Saw prices in Europe, Australia

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikefunaro

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Why are prices on saws so high in Europe? Are there excise/sin taxes on them because they're polluting two stroke engines?

Stihls are still expensive in Germany, so it's not like it's tariffs.

Any ideas/explanations???

For Australia, I'm guessing the much smaller market means much smaller turnover (compared to NA) so a greater margin needs to be used to get a reasonable income (population of 20 million and mainly urbanised vs what, nearly 300 million in the US ?)

I don't know what import duty, if any is charged, but I doubt it would be greater than 5% of the landed (importer cost) price, and the only tax is the Federal GST (VAT) at 10% of the final retail price. Generally, if there is no comparable product produced locally, Import Duty is 0-5%.

or it's just price gouging.......

Last edited:
Why are prices on saws so high in Europe? Are there excise/sin taxes on them because they're polluting two stroke engines?

Stihls are still expensive in Germany, so it's not like it's tariffs.

Any ideas/explanations???

It isn't that at all (unless a 25% sales tax counts) - they are just ripping us off........:jawdrop: :censored: :censored:

Britain is a very, very expensive place to live and it's not getting any better.

Pint of beer (pub prices) £2.60 ish
gallon of petrol £5
Gallon of diesel: up to £6 recently
modest house £100,000.
Unelected prime minister and 3rd-time-lucky career-resurrectionist running the country: Priceless! :help:

No reason why scary/fun toys like chainsaws should be exempt from economic influences. It's always been like this.

Britain is a very, very expensive place to live and it's not getting any better.

gallon of petrol £5
modest house £100,000.
Not much better here 24 pack beer$40, pint at the pub $5
Diesel $5 for a US galllon $6.30 Imperial
Gas about the same maybe little less.
Modest house $250-300,000.
Wonder why I visit the US now and again, our beer is cheaper there than here. Taxes maybe!!!

gallon of petrol £5
modest house £100,000.
Unelected prime minister and 3rd-time-lucky career-resurrectionist running the country: Priceless! :help:

No reason why scary/fun toys like chainsaws should be exempt from economic influences. It's always been like this.

lol... try here mate :)

litre of petrol $2
litre of diesel $1.60 (little tax on diesel, but we pay road user charges of $360 per 10,000km)
modest house $500,000 (170,000 pound)

the only let off is the beer. good imported lagher on sale is $15 / doz

beer at pub, $5 pint. i believe the beer is cheap because we get a bulk discount

thats why we drink and dont drive. cant afford to do both!

all NZ$ of course

stk :D:D:D:D

Stk

Steve my uncle came over from NZ and was amazed we paid more for aussie beer than he could buy it back home. Beer used to be cheap.

lol... try here mate :)

litre of petrol $2
litre of diesel $1.60 (little tax on diesel, but we pay road user charges of $360 per 10,000km)
modest house $500,000 (170,000 pound)

the only let off is the beer. good imported lagher on sale is $15 / doz

beer at pub, $5 pint. i believe the beer is cheap because we get a bulk discount

thats why we drink and dont drive. cant afford to do both!

all NZ$ of course

stk :D:D:D:D

500,000? I think thats if you live in auckland so its time to move, youll live longer, better and cheaper! I dont know about the definition of modest but average house price across the land is about 340,000 I think. (230,000 us dollars)

Compared to europe most of the world get off very easy on the cost of fuel, saws etc.

Latest posts

Back