Saw chain gets loose very quickly. Need help !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RED-85-Z51 said:
Her is an idea. Adjust the chain, and scribe a mark in the bar, where it meets the case. Has to be pretty exact.

Then run it, when it comes loose, look for the mark. If it is not visible, your nuts and adjuster arent holding the bar. If it is, you know it IS a chain problem. If it were a clutch problem you would know it...

This is definitetly the right idea as suggested by Red. The first thing is to identify the problem. Is it the chain stretching, or is it the adjustment mechanism that's loosening and causing the chain to become slack. After identifying which of these two items is actually occuring, then you can take the next step. Until this is known, I won't make any assumptions about stump cutting, oiling, etc. Great thinking Red!

Dan

rafa26 said:
The chain it's not the problem because i tested 3 brand new ones, bought them this morning on Lowe's and all 3 had the same problem.

Hmmm. Didn't we have a thread here a short while back about crap chains being sold by the box stores?

rafa26, what brand are those chains you bought?

I am having the same problem. It is not the blade. It is the saw. You can watch the adjuster nut unwind with the vibrations from the saw after about 30 seconds of cutting. I could throw a screw into the housing to hold the adjustment gear in place. Is their a better solution being used?

I am having the same problem. It is not the blade. It is the saw. You can watch the adjuster nut unwind with the vibrations from the saw after about 30 seconds of cutting. I could throw a screw into the housing to hold the adjustment gear in place. Is their a better solution being used?
It would be better to start a new thread AND give some more info, like what saw you have.

The bar nuts & cover are what keep the bar from moving and creating slack in the chain. Not the adjuster.

The bar nuts & cover are what keep the bar from moving and creating slack in the chain. Not the adjuster.
That is exactly right. I skimmed most of the post on this but dont recall seeing anyone mention the condition of the bar itself. Is the chain groove clean? are the rails splayed out? OP says hes used this saw "hundreds of times", and if thats the original bar, especially cutting stumps, i dont care what you do, a wopped out bar with not help a chain stay tight.

Wait a second...post #1:
Hi guys, i own a husqvarna 359 chain saw, 1 year and a half old and barely used. The chain was getting loose to fast then i bought 2 new chains and still the same problem.

Post#3:
The chain is tightened exactly as shown on the manual. Yes it gets too hot when it slacks but oil system is ok. I know a new chain is supposed to be adjusted more times but i used this saw hundreds of times before and this never happened.

Nearly nine years ago, the OP said he would report back after 'getting it fixed'. No report back tells me it was operator error.

Latest posts

Back