Saw chain gets loose very quickly. Need help !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rafa26

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys, i own a husqvarna 359 chain saw, 1 year and a half old and barely used. The chain was getting loose to fast then i bought 2 new chains and still the same problem.
Right after tightening it gets loose almost instantly. I removed the clutch cover and everything seems to be intact. I noticed with the clutch cover removed that the "chain tensioning screw" is a little bit loose but i think that is the way it's supposed to be. Any help will be truly appreciated, thanks.

How tightly do you have the chain to start with? Too tight, or too little oil, and it'll get hot and stretch with the heat. Also new chains will stretch a bit when new, but will settle down after some use.

And new chain or not, or even with proper tension, after use, any chain will heat up a bit and stretch. That's normal.

Welcome to AS.

The chain is tightened exactly as shown on the manual. Yes it gets too hot when it slacks but oil system is ok. I know a new chain is supposed to be adjusted more times but i used this saw hundreds of times before and this never happened.

Welcome to AS, as Jeff said, the chains will stretch, and new bars will wear in also. Don't over tighten the chain, you should be able to easily move it around the bar with one hand when tight. Also check that you are getting the bar nust tight enough, two finger on the end of the scrench should be plenty!
Let us know if that doesn't work.
Andy

Not sure then, one of the resident pros should be around, they may have a better sugestion.
Andy

With the cover off, can you tell if the adjuster is in the bar. This may sound stupid but, make sure the chain is on the sprocket correctly. Are you using about a tank of bar oil to a tank of fuel? you should be.
Mark

rafa26 said:
The chain is tightened exactly as shown on the manual. Yes it gets too hot when it slacks but oil system is ok.

Are you sure? You may still be getting oil, but maybe not enough.

If it's getting too hot, then something is not OK. Chains get hot, but shouldn't get too hot. If you're sure your oil system is OK, then make sure you're maintaining your chain as the manual says as well. Just like Justin said, make sure it's sharpened properly, and your depth guages are properly set. Chains get too hot only for certain number of reasons-too tight, not enough oil, and not being sharpened properly. If you're sure you're tensioning it properly, and you say the oil is working...

Yes one thank of oil for ecach tank of gas,
Yes i am using the correct chain, i bought an OEM chain, made exactly for my husqvarna 359.
That's a mistery guys, i checked everything, tomorrow will take to a husqvarna repair center and as soon as they fix it, i will post here what was it,
Thanks for all.

Her is an idea. Adjust the chain, and scribe a mark in the bar, where it meets the case. Has to be pretty exact.

Then run it, when it comes loose, look for the mark. If it is not visible, your nuts and adjuster arent holding the bar. If it is, you know it IS a chain problem. If it were a clutch problem you would know it...

The chain it's not the problem because i tested 3 brand new ones, bought them this morning on Lowe's and all 3 had the same problem.

Get one of those INTENZ bars, that will solve your problem.

It has a built in adjuster that is foolproof. You just install the bar and chain. Put the saw adjuters stud in the bar, and tighten it to take out the slack. Then snug the bar nuts just slightly, now use your scrench to turn the bar adjuter, and it takes the slack out by pressing against the front bar stud. Then tighten the nuts down.

Pretty simple, and it works. I use them when the adjusters break out of the saws, and parts are not immediatly available.

Back