Safety Chaps, which is best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kennyplay

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello, do to safety issue from last year I now have safety boots and chaps. When I was splitting wood in the dead of winter, freezing, I had dropped a big log on my right foot and broke a metatarsel bone(yea spelling prob wrong) I went out and got a pair of real good steel tip/met-guard work boots. They have done wonders! Met-guard on the top. Spend the money, get good ones.

Recently, I opted and shopped around and ordered safety chaps. I used them once. Went good. Then next time I was cutting and splitting, the saw just lighting touched the chaps and man, the things just shreadded apart! Yellow twine/tread got rapped up in the saw, what a mess. It took 1/2 hour to unravel it, it was in the bar sprocket too. I Duct taped that hole in the chaps and went back to work.
Now, I have to say that I am real careful! and been cutting for sometime and have touched my pants before with the saw, it just ripped a hole in them and that was it. Went back to work! Shortly after, the same day wearing the chaps, I touched the chaps again lightly and BAM, again, the crap pulled out, and wrapped up in the sprocket and saw bar and chain. What a mess.

Here's my thought, I thought that the chaps would have a harder protector surface on the outside and not have this stuff inside that would pull out and wrap up in everything...

I got these from the Big B's...Does anyone know of a different kind of chaps that don't do this? thanks

kennyplay,

Your chaps are working exactly as they were designed. The loosely woven layers of balistic nylon got snagged, pulled into the sprocket and stopped the chain. That is the whole point of how they work.

There is really only one strategy to avoid this problem, it involves not hitting your legs with a spinning chain...

RedlineIt

Thats how they work, ALL of them!

What you are describing is the way safety chaps are designed to work!!!!
They have pads of long fibres, nylon or kevlar, that will pull out in a second to jam up the saw before it cuts through your leg, especially if the chain brake does not activate.

They are NOT designed to be a suit of armour that resists a cut through! If you read the disclaimer on the product it states that no safety product can completely protect you from every cut, it just helps make them less severe, what might the result have been if you were not wearing them!? Thank goodness you were!

By the sound of it you are not adopting a safe work stance in relation to the position of your saw, if you keep contacting your leg area like this, you need to reposition yourself so your legs and feet and body are clear of both the kickback zone and the follow through zone.

BTW when you compromise the chaps by cutting them and pulling out the 'strings', its time to buy a new pair! A small nick is ok to patch, never sew through the strings, duct tape is probably a good thing!

Two things come to mind after reading the first post.

Your chaps are working PERFECTLY!!!

You need to be more aware of where the saw is when it is running, or maybe just not use the saw, period.

Imagine if you didn't have the chaps on, and that hit to your chaps was a pair of jeans or cargo pants? Maybe would have been a trip to the hospital to get stitched up.

be careful out there, and by the sounds of it is definitely time for a new set of chaps.

what kinds of work are you doing to be conecting the saw with your leg multiple times in a day? i have worked in some pretty thick brush before in some pretty high stress environments (forest fires) as well as operate a saw in a tree and have never had this happen. honestly man, are you just a balls to the walls guy or what?

Use chaps

Any pair of chaps that are worn will probably prevent letters like this one. I do not know the circumstances here.
You're already there but thought I'd post this anyway.

NOW THERE IS ONLY ME
by Diane Giardot

One weekend not long ago, my husband played in the
snow with three of our children while I prepared
lunch for us all. Our fourth child was in the crib
taking a nap. I remember thinking how much I
despise the cold, especially when it snows, and
how much the kids would miss if they didn't have
their father to roughhouse outside with them.

Well, summer is here and my husband is gone. He
died on-the-job after cutting his leg with a tool
he used almost every day. Only this time, he
didn't attach all the safety equipment and bled to
death before the paramedics arrived.

Our family is devastated. As I face the summer
months, I realize the children and I will miss him
even more. Who will teach Stephen to ride his bike
without training wheels? Who's going to squirt the
girls with the hose while they help Daddy wash the
car? And Michael is just starting T-ball. Where is
his father to teach him to bat and catch? They
only have me.

