomb and all that save the planet, stupid laws, and I have the right to sue ****. Goes right out your window.

I can't make much sence of this. DIS GUI IZ SMAURT. Ya go tell any farmer he is ruin'in the land and see what that get's you. It's all the people from the city moven to the country that create these problems. You can't say it's not true. The country folk were just fine before you arrived and will be here when you die. I alway's thought of how life would change in this country under the threat of atomic war. The city people would curl up and die, not knowing how food is grown, how animals are raised, how to stay warn when there is no eletricity. How to hunt for food. What it would be like to be around nature other than the zoo. What your word means. What a wild animal taste like and what plant's you can eat. Most city folks don't have a clue HOW TO SURVIVE. I have lived in the country most my life and one thing for sure. You will die before I would. I won't run, I will fight, to the death if need be. One atom bomb and all that save the planet, stupid laws, and I have the right to sue ****. Goes right out your window.

You are right about they would not know how to survive,but they would use guns to take what you have.in this day and age all country people should be armed to the teeth to protect what they have ,the days of cheep and plentyfull are gone..........

I was hunting on my own land (posted) I lived on for > 45 years and new neighbor (never seen her in my life before this....) comes by with dog on cross country skis:

"This land is posted, what are you doing hunting here?".

"Yes it's posted, thats my name on the signs, I'm the one that posted it, you are trespassing." With that she became a bit flustered............

P.S. My favorite bumper sticker: I was hunting for 40 years before you moved here

LOL, Good one T!:clap: :cheers: Sheesh these people!

You are right about they would not know how to survive,but they would use guns to take what you have.in this day and age all country people should be armed to the teeth to protect what they have ,the days of cheep and plentyfull are gone..........

OH YEAH!! When they are hungry they will come to take what you have!

It's getting bad out their folks, I grew up in upstate NY where my folks live still. when I take my family to visit I camp with my 7 year old son on the backside of their property. My Dad just told me that you cannot have open fires there due to air pollution. now I have to explain to my son that we cannot have our camp fire.
What purpose does this serve? I miss out on a bonding moment with my son because of a little wood smoke?? Whats going on???

We used to race at a track in Ohio. The place was there since the 50's or 60's. It was out in some nice farm country. People started building $400,000 homes right across the road from the place. We were laughing about it.

Don't ya know those idiots who bought those houses started complaining about the noise on the weekends. I think some lawsuits were filed but they didn't go anywhere. Those realitors must have been showing those homes at nite.

We had the same issue at a trap range north of Kansas City in Smithville. Huge houses, just an hour outside city limits. People had been shooting out there for decades, probably a couple feet of lead and clay on the ground.

Huge houses wanted the shooting to stop at night, didn't get their way.

KC sux as a place to live. I have been battling the city over its parking for years and had enough of their bullhocky and that crime infested city and moved permanently to my summer place at the Lake of the Ozarks but it isn't much better there. The impetus of the move was at least I could live off of fish and what I can grow and heat with firewood if things got really bad and if you think of it-they are!

(Back to the LOZ) The Homeowner's association which has been declared not a legal association by a court decision 2 years ago but they still had the gall to raise dues without preparing a proxy for the homeowners. There never has been any accountability of the money and nothing is being done with it. I have never seen a balance sheet or expense statement prepared nor does the association possess the legal requirement of having a reporting federal ID number. These guys also have the gall to attach a lien on your property if you don't pay. I have gave them an ultimatum to provide the proper reporting
information or else I will expose their fraud.

I've got some neighbors that don't care for my woodpile. For the second year in a row, they've called the city on me. The code enforcement officer has told me, but has not produced, an ordinance that my wood must be 12" OFF the ground. I think the ordinance says minimum 12" high, to be sure it is a wood pile and not scattered wood. They're going to look it up and get back to me, but I'm sick of getting in trouble for processing my own wood.

And to make matters worse, the same neighbors called the city on me for having a small burn pile. I had three fire trucks and an ambulance show up with two police officers. They were right, my county doesn't allow open burns, so I'm going to get the biggest fire pit I can so I can legally burn what doesn't fit in my fireplace insert.

A little other history, they tried to get us in trouble for keeping chickens, but our city allows them. So they just wrote letters to the editor targeting us as making the street look like a third world country.

