Saws cutting off only when chain brake is engaged....?!?!?!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gcchicago

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I've got a couple of saws that are cutting off or won't idle when the chain brake is engaged. In fact they will not even start unless the chain brake is disengaged. They will start, idle, and full throttle as long as the chain brake isn't engaged. I'm working with all stihl saws. Ugggg... What do you think is going on?

What model are you talking about. Just had the same issue with my 034. Replaced the drum bearing and that seemed to do the trick.

yep, as others have mentioned - either your clutch springs, or drum bearings.

when idling with the chain brake off, is the chain turning?

Another (relatively) common issue is if the clutch side crankcase bearing is bad, engaging the chain brake will pull the crank toward a side of the bearing, creating a leak at that seal... This creates an air leak which will make the saw die.
Just something else to consider.

Not worth fixing, so you can just drop them off at my house and i will safely dispose of them for you. (-:

I'd start with the clutch bearing and also pop some seals in it while yourin there.

Thank you for the insight!

Our saws have widespread systemic clutch problems. I swear every saw I look at has clutch clips broken, loose clutch springs, destroyed needle cages, worn sprockets, etc.

Since, i was hired i am finding that I am the only one to address these issues at all. I need some advice on what preventative measures I can implement to our saw program. I am very confident with basic to advanced saw maintenance. However, I am struggling to address widespread saw negligence issues. I welcome any and all advice for getting this ship on course!

Thank you in advance.

Thank you for the insight!

Our saws have widespread systemic clutch problems. I swear every saw I look at has clutch clips broken, loose clutch springs, destroyed needle cages, worn sprockets, etc.

Since, i was hired i am finding that I am the only one to address these issues at all. I need some advice on what preventative measures I can implement to our saw program. I am very confident with basic to advanced saw maintenance. However, I am struggling to address widespread saw negligence issues. I welcome any and all advice for getting this ship on course!

Thank you in advance.

Louisville slugger and a ski mask

Another (relatively) common issue is if the clutch side crankcase bearing is bad, engaging the chain brake will pull the crank toward a side of the bearing, creating a leak at that seal... This creates an air leak which will make the saw die.
Just something else to consider.
An air leak should cause the saw to idle too high.

I need some advice on what preventative measures I can implement to our saw program.

Key thing is regular cleaning, inspection, and maintenance of the saws BEFORE they break.

How often do you do this?

Include inspection of the clutch (easy on STIHL saws), clutch bearing, etc.

Philbert

Latest posts

Back