Safety equipment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wear my flippy flops. Easier for medics to cut off instead of a boot :)

I have chaps. A hard hat, ear plugs/ear muffs. I wear glasses.

I did just find a pair of steel toe boots in the closet Ill wear to cut in, but they arent very comfortable so I wouldnt have them on all day.

Main thing is using your brain!

And yes, the old chaps might have saved my leg. And I got the hardhat after being hit by a falling tree- too short of rope, and too short of a thought of being outta the way.

i wander what boot makers beside matterhron and baileys produce kevlar protected chainsaw boots? I wander if the danner super rain forest would be as good as matterhorns or if even danner makes a kevlar boot or not...:smoking:

there are several brands that make kevlar lined boots, but i don't think that danner makes a CS boot. matterhorns were the only brand that i could find that make kevlar lined, steel toe, gore-tex lined, chainsaw boots. the only problem i have is that they are a little tight where the steel box begins. i have thought about taking a sledge hammer to them to widen the toe. it's not too bad for once-a-week wear and thery are getting more comfortable with each outing.

attachment.php

These work fine , I have three pair of different ages and makers , the price is around 100.00 $$ cnd a pair .

there are several brands that make kevlar lined boots, but i don't think that danner makes a CS boot. matterhorns were the only brand that i could find that make kevlar lined, steel toe, gore-tex lined, chainsaw boots. the only problem i have is that they are a little tight where the steel box begins. i have thought about taking a sledge hammer to them to widen the toe. it's not too bad for once-a-week wear and thery are getting more comfortable with each outing.

Good info. Thank you!

I like the stihl/husqvarna hard hat combo cause I'm bad to loose stuff. So I have my eye protection, ear protection and hard hat all in one. I go threw probably 7 to 8 sets of ear plugs at work. There a pain to keep track of and there expensive if I had to buy them.

I twist my wrist foward activating the chain break once I finsh a cut and have to move stuff. Then I just pull it back to release and I'm off cutting. Its just a habbit I have with my 5100. Anything I can do to keep me safer I will.

I like the stihl/husqvarna hard hat combo cause I'm bad to loose stuff. So I have my eye protection, ear protection and hard hat all in one. I go threw probably 7 to 8 sets of ear plugs at work. There a pain to keep track of and there expensive if I had to buy them.

I twist my wrist foward activating the chain break once I finsh a cut and have to move stuff. Then I just pull it back to release and I'm off cutting. Its just a habbit I have with my 5100. Anything I can do to keep me safer I will.

You've got a nice set up Pops. I remember it at our gtg.

I take The Used Dog. I'm sure he'd drag me to town, heck, I bet he could drive me if I had an automatic. He might have a hard time shifting. Go get the first aid kit boy....

attachment.php

Nice! Thanks for the picture slowp.

Was going to say something about the chain brake. I don't put it on after every cut but when ever I move it get's put on.

Was going to say something about the chain brake. I don't put it on after every cut but when ever I move it get's put on.

I don't put if on after every cut. But if I'm going to do something while holding the saw like move brush ect. Then it gets put on. Just roll your wrist holding the handle foward and it sets it. One blip of the throttle by accident, while holding the saw, in the right condition and your done for.

Talking to an old timer about steel caps and he reckons that they are a two edge sword. If the chain skates off the steel cap the right way you are Ok, the wrong way and you slice your foot. Seems to me that maybe CS operators need a different kind of steel cap?

Thoughts?

PS: I use regular steel caps.

Talking to an old timer about steel caps and he reckons that they are a two edge sword. If the chain skates off the steel cap the right way you are Ok, the wrong way and you slice your foot. Seems to me that maybe CS operators need a different kind of steel cap?

Thoughts?

Interesting. Thanks.

Thoughts?

that's a specious argument akin to not wearing a seatbelt bc you believe you will be trapped in a car in the event of an accident.
i would rather have half of my foot protected and risk the it skips onto an unprotected area than not have anything but leather protecting my foot.

I would like to thank all whom participated in this thread and to again remind everyone to be :cheers:extra careful out in the woods/forest, or heck wherever you go for that matter.

I use the hardhat/combo . It's all there in one place . Chaps are important . I have hit my leg and taken a ride to the hospital .
A cellphone is good but my buddy lay for 3 hours with a busted hip when he could not get service down in a hollow . I also have a REALLY loud whistle clipped to my work vest where I can get to it with no hands . When you use it, you need to have your muffs on !
I have read that the kevlar boots don't have enough stuff to prevent a cut - I do wear steel toes as years ago I had a saw kick into my foot and cut the boot, sock, but not me . Steel toes from that day on .
Also use the chainbrake when starting and moving . It's a habit I had to teach myself but a good one .

Latest posts

Back