Safety equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacLaren

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hey fellers, with the fall rapidly approaching I thought it would be good to start a safety equipment thread. IMO, I think it most important to be safe out in the woods. I will be using chaps, aluminum hard hat, and safety boots. I hope I'm not forgetting anything. If you all would like to chime in about what safety equipment you plan in using, and why I sure would appreciate it. :newbie:

;)I just got a skull bucket from Madsens. I could/probably should have gotten a less exspensive plastic helmet, but those skull buckets IMO, are too cool...

chaps and steel toes. thats about as far as i get. i need to start using ear pro and hard hat. worst of all its all things i HAVE!

The most important safety practice for me isn't chaps, helmet, hearing protection, or glasses (which I try to always use). Rather it is to always cut with a buddy, especially in more remote areas. I know it isn't always possible, but it has saved me a few times.

Firewood cutter here.

Forestry helmet w/metal mesh
Clear safety glasses underneath
Labonville full-wrap chaps
Steel toe boots/chainsaw boots
Antivibration gloves

First aid kit
water
cell phone
Map marking cutting area left on kitchen table (most of the time)

R
I would add a first aid kit and a cell phone if you are in an area that has reception.
That's a really good idea. I've often thought of that also. Furthermore, if cell use is not possible, atleast let one other person know where you will be before you go.

Firewood cutter here.

Forestry helmet w/metal mesh
Clear safety glasses underneath
Labonville full-wrap chaps
Steel toe boots/chainsaw boots
Antivibration gloves

First aid kit
water
cell phone
Map marking cutting area left on kitchen table (most of the time)

Very good. Thanks for the post!

for equipment i use-

full wrap chaps
kevlar boot
bugz eye
gloves
ear plugs (always) and muffs (if temperature permits while bucking)
cell ph always in pants pocket

Just curious, what brand boot? I've been looking at Kevlar lately, and saw a pair of Matterhorns, but they were about $329.00

Hearing and sight protection are must have items. It can be a pita getting geared up to cut, but I feel somewhat naked without the safety equipment anymore.

Just curious, what brand boot? I've been looking at Kevlar lately, and saw a pair of Matterhorns, but they were about $329.00

Right now I use my Georgia Boot steel toe work boots from TSC. I also have Bogs Rancher boots with steel toe for cold weather, but I'm in the market for a steel toe chainsaw boot for the winter.

Somehow I will be repeating what other people referred already and, according to local supplier limitations, I use as PPE

Stihl chaps
Steel toe boots
Stihl helmet integrated with ear muffs and face screen
gloves
cell phone at hands reach

And finally, always tell my wife where I am cutting firewood either together with other people or by myself.

Thanks for all the posts. Feel free to write about an instance where any of your safety equipment has protected you. Sorry, I should have probably said that at the begining of the thread. I guess, I would just like for everyone to be aware of the importance of chainsaw safety equipment. Thanks.:cheers:

i wander what boot makers beside matterhron and baileys produce kevlar protected chainsaw boots? I wander if the danner super rain forest would be as good as matterhorns or if even danner makes a kevlar boot or not...:smoking:

I usually wear glasses and ear plugs. I just got a set of chaps 2 weeks ago give to me. I wore them a little when I was at hillbillys. They do work decent for keeping briars from getting you. I always wear leather boots, sometimes with steel toe depending on which ones I put on.

Back