SCORE!!!!!!!!!!! lil saw for cheap

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok, I gots the recoil / startercord unit fixed, turns out the end of the spring was broken. bent it carefully, good as new, test pulled it about 50 times (off the saw) to make sure.

mounted the starterrecoil unit back on, regapped the plug ( was a wee bit off), and heading out again to try again!.

:ices_rofl:

This has been a fun read!

Last year I had a guy ask me if I wanted a saw..35 bucks USD and he said I could have it..

I said, sure.

It was a Poulan Wild Thing.

Older gent bought it new and didnt have the strength to start it, so it was only run 1 time by his son, but never used.

The car was mint, no scratches anywhere. Had the Case, with the mix oil in the bottle, and spare chain in the sealed bag.

I pulled it out, took the limiter caps off, and primed it up, gave it a yank and it fired right up. I tuned it to my liking, ran it rich through a tank for break in, then leaned it out for speed.

I got it so it can sit for 6 months and start on the 2nd pull every time.
My method is: Pull the choke, set the throttle, prime until the bulb gets firm, then 1 more. Pull once, very slowly, just past compression. Then yank it once, twice, catches. I blip it wide open 1 time, then it idles down real nice. Let it warm for a minute, then go to work.

Makes for a good saw for small stuff, 18" bar and Safety chain does good for limbing.

Ive got a couple tanks through it, just enough to blurr the "wild thing" on the bar...

Very lightweight, and extremely smooth and quiet. and for 35 bucks, hard to beat!

SO FAR SO GOOD! :rock: took it downstairs to the parking lot, pulled the choke, turned saw on, primed SLOWLY (thanks Scott) 6 times, engaged fast idle lock, pulled starter recoil 5 times, choke off, pulled cord again two times, VROOM. Blipped throttle to disenage fast idle. Looking good!

quick adjustment of Tscrew, minor adjustment of L screw. let it run for about 5 minutes, shut it off, restarted (one pull!) shut it off, pulled plug. Black glossy carbon gone, light chocolate color on plug and piston top.

too late now to run WOT or cut anything, neighboers would killme...:biggrinbounce2:

but i think i got er nipped in the bud. I'm not much of a carb person,..... :buttkick:

thanks to all for the help on the starting/carb issues. . :cheers:

next up, the R screw adjustments.

Gas

SRT-Tech said