school argument paper.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stihl is to Husqvarna as John Deere is to Kubota. Get on a Kubota and operate things... Its fine. Get right on a John Deere and you suddenly realize how crappy and tinny the Kubota was. Same thing.

-Phillip

Really? I bought my Kubota compact diesel strictly because of how much smoother and robust it was over the comparable Deere. I've always been a JD man but couldn't bring myself to spend $20000 on plastic. I ran bothfor a week and the bota was stronger, smoother, and more fuel efficient.

If you want to discuss the pros and cons of both, we should talk in the off topic or equipment forum. Otherwise id appreciate such a biased opinion on a fine machine not to be stated as "fact".

Last edited:
Really? I bought my Kubota compact diesel strictly because of how much smoother and robust it was over the comparable Deere. I've always been a JD man but couldn't bring myself to spend $20000 on plastic. I ran bothfor a week and the bota was stronger, smoother, and more fuel efficient.

If you want to discuss the pros and cons of both, we should talk in the off topic or equipment forumn. Otherwise id appreciate such a biased opinion on a fine machine to be stated as "fact".

Easy does it...I didn't mean to offend you.
I guess I should have mentioned that compacts don't really count in my mind. Deere isn't really in the business of compacts, but there is a huge market for them, so they are made by Yanmar and others. If I ever had a need for a compact tractor, I would probably choose a Kubota over a "Deere".

When I went searching for my tractor, I would not buy anything that didn't have an engine made by John Deere. Why? Because anything that doesn't have Deere's own engine is mostly, if not entirely, made by someone else.
I got a great deal on a 5200 which is the lowest hp model of the 5000 series. I did this because the only difference between the 5200(45hp) and the 5400(68hp) is a fuel pump adjustment and a turbo...and the only difference between my tractor and a 5500(83hp) is a 4cyl engine rather than the 3cyl that mine has. Basically I got the drivetrain (not including the engine) of a 83hp tractor, without having to pay for an 85 hp tractor. I currently have my engine turned up to about 55hp. When I get time, I will add a turbo and turn it up to 75hp or so...and be comfortable in knowing I'm not going to break anything because the transmission and axles were designed to be run by an engine up to 83hp.
...and before anyone says that deere doesn't make a 3cyl...here ya go: PowerTech 2.9L Engine 70 hp (52 kW) from John Deere

But to get back on topic...that 5200 is what I use to carry my Stihl saw, which I prefer over a similar Husky saw. ;)

-Phillip

Easy does it...I didn't mean to offend you.
I guess I should have mentioned that compacts don't really count in my mind. Deere isn't really in the business of compacts, but there is a huge market for them, so they are made by Yanmar and others. If I ever had a need for a compact tractor, I would probably choose a Kubota over a "Deere".

When I went searching for my tractor, I would not buy anything that didn't have an engine made by John Deere. Why? Because anything that doesn't have Deere's own engine is mostly, if not entirely, made by someone else.
I got a great deal on a 5200 which is the lowest hp model of the 5000 series. I did this because the only difference between the 5200(45hp) and the 5400(68hp) is a fuel pump adjustment and a turbo...and the only difference between my tractor and a 5500(83hp) is a 4cyl engine rather than the 3cyl that mine has. Basically I got the drivetrain (not including the engine) of a 83hp tractor, without having to pay for an 85 hp tractor. I currently have my engine turned up to about 55hp. When I get time, I will add a turbo and turn it up to 75hp or so...and be comfortable in knowing I'm not going to break anything because the transmission and axles were designed to be run by an engine up to 83hp.
...and before anyone says that deere doesn't make a 3cyl...here ya go: PowerTech 2.9L Engine 70 hp (52 kW) from John#Deere

But to get back on topic...that 5200 is what I use to carry my Stihl saw, which I prefer over a similar Husky saw. ;)

-Phillip

I'm not offended, as I truly am a JD ag man, but sometimes you have to becareful about what you say. I really was looking for a Deere when compact shopping, but in that market bota really has their stones in a vice. On the farm, we run deeres. Just bought a new 7830 last year. Now that's a tractor.

As for stihl vs husky? I'll put my huskys up against your stihls any day. Are they a better saw? Both have their pros and cons. I own strictly husky saws, because it's what I've come to prefer and that's all. It always sounds silly to me when people are blinded by their opinions from the truth.

I'm not offended, as I truly am a JD ag man, but sometimes you have to becareful about what you say. I really was looking for a Deere when compact shopping, but in that market bota really has their stones in a vice. On the farm, we run deeres. Just bought a new 7830 last year. Now that's a tractor.

As for stihl vs husky? I'll put my huskys up against your stihls any day. Are they a better saw? Both have their pros and cons. I own strictly husky saws, because it's what I've come to prefer and that's all. It always sounds silly to me when people are blinded by their opinions from the truth.
I can honestly say I like the "feel" of Stihls better than Huskys...but if roles were reversed and stihl had no decent dealers here while husqvarna had a big one right down the road who keeps everything in stock...I might be using a different brand. Husqvarna has no decent dealers here.
....but I prefer homelites over all of them! :D

-Phillip

Deere is the best that's why all their dealerships have turned into humongous tractor Wal Marts. I own a 2640 and always been a Deere man but unless you get 100hp+ nowadays your just buying a toy. Now an old school Deere made out of real metal in Iowa and a 372xp aint no green and yellow Yanmar and Stihl got nothing on that.

Deere is the best that's why all their dealerships have turned into humongous tractor Wal Marts. I own a 2640 and always been a Deere man but unless you get 100hp+ nowadays your just buying a toy. Now an old school Deere made out of real metal in Iowa and a 372xp aint no green and yellow Yanmar and Stihl got nothing on that.

I don't intend to be rude, but could you reword that? I can't understand anything other than the part about tractor Walmart.

BTW, my local dealer has half new and half old machines in stock. They buy old ones and rebuild them. Plus, they employ the same parts people that I've been dealing with for 15+ years.

-Phillip

Just what exactly are you going to put down for your Works cited? Obviously Stihl and Husqvarna, but what about all of the info from this site? Are you going to site specific usernames? I'm not trying to bust on you, I'm just trying to figure out where this paper is going.

I don't intend to be rude, but could you reword that? I can't understand anything other than the part about tractor Walmart.

BTW, my local dealer has half new and half old machines in stock. They buy old ones and rebuild them. Plus, they employ the same parts people that I've been dealing with for 15+ years.

-Phillip

Well I was trying to be a smartass. I farm corn and soybeans and am fairly experienced with my local john deere dealership. They went from a humble cinder block shop to a huge James River Equipment where the same salesman that were at the old store attack you like it's a car dealership when you walk in the door. They sale Stihl chainsaws that the same mechanics that were at the old dealership have no idea how to service. About the 100+hp comment, I guess it's because people don't farm with tractors smaller than 100hp anymore, therefore the utility sized tractors are to light to be useful for to much farming. My grandfather planted soybeans and corn with a four row kinze and a 2240 john deere. Worked all his land with a 4020 with an aftermarket turbo. BTW you know exactly what I meant by green and yellow Yanmar.

Latest posts

Back