I'm wondering why it is such a big concern that people doing things "the old way" ie where nobody profits like the supermarket or the gas company seems so barbaric and out of place in civilized society. Is this what drives people to live out in the country? Cause I'm sure feeling like doing that.

We live in rural Arkansas on a ridge above a river, 1/4 mile from the county road. I can and do go out on our 56ft. lg front porch and pee off of it while admiring the mountains and forests.

I set up my crow caller on that same porch and shotgun em' till they get wise.

I have wood piles here and there. There are 4 wheelers, tractors, equipment and implements sitting around.

I have a 15ft. sq. fenced in area to burn trash and pile it up till we have a good rain then burn it all.

I asked no mans permission to live how I live and had no help in homesteading our place.

Down at our old trailer where we used to live I dug our septic tank with a pick and shovel and the field lines too.

I've shot coyotes, wolves, wild dogs, snakes, possums, armadillos, crows, skunks and half starved abandoned dogs that were beyond human help.

I shoot deer, squirrels and turkeys and we eat them as a regular part of our diet.

My only complaint? That my place is not 50 miles further from "civilization." Give me the sticks over arrogant city slicker neighbors anytime.

Move to the sticks.....you'll never regret it! :clap:
DSC00633-1.jpg

Last edited:
yea...i always swear that if i won the big lottery, i'll buy 10,000 acres of land in montana and put a house right in the center of it. that way, i know no one will be around for quite a distance.

and, don't feel too bad about having "run in's " with the law.....it looks like 1 out of every 100 americans do too:

NEW YORK (AP) — For the first time in U.S. history, more than one of every 100 adults is in jail or prison, according to a new report documenting America's rank as the world's No. 1 incarcerator. It urges states to curtail corrections spending by placing fewer low-risk offenders behind bars.

http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5ipF-Lz4nGCFYTeGsR30hQPYopFhgD8V3HSMO2

Good one Clawmute:
"We live in rural Arkansas on a ridge above a river, 1/4 mile from the county road. I can and do go out on our 56ft. lg front porch and pee off of it while admiring the mountains and forests."

same here... when my bro in law visits, he just loves doing a wee pee, wherever he needs to....................

We have 160 acres in Northern Ontario, closest beer store is 20 mins away....*lol*

John

gun club

Yea the gun club iam at has some houses move on in with in eye sight. Gun club well over 75years houses under 2 years and you guessed it lawsuits about the noise. WTF is that about did you not see the trap range handgun range and the 200 yard rifle range when you moved in ?? But so far they have not won. the local police dept. all get free membership as well as there qualifying training yearly at the range. But to me that just seems like a new kind of jerk this generation of Americans are becoming.

I've got some neighbors that don't care for my woodpile. For the second year in a row, they've called the city on me. The code enforcement officer has told me, but has not produced, an ordinance that my wood must be 12" OFF the ground. I think the ordinance says minimum 12" high, to be sure it is a wood pile and not scattered wood. They're going to look it up and get back to me, but I'm sick of getting in trouble for processing my own wood.

And to make matters worse, the same neighbors called the city on me for having a small burn pile. I had three fire trucks and an ambulance show up with two police officers. They were right, my county doesn't allow open burns, so I'm going to get the biggest fire pit I can so I can legally burn what doesn't fit in my fireplace insert.

A little other history, they tried to get us in trouble for keeping chickens, but our city allows them. So they just wrote letters to the editor targeting us as making the street look like a third world country.

I'm wondering why it is such a big concern that people doing things "the old way" ie where nobody profits like the supermarket or the gas company seems so barbaric and out of place in civilized society. Is this what drives people to live out in the country? Cause I'm sure feeling like doing that.

so then , have you slaped him stupid yet . give it a try without witnesses, h

LOL! I've had deer hunters try to run me off my own land too. It's a great feeling to put them in their place, but a bit dangerous when there are 3 of them with their rifles to 1 of you with yours. :)

I know the feeling, and do not agree with calling people like that hunters.
If they are trying to steal your property rights I would say they are theives and them being armed is not a pleasant encounter, I know. When they will not leave you alone is worse.

Latest posts

Back