Saw advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You'll want to look at the 545 and 555 for "almost pro" models that are pretty close to your budget. The 550 and 562 are the true pro saws, but a little spendier.

For older models, there's the 346 and the 357. Both great saws. Personally I'd go for a 50cc now and plan on adding a 70cc later. I started with a 60 as a one saw plan, but there's big advantages to having two. If you run saws for work you'll know what I'm talking about. It's not uncommon to pinch a saw, flood a saw, wreck a chain, lose a bar nut, etc. Having a second one to grab is super handy. A 50cc and 70cc is a superb combo. Starting with a 60 is a better one saw plan, but if your want to expand, 50 and a 70 are both pretty close.

Those Huskies you mentioned are right up my alley. Gonna start saving my sheckels and see what I can snag. Thanks for the insight Sir. 50cc will do for now, and if I ever need a new saw I’ll grab a 70

Those Huskies you mentioned are right up my alley. Gonna start saving my sheckels and see what I can snag. Thanks for the insight Sir. 50cc will do for now, and if I ever need a new saw I’ll grab a 70
Why save credit card it. Buy a pro saw you'll be happy. Take care of it, you'll be hooked soon anyway and be asking about a 3120 soon. ;)

Saws like this are for sale, but will need a little work to bring to this condition. Saw is all oem, except new Caber rings. Replaced, fuel line, filter, choke grommet, top cover, rewind cover, broken rear av mount, chain plate, starter rope and a few bolts. Opened muffler up, vIMG_7928.JPG IMG_7929.JPG IMG_7930.JPG IMG_7931.JPG IMG_7932.JPG acuum tested saw and waiting for it to warm up for a tach tune. Here are a few pictures of it and a bottom shot for @chipper1, he loves bottom shots. :laughing:

Saws like this are for sale, but will need a little work to bring to this condition. Saw is all oem, except new Caber rings. Replaced, fuel line, filter, choke grommet, top cover, rewind cover, broken rear av mount, chain plate, starter rope and a few bolts. Opened muffler up, vView attachment 624588 View attachment 624589 View attachment 624590 View attachment 624591 View attachment 624592 acuum tested saw and waiting for it to warm up for a tach tune. Here are a few pictures of it and a bottom shot for @chipper1, he loves bottom shots. :laughing:
Yes they are :).
Yes I do like those shots, many times there's a reason guys won't show pictures of the bottom of a saw and a bunch of odd angled shots in dim lit rooms with a bunch of other stuff around :nofunny:.
I also like full sized pictures or when guys just load them into the ad and leave then that way as it seems to take a lot more time to load a full image from the thumbnails:buttkick:, maybe it's just me though o_O.
Did you need my address, that was supposed to come here lol, glad you got that one, it looks great.

Yes they are :).
Yes I do like those shots, many times there's a reason guys won't show pictures of the bottom of a saw and a bunch of odd angled shots in dim lit rooms with a bunch of other stuff around :nofunny:.
I also like full sized pictures or when guys just load them into the ad and leave then that way as it seems to take a lot more time to load a full image from the thumbnails:buttkick:, maybe it's just me though o_O.
Did you need my address, that was supposed to come here lol, glad you got that one, it looks great.
Put a little more money and parts in it than expected, but who's counting. Rebuild them as they will be mine (right they are mine). :dancing: Inside is in great shape, tight, clean and was run using a good oil/ fuel mix (wet and shinny). Should make someone a good saw, or use it myself, I always say that.

Put a little more money and parts in it than expected, but who's counting. Rebuild them as they will be mine (right they are mine). :dancing: Inside is in great shape, tight, clean and was run using a good oil/ fuel mix (wet and shinny). Should make someone a good saw, or use it myself, I always say that.
Works for me :D.

As for the OP.
I usually advise people to take the money they plan on spending on a new farm ranch saw and use that amount towards the purchase of a low hr pro saw.
You can get a nice low hr 60cc pro saw for around what you are looking to spend. It will weigh less than the 365 and about the same as the 455. I personally enjoy running the husky 555 but they don't come up for sale often.
The 359 is a great option(one of my favorites) and more are available than the 555 and it would bring you in way under budget. If you want a 50 cc saw then the 545 or the 550 are great options and they run pretty close to one another. A budget option would be a husky 450 rancher, same specs as a 353 husky. The 353 is also a nice option as it has a magnesium case like a pro saw. The 450 is my favorite stock plastic cased saw, and a saw that has proven itself to be reliable much like the 455 rancher. I like them for the ease of cleaning the air filter and the cost effectiveness for a good little saw. They do a fine job on wood 12 and under and do just fine on a bit larger wood just not quite as fast.
A properly sharpened chain will make even a small saw perform better than most think they can ;).
Where do you live at.
Also welcome to AS,
Brett

I usually advise people to take the money they plan on spending on a new farm ranch saw and use that amount towards the purchase of a low hr pro saw.
You can get a nice low hr 60cc pro saw for around what you are looking to spend. It will weigh less than the 365 and about the same as the 455. I personally enjoy running the husky 555 but they don't come up for sale often.
The 359 is a great option(one of my favorites) and more are available than the 555 and it would bring you in way under budget. If you want a 50 cc saw then the 545 or the 550 are great options and they run pretty close to one another. A budget option would be a husky 450 rancher, same specs as a 353 husky. The 353 is also a nice option as it has a magnesium case like a pro saw. The 450 is my favorite stock plastic cased saw, and a saw that has proven itself to be reliable much like the 455 rancher. I like them for the ease of cleaning the air filter and the cost effectiveness for a good little saw. They do a fine job on wood 12 and under and do just fine on a bit larger wood just not quite as fast.
Sound advice. I for one am glad the mantra of "anything less than a pro saw is junk" which was prevalent on here for a few years has moved along.

Sound advice. I for one am glad the mantra of "anything less than a pro saw is junk" which was prevalent on here for a few years has moved along.
Thanks Steve.
You know I try to give the best advice I can when folks ask.
That being said if they "need" a ported saw, well what can I say, everyone "needs" a few of those too:lol:.

Thanks Steve.
You know I try to give the best advice I can when folks ask.
That being said if they need a ported saw, well what can I say, everyone "needs" a few of those too:lol:.
So go into your stash of World Champion saws. That's what it says right on the saw and pick one out for him to purchase. We know you can find one!:yes:

So go into your stash of World Champion saws. That's what it says right on the saw and pick one out for him to purchase. We know you can find one!:yes:
Which one, first he needs a good starter saw right.
Hope these meet your standards lol.
IMG_20171128_120030424.jpg
But maybe a 2145 with a ported AM cylinder would be better. Please excuse the pine sap :eek:. I'd even sell that one at a discount so I don't have to clean it :yes:.
IMG_20180105_120855785.jpg
Then we jump to 60cc.
IMG_20171228_101204405.jpg
The only ported one I have goes above his price range, and it's a Stihl which doesn't fit what he asked for, but just for you.
IMG_20171216_153031892.jpg

Which one, first he needs a good starter saw right.
Hope these meet your standards lol.
View attachment 624657
But maybe a 2145 with a ported AM cylinder would be better. Please excuse the pine sap :eek:. I'd even sell that one at a discount so I don't have to clean it :yes:.
View attachment 624660
Then we jump to 60cc.
View attachment 624663
The only ported one I have goes above his price range, and it's a Stihl which doesn't fit what he asked for, but just for you.
View attachment 624664
Ok, we will see if he really wants a nice saw. Those top 3 are nice, that 359 looks outstanding. What is that bottom one, some sort of Franken saw? :happy: :buttkick:

Latest posts

Back