His role was so clearly defined. He was their
outdoor playmate. Even the neighborhood kids would
knock on the door to see if he could come out to
play on the trampoline with them. I'm at a loss to
even begin to fill his shoes. The kids like me
doing what I do best--the indoor things--and they
liked having their father to balance everything
out.

Sometimes, I still find myself feeling angry that
he left me a widow with four children. We were
married only 10 years, but during that time we
clearly staked out our territories. I took care of
the home, the clothes, and the groceries and
enjoyed every minute of it. He went to work, took
care of the yard, the cars and any house
maintenance too big for me.

Daytime was my time with the children. We watched
"Sesame Street" together, worked puzzles, and
colored. By the time their daddy got home, they
were ready to get down to serious playtime. They
jumped and hung on him as soon as he came through
the door. He'd tickle one, then another, until
they had all dropped off and were giggling on the
floor. Off he'd go to change his clothes; then out
they all would go leaving me to enjoy the silence.

It's going to be a big adjustment, and I'm
frightened because now there is only me.

It was circulating at work and I found it also at:
http://www.makesafetyfun.com/newsletters/sep26_2007.htm

chaps

Thanks for all the info. The chaps I got said they have Kevlar in them. But not being able to see what is inside of them, I thought that it would be a flat solid piece inside the chaps and the outside could widthstand a hit. Not so. I understand now what they are doing.

Also, I am not some wild guy out hacking away, and I am certainly not new at cutting. The last 2 years I have cut and split at least 50 cords of wood. Yes, I know, nothing to some of you who do 100 cords a year.

I have not had any real problems, or position issues etc with cutting. Sure, I lightly touched my jeans and torn a small hole once or twice but I was off to work right away and no downtime. It just was shear coinsidence that I just slightly touched my pant(chaps) after I just got them, and it just shreaded and ripped out the inside guts of the chaps and got caught up in the saw. Just a real pain and downtime...

Trust me, I am about safety and that is why I bought the chaps and the steel tipped/Met-guard boots! Today, I cut and split 2 cords! Thanks again for all the info...

Nothing wrong with the chaps. Learn how to use a saw.

Thanks for all the info. The chaps I got said they have Kevlar in them. But not being able to see what is inside of them, I thought that it would be a flat solid piece inside the chaps and the outside could widthstand a hit. Not so. I understand now what they are doing.

Also, I am not some wild guy out hacking away, and I am certainly not new at cutting. The last 2 years I have cut and split at least 50 cords of wood. Yes, I know, nothing to some of you who do 100 cords a year.

I have not had any real problems, or position issues etc with cutting. Sure, I lightly touched my jeans and torn a small hole once or twice but I was off to work right away and no downtime. It just was shear coinsidence that I just slightly touched my pant(chaps) after I just got them, and it just shreaded and ripped out the inside guts of the chaps and got caught up in the saw. Just a real pain and downtime...

Trust me, I am about safety and that is why I bought the chaps and the steel tipped/Met-guard boots! Today, I cut and split 2 cords! Thanks again for all the info...

what kinds of work are you doing to be conecting the saw with your leg multiple times in a day? i have worked in some pretty thick brush before in some pretty high stress environments (forest fires) as well as operate a saw in a tree and have never had this happen. honestly man, are you just a balls to the walls guy or what?

kennyplay,

Your chaps are working exactly as they were designed. The loosely woven layers of balistic nylon got snagged, pulled into the sprocket and stopped the chain. That is the whole point of how they work.

There is really only one strategy to avoid this problem, it involves not hitting your legs with a spinning chain...

RedlineIt

chap question

This is what the company says about the chaps. From reading this, I took it as 2 layers of Kevlar...Not strands of threads.....

