SCORE!!!!!!!!!!! lil saw for cheap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cut, are you saying the symtoms you described were caused by the carb being loose? I have a couple of old Poulan 33 cc saws (little brothers to yours) that have the same problems with wet plug and good spark. Maybe I can get them running after I finish the 3450 project. If they were here, instead of at my camp in Louisiana, I'd already be checking them out.

Log Splitter said:
Cut, are you saying the symtoms you described were caused by the carb being loose? I have a couple of old Poulan 33 cc saws (little brothers to yours) that have the same problems with wet plug and good spark. Maybe I can get them running after I finish the 3450 project. If they were here, instead of at my camp in Louisiana, I'd already be checking them out.
I just sold a 3750, its the 3450 with a 60cc topend. Nice saws. I would put it up against the top name brands in the same class STOCK without a blink.
Sometimes the carb gets so loose it will wear the gasket out over time from the vibration, take a peak and snug it back upreal good and do the carb settings, it should be good to go then.

lil drop of blue loctite on the carb mounting bolts has taken care of the looosgooosy. As well, just because i go overboard on things, i swapped the carbnuts for Nylock locking nuts.

Still have'nt fired it up, i slept in today :rock:

Muffler is getting modded this morning (i cant leave anything alone....:D ), limiter caps are getting pulled and she's getting fatted up mixture wise.

Are you pumping the air purge before trying to start it? For some reason these things seem to flood when you use the air purge. It is only supposed to draw fuel through the carb, but it seems that when this is done and the choke is closed they flood!

^ i noticed that too! it seems to have a rather "large" amount of fuel after pushing the primer.

scottr said:
SRT-Tech , what is the type number on the sticker that is under the rear handle of your 2150 ?

TYPE 1

(why?)

---------------

finally got it going again, seems that if you prime it, with the choke closed, you flood it. A very light touch on the primer, and the chocke half open, and it fired up. Pulled the limets, adjusted the L again, its about halfway now. Plug is cleaning up and is dry again.

sounding like a chainsaw again.

only other issue is the starter recoil spring does'nt retract all the way. I rewound it twice, it is fine for two or three pulls, then it gets sloppy and leaves about 3" of starter rope unwound.

-----

good news

no more fuel leaks, excess fuel laking out of the carb throat, or pooling underneath the carb. Carb mount nuts are tight and the gasket is doing its job.

Last edited:
Reason

SRT-Tech said:
TYPE 1

(why?)

---------------

finally got it going again, seems that if you prime it, with the choke closed, you flood it. A very light touch on the primer, and the chocke half open, and it fired up. Pulled the limets, adjusted the L again, its about halfway now. Plug is cleaning up and is dry again.

sounding like a chainsaw again.

only other issue is the starter recoil spring does'nt retract all the way. I rewound it twice, it is fine for two or three pulls, then it gets sloppy and leaves about 3" of starter rope unwound.

-----

good news

no more fuel leaks, excess fuel laking out of the carb throat, or pooling underneath the carb. Carb mount nuts are tight and the gasket is doing its job.
I wanted to look up the starting procedure in the owners manual . Here is the short version for starting your saw as the factory had it set up . Start switch on . Pull choke full out . Slowly press primer bulb 6 times . Set fast idle lock . Pull starter 5 times . Push in choke knob . Pull starter until engine starts. Allow engine to run approximately 5 seconds . Blip throttle to idle . When you get it tuned less lean it will start and run on the third pull when cold .

:jawdrop: push the primer SIX times? damn....

thats great info ScottR, thank you very much :cheers:

:censored: saw! :mad: The recoil spring on the starter unit keeps pulling out, resulting in half the cord hanging down by the saw handle. Not sure how many times i can rewind it in a day.....4 times so far is pissing me off. :chainsaw:

ok, started her colld, as per ScottR's post. No prob, fires up, screams blue bloody murder until you blip the fast idle off :eek:

Runs fine WOT in a cut, cuts pretty damn nice actually, considering the small bar and low pro chain (ya need a file the size of a toothpick to sharpen :D )

suffers at idle. When you adjust the T screw to the point where the chain starts to spin and then back it off a half turn......that works, BUT then the saw cuts out.
At this point restarting is impossible. I then adjusted the T screw a bit, it idles fine but the chain spins. Fiddled with the L mixture a bit, leaned , richened it, saw seemd to idle fine but then cutout (both lean and rich and in the middle of the L adjustment)

have'nt changed the plug yet, everything is closed (i take it its xmas eve? :chainsaw: ) will pick one up on wednesday.

i did think meybe the gas was the culprit, but i run the same gas/mix in my husky 61 this morning and that saw just screams thru a log and idles fine......so i can rule out the fuel.

maybe some crap in the carb, i have'nt rebuilt it yet or ran a copper wire thru the passages with carb cleaner...

might just take er down to the saw Guru at Pacific Felling Inc here locally. Dude is incredible with finicky saws.

:ices_rofl: trials and tribulations of cheap saws eh?

Last edited:
^ yea, i was doing that all morning in the downpouring rain :rock: seems to be a VERY fine line of adjustment...... i would adjust the T so the chain would'n move, and then adjust the L, the saw would idle fine on its own, for 5 minutes even...but you'd make a cut or three and return to idle and it would crap out. i was doing 1/8 turns ont he adjuster, very small adjustments each time.

BTW, i cant find a plug gap listing anywhere for this model....i'm gonna be laughing my arse off if thats the problem (hey it happens... :buttkick: )

scottr said:
You're almost there , don't give up so soon . If you adjust the T just under the point where the chain spins then adjust the L to get a smooth idle and good acceleration then you have it .

Scott Make another post quick!!!!!! Merry Christmas,,,,

River

already did! no plug gap listed!

thanks for the Gap info.... i was off a bit.

SRT-Tech said:
:censored: saw! :mad: The recoil spring on the starter unit keeps pulling out, resulting in half the cord hanging down by the saw handle. Not sure how many times i can rewind it in a day.....4 times so far is pissing me off. :chainsaw:

ok, started her colld, as per ScottR's post. No prob, fires up, screams blue bloody murder until you blip the fast idle off :eek:

Runs fine WOT in a cut, cuts pretty damn nice actually, considering the small bar and low pro chain (ya need a file the size of a toothpick to sharpen :D )

suffers at idle. When you adjust the T screw to the point where the chain starts to spin and then back it off a half turn......that works, BUT then the saw cuts out.
At this point restarting is impossible. I then adjusted the T screw a bit, it idles fine but the chain spins. Fiddled with the L mixture a bit, leaned , richened it, saw seemd to idle fine but then cutout (both lean and rich and in the middle of the L adjustment)

have'nt changed the plug yet, everything is closed (i take it its xmas eve? :chainsaw: ) will pick one up on wednesday.

i did think meybe the gas was the culprit, but i run the same gas/mix in my husky 61 this morning and that saw just screams thru a log and idles fine......so i can rule out the fuel.

maybe some crap in the carb, i have'nt rebuilt it yet or ran a copper wire thru the passages with carb cleaner...

might just take er down to the saw Guru at Pacific Felling Inc here locally. Dude is incredible with finicky saws.

:ices_rofl: trials and tribulations of cheap saws eh?
The 2150 uses a 40:1 gas/oil ratio . What do you run in your 61 Husky ?

in the 61 i run 50:1 ratio, premium gas. i used the same gas and added a bit more mix.

foam filter is clean, still smells like a new foam filter

Latest posts

Back