Saw pricing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Curt H

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have read many posts about Stihl saws being over priced and am confused about this. It appears to be related to location. Here in Northeastern Wisconsin prices are as follows:
Husky 357XP 18" bar = $640
Stihl MS361 18" bar = $589
Stihl MS440 20" bar = $729
Husky 575XP 20" bar = $789
Also, the Stihl dealer sells the 361 and the 440 with 16" bar as standard and charges $10 for each size up from that. Seems odd.
Are these prices in line with your area of the country?

2100cd
191T

I agree, and I was thinking about this just the other day. Another thing to realize is that many Husky prices you see are for the powerhead only. So yeah, comparable Stihl's may cost a few extra bucks, but when you're spending $700+, you should buy the saw that you want, and the saw that suits you. Not the saw that saves you $50.

And $10 per bar size is what my dealer charges as well.

Welcome to AS.

Jeff

Stihl makes a quality saw, stands behind its product and charges a price you would expect from a quality product. I own several and am a happy camper.

When making comparisons, you have to take 'everything' into consideration. Wendy's sells a lot of sandwiches called 'hamburgers' but there is a lot of difference in their quality, quantity and price. Same thing is true of hardware products too.

You hear people complain about price; but, you don't hear them complaining about the performance of a professional grade Stihl saw.

Dolmars too

To add Dolmars to the list. I have been seeing the Dolmar 7900 (79cc) going for $599 powerhead only. I did see a demo 7900 sell for $499 last year.

As long as the dealer has every type bar in every length available, what he says he is selling as a standard is neither here nor there.

Seems to me that what I have observed on this board is that the Stihl prices are mostly standard no matter the location. I'm sure that what I have observed both here and in real life is that Stihl does produce an MSRP and each dealer has to decide where they are going to go from there.

We have a business down here that will sell you that MS 361 with 18" bar for one penny less than $600. The bar would be an ES in 3/8ths .063 and I'm sure it has RM2 chain on it. On June 1, 2005, I bought a MS 460 with 20" 3/8ths .063 ES with RM2 chain for one penny less than $770 from this same place. This place sells right at what I suspect the MSRP is or was.

Picked up a 260 Pro with 18" E in .325 .063 with I don't know what kind of chain on it for 499.95 week before last. This from a different business. I suspect that this place also sells right at MSRP (at least I hope so!).

Then we have the place that displays a 260 (non-Pro) with 16" E and whatever kind of chain for $530. That's how they display it. I can't imagine they sell them.

Seems to me that only the user (purchaser) can decide whether or not Stihl is over-priced. If you'll pay it, it's not over-priced. I don't have a problem with what I've paid for any of my Stihl stuff. It all does for me exactly what I need it to do.

I don't have a problem with paying 600 bucks for the graphics card in my computer. My buddy only wants to pay 600 bucks for a whole computer. At the same time, he wants a Bay fishing boat yet I only want a 14-foot kayak.

Surely it's an unhappy life for those who worry about who else is paying how much for what.

SmithEC
Sorry if I didn't make myself clear. I agree with you in that I am not concerned how much a particular item costs. I was trying to point out that in my area, a comparable Stihl saw costs less than a Husky. So I was wondering why I often see people say Stihl saws are overpriced.
How you value an item is in direct proportion to where your interests lie.

I don't know a single thing about Huskys. If I'm not interested in something, I typically won't bother to learn about it.

Looking at your list now, if the first two saws are supposedly comparable and the last two are supposedly comparable, I can certainly see your point!

I've seen what you're talking about plenty of times and just assumed that maybe Stihl was priced a lot higher than Husky.

My post wasn't directed at anyone in particular. It was just my own way of saying something like "How you value an item is in direct proportion to where your interests lie.".

My father-in-law asked me what one of my horses is worth that I have won over $70,000 on in competition over the last 4 years- I said- "nothing" he said, "what do you mean, nothing?" I said, "I wouldn't sell him for any amount so he ain't worth a dime or a million dollars":laugh:

I just bought two new Huskies...575xp at $625 and 359 at $405 to my door.

I have no idea what the comparable Stihl cost.

I should add, both with Husky 20" bars and stock chains.

Back