Safety Chaps, which is best?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Kenny, You just don't get it , Do you?
43 is much older than your average climber.
I'm still at it solely because I love Gear and rigging and running a saw all day.
I don't have to do what I do, I do it because I love it and I'm good at it.
Maybe I am just all wore out , 20 years in the Military and Running 2 companies will do it to you. But I still show up for work every day.

None of which solves your safety issues. Good luck to you Kenny. Be sure and write a new post if you have anymore shear coincidences happen to you.

KP,
It didn't take me too long to figure out that the search command on this site can reap a bounty of info, including info on CHAPS. If you had taken the time to read other threads concerning this subject you would have found how chaps are suppose to work. There are also some very good (and graphic) vids. on tests of chaps. Do yourself a favor and look around.

I will echo what most all have said here and that is you really need to learn how to handle that saw. If you are getting that close to your self with a spinning chain then you are certainly are doing something wrong. The only thing that will help you for now is a suit of armor.

Thanks you all for some of the usable information. At this point, I would like to close this thread....

Well, since you aren't a mod...

You sound like an intelligent man. You bought safety gear. You did research in order to buy said gear. You're above average. I cut for the Forest Service. I train and certify new sawyers, and run an initial attack fire crew. If somebody cuts their chaps, they don't run saw for 2 weeks. It rarely happens. I've never cut my chaps in 12 years of running saws, 7 of which have been in fire, with plenty of other (life threatening) things simultaneously needing my attention, in all kinds of thick brush and timber. If you can't pay enough attention to your saw while cutting firewood, you really need to start asking why, and taking a serious look at your habits. Seriously. Realize that it does happen, and that is why we wear chaps in the first place, but that you also need to learn as much as possible from every mistake.

Stay safe...

Latest posts

Back