Said goodbye to my second 5100s

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Took down a large Poplar with my 7900 today.:clap:

With the tree down I picked up my 5100 and started limbing the tree, I soon noticed that something was wrong. Every time I turned the saw on it's side or tipped the bar up it would speed up, when I flipped the saw upright it would almost stall.

Took the saw back to the dealer for a full cash refund.:clap: While I was there I asked him if they have had any problems with the Dolmar saws, he said no only the two.

He then starts to tell me that the first saw I had was sent back to Dolmar for his reimbursement, and they will not pay him because the fuel mix was too lean, or the oil was bad, and that it was operator error.:angry2: I said BS!! I use Echo Power Blend with fresh fuel at 32-1, and I've never had any fuel problems. I said it sounds like Dolmar just doesn't want to pay up, he then looked up at me and said you got it.

now for my rant.

1. I can't believe Dolmar would do this to such a good dealer.
2. They insulted his and my intelligence. Well His:hmm3grin2orange:
3. I'm calling out Dolmar or someone who works for them to help make things right. Not for me I have my money, but for the dealer.
4. I love my 7900 but I don't know if I will ever buy another Dolmar product.

Andyshine77 said:
I use Echo Power Blend with fresh fuel at 32-1, and I've never had any fuel problems. I said it sounds like Dolmar just doesn't want to pay up, he then looked up at me and said you got it.

What does the manual for the fuel mix on a 5100s? If it's not 32-1 you gave them "an out" even you adjusted the carb correctly.

It's not likely a problem on a low time saw. It can lead to carbon behind the rings.. eventually. I've heard reports of a few loose carbs - that can make the saw change rpm with position, and run lean.

Lakeside53 said:
It's not likely a problem on a low time saw. It can lead to carbon behind the rings.. eventually. I've heard reports of a few loose carbs - that can make the saw change rpm with position, and run lean.

THIS is why I love this site....I never would have thought of this, but it's quite logical and it's something to look out for in the future.
:bowdown:

My guess is that those twosaws would have had no probs if they were fed the right fuel - Aspen alky fuel 50:1 premix with synthetic oil......

..but as usual, I don't really have a clue....

Andyshine77 said:
The saws were new, they also ran bad with the dealers 50-1 mix. The funny thing is they said I did not use enough oil.
Then the dealer has even less clue than me, I believe......:monkey:

Andyshine77 said:
The saws were new! they also ran bad with the dealers 50-1 mix. The funny thing is they said I did not use enough oil.

They are confusing "lean" mixture with lack of oil. Two entirely different things.

What does your piston look like?. Do you have a photo though the exhaust port?

Andyshine77 said:
Just found this therad http://www.arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=28823
Guess i'm not alone.

Most of that thread seems to be about throttle shafts leaking. Strange on a new saw, or any late model saw... It's not like Dolmar makes the carbs... so you'd expect to see it on many other saws/brands. The only place I get to see it is on OLD concrete cut-off saws - the concrete dust wears the throttle shafts.

If the dealer set the saw up on 50:1 and you ran 32:1 with no adjustments, then yes, you ran the saw lean. more oil going into the saw means less gas going in, hence lean, unless you or you had it adjusted for 32:1.
a saw setup for 50:1 then made to run 32:1 as is, is not safer or better for the saw. much the opposite.
-Ralph

Carb adjustment prolems are nothing new on the 5100S, I BELIEVE IT HAS SOMETHING TO DO WITH THE REV LIMITER, BUT i AM NOT AN EXPERT, AND COULD EASILY BE WRONG (AGAIN).:(

Last edited:
begleytree said:
If the dealer set the saw up on 50:1 and you ran 32:1 with no adjustments, then yes, you ran the saw lean. more oil going into the saw means less gas going in, hence lean, unless you or you had it adjusted for 32:1.
a saw setup for 50:1 then made to run 32:1 as is, is not safer or better for the saw. much the opposite.
-Ralph
Same thing happens when I change octane fuels

SawTroll said:
Those saws are not engeneered for 1:32, but I don't understand why it is a problem - or maybe it is not.....:confused: :confused:
begleytree said:
-Ralph
I have a hunch that the answer is somewhere in those quotes....

SawTroll said:
I have a hunch that the answer is somewhere in those quotes....

I doubt it would be enough to have a material impact. If so, saws would be dead all over the usa right now, and not just these two.

If the saw was "power tuned" to "the edge", then maybe... but who on As would ever do that??:(

Was there Alcohol in the gas? Low grade gas?

The 5100 is a "hot" saw already.. so.. stay rich (mixture setting, not mix).

begleytree said:
-Ralph
The difference going from 50:1 to 32:1 is so minute as to make fuel mixture difference inconsequential. Dealers set the saws a hair rich to begin with, and any difference will fall well within the richness cushion.

Latest posts

Back