Saw doesn't want to run at high rpm's? (Poulan 245A) [SOLVED]

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 119840

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Dear community,

I was just going to make a quick check with y'all. As I have no way of showing you in a video what happens when I rev the saw at high rpm's, all I can do is tell with words. Basically, it sounds like it's about to die when I quickly squeeze the trigger and let go again. I suspect it's the H screw that needs to be adjusted?

Any reply with advice is greatly appreciated right now :)

back off your low first to see if it improves, but I would suggest that you go through the fuel system correctly, checking fuel lines and diaphrams, and for dirt/varnish.

back off your low first to see if it improves, but I would suggest that you go through the fuel system correctly, checking fuel lines and diaphrams, and for dirt/varnish.
Hi there,

Strangely, it idles fine, and also runs on half rpm's good, but on high revs, it wants to die. The fuel lines are clean though, I'm suspecting it is the governor. Don't want to mess with it too much though. But, if I needed to remove it, and put it back for adjustments sake, can it be done? And can the governor be adjusted at all? Or is it just there to limit too high rpm's?

gov ball could be stuck open. you also cant adjust them unit at wot no load. they have to be adjusted under a load to be adjusted right

Try to back the low out a 1/4 turn. If not better try to back the high out a 1/4 turn. If either make it better then adjust either to your standard. If not and you are sure the fuel system is good with new filter then there is a governor on the carb...it is the big brass screw on the side of the carb. You can remove it and block it off with a small piece of a aluminum pie pan.

got a like from hotshot that means im the man. thanks man that mean alot coming from a small engine master

I have a spare carburetor that I can use from my older 306A, will try that one and see what the difference is.

Are You meaning it hesitates when transitioning from idle to high speed. Or that it misses when held wide open out of the cut?

Have you checked your carb screen for debris. That can cause a top end leanout.

I think there's a thread somewhere on how to bypass/block off that governor, very easy to do and really helps the saw. I think you can block it off with a small metal disc like comes in a carb kit, I think you just unscrew the governor and put the disc in and put the gov. back on top of the disc. Better try to find the old thread to be sure..
I'm assuming of course that yours is the carb that came out with that valve..

Solved... it was the carb... although this carburetor has NO governor. It runs smooth now. :)

Latest posts

Back