Our WoodsmanPRO chain saw protective chaps are a big seller here at B. They have 400 Denier ultra nylon green covering, two layers of DuPont KEVLAR and two layers of polyester felt. The adjustable belt is 2" (5cm), wide and the adjustable straps are 1" (2.5cm), wide with quick snap fasteners. These chaps are 15" (37cm), wide at their widest spot on each leg. Meets BNQ/CUL Class B standards and U.L Approved.

Time for a reality check

Hello, safety issue ...When I was splitting wood ...I had dropped a big log on my right foot and broke a metatarsel bone

Recently, I ordered safety chaps. I used them once. ...next time I was cutting and splitting, the saw just lighting touched the chaps and man, the things just shreadded apart!
... I Duct taped that hole in the chaps and went back to work.

Now, I have to say that I am real careful! ... touched my pants before with the saw... Went back to work! Shortly after, the same day ... I touched the chaps again lightly and BAM, .... What a mess.

Put the saw on the ground and back away slowly! Do it NOW! No one has to get hurt... By your own admission , you have almost cut your leg off 3 times already, and then, and then wrote ,to a Arborist Forem and told everyone about it. Give it up man! All the PPE in the world can't help you if you keep sticking power saws to body parts.

[QUOTE Trust me, I am about safety QUOTE]

Also, I am not some wild guy out hacking away... and I am certainly not new at cutting. The last 2 years I have cut and split at least 50 cords of wood.

Trust me, I am about safety QUOTE]

What would you consider a wild guy out hacking ? And you couldn't be someone new to cutting,Someone new to cutting would have read the directions that came with the chaps or talked to the dealer who sold them to him. However, It just was not shear coincidence that you touched your pants. It was your saw, your pants, and you were holding it and wearing them. It was in fact, solely operator error that almost cut your leg off with a chain saw. And you were in fact, the operator. And what in the world would you consider a real problem, or position issue with cutting, if destroying a new pair of chaps with multiple saw cuts wasn't or isn't. Kenny , if you were really all about safety you would quit cutting wood!

Last edited:
chaps

Ok, at least I was open enough to talk about things, as with many, they woundn't say anything. Oh, not me, I NEVER make a mistake, or have a problem. "I am perfect!" Like, trying to find somewhere while driving...I don't need a map..etc...Yes, I did read the instructions, and as I said, shopped around quite a bit. They were purchased online. Enough already about the personal attacks.

What I was asking about was....the types of chaps. The ones that I bought have "loose strands" inside...What I was thinking it would be would be tight woven strands, like a sheet. Similar to law inforcement or safety machine equipment clothing. Not so with chainsaw chaps.

If you looke up the company that makes Kevlar, you can see that there are many applications..

Sorry if you took it personal , kenny. Although the tone might be a little rough, I really was just trying to help you. I'll tell you one more thing and then move on to other things.
No one is perfect,everyone ,including myself has made many mistakes.But with a chainsaw, it only takes one. I make my living with a saw. My whole family on mom's side are pulp wood loggers. I've been around saws all my life. Several years ago my uncle Jack cut his right leg off with a saw. This was after he had been logging every day for 22 years! It can happen to literally anyone.
HERE'S THE ONE THING : If I had a groundie , who had the same number of mishaps as you admit to having , in the same time span as you say you had them, I'd fire him. And I'd feel like I was helping him out. No matter how good a person he was , I'd fire him. Not to punish him , but because I cared about him. Because chances are , someone who has that many mishaps will have more. In fact he is certain to, if he doesn't change his awareness and work habits.
Kenny, the fact that you are having these diffaculties means that you are doing something wrong.
Consider taking a basic felling , chainsaw safety course from Arbormaster. Another lower cost option are the chain saw safety courses offered by the US Forestry service.

Hmm, it's funny you typed to me and said that you make a living with a saw, but your public bio says:

Biography:

Too old to be doing tree work,but working to support mr gear habit and chainsaw fixations.

Too old at 43?, your just a young pup, or maybe you're just all wore out?

Back