saw and bar maintenence

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

husky455rancher

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
ok for those of you that have read my previous posts know im fairly new to saws and trying to learn as much as i can.

my question is is there anything i should be doing to the saw as far as maintence goes other than taking the side cover off once and a while and cleaning it all out? i was told to flip the bar over every now and again so it wears evenly. i know you can dress bars but i dont know how to do it or what it actually does. any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks, Mike

keep it clean, greased, and use correct chain tension. Flip it ocasionally. do all that and your bar will last ages.

I run my oiler on full all the time, regardless of bar length. others disagree, but its a personal preferance. cuts faster with more oil anyway, and if $$$ was an issue I wouldnt have my CAD!

change your drive sproket every 2 chains. change your bar every 2 drive sprokets. dont throw anything out as you can use the old stuff for the dirty stump jobs, or when you "mate" wants to borrow the chainsaw.

Cheers

STK

Saw maintenance

I would recommend that you use a rim sprocket instead of a tooth sprocket. One reason is that they are far easier and cheaper to change and you can use multiple number of driving rims to get a selection of torque and chain speed from your saw. They also seem to run and wear better for me. I even use them on my smaller 210 size saws. Simple thing to make your saw more pro-like, no matter the size or design intention.

Basic maintenance on my saws is as follows: after every use, I blow out the air filters with a compressor, and check the sprocket area for caked up sawdust. If it is caked up, I remove the sprocket cover and scrape the crud out with a screwdriver. Nothing fancy, just get the chunks out. I also tighten the chains after the saws are cool, grease the bar sprokect, and refill them with gas and oil. If I change a bar, I will reset the oiler on the saw if it has one. I tend to run them heavy; like STK says, more oil is better.

Next level of maintenence is sharpening. Once a chain gets semi-dull I will sharpen it on tha saw with a hand file and guide, usually after a few hours of use, but it depends on the wood I am cutting. I also have a mini-12 volt grinding wheel sharpener if I am in a hurry. Hardwoods dull chains faster than softwoods. Every other chain sharpening I will take the chain off and flip the bar over. Also check the bar for burrs. If there are any burs or nicks, I file them down with a flat file. Some bar manufactures recommend a 45 degree filing of burs, others say flat file them. Either way, file off the burrs. I also file the rakers every 2-3 sharpenings. One pass is usually enough with a flat file (these are the tangs in front of the cutters that set the depth of the cuts).

Next level of maintenence is seasonal; 4 times a year. I will pop the sprocket off and clean out the clutch and inside of the sprocket of sawdust and oil. I grease the needle bearings them as well. Just a small dab on the crankshaft is fine. I also take the air filter off and blow it out and soak it in hot soapy water and let it air dry. I also check the carbs for adjustment and look over the saw for lose bolts, dings and problems. I also take the filters off the oil and gas intakes and blow them out and/or soak them in white gas (Colemen fuel). I also take the muffler screens off and clean them out. They can get caked up with crud and cause all kinds of problems.

Once a year I change the spark plugs on the saws, and look inside the combustion chamber. Usually in the course of a year a saw will lose a starter rope, or throw a chain and break a catcher, or lose some parts that have to be replaced, like the summer-winter flippy thingeys. Which reminds me, at some time in the year you may have to change the saws over from summer to winter mode, or back again. There are several options for this on different saws. On most Stihls it means moving a plastic baffle plate and maybe flipping a rubber plug from one position to another. Usually they control the airflow to the intake of the carberator to keep it from icing up in winter.

Last edited:
all good stuff thanks alot man. i havent replaced anything on either saw as of yet. how do you tell when the sprockets need replacing? , Mike

Tooth sprockets need replacing when the wear into them by the chain is a certain depth. A mm I think it is (updated: *0.5 mm according to Lakeside*). Usually the chin with stretch faster with a worn sprocket, and not stay tight. A rim sprocket is harder to tell, but I replace them when the chain gets 'loose' in them. They are cheap to replace though, and I keep the old ones in case one breaks or gets lost out in the woods. I keep old chains, bars and sprockets for dirty work, and cutting stuff like naily fence posts and bamboo roots with. So what if the old worn out chain gets rocked or is missing a tooth?

Last edited:
oh i also run the oiler full blast on my 455, the 142 isnt adjustable. should i definatly get a tach?

If you want to mod your saws, get one. If you are leaving them stock, no need for a tach, really. The limiter caps will restrict what you can tweek the carbs to. They are nice to have though.

You asked about dressing the bar. As others have said, file the burr off as it develops. Otherwise, nothing is required until the rails of the bar wear unevenly, resulting in the saw cutting a curve as it goes into the log. At that time, you have to file the rails so that they are of equal height. A small square held against the bar will show the unevenness. Some folks clamp the bar in a vise and flat file the bar by eye to level the rails. Bailey's sells a tool (file holder) that makes achieving level across the bars easy.

I use a ski edging tool to dress the bar if it is uneven. It is set up to do 90 degree filing on ski edges, which is pretty much the same as on saw bars.

Latest posts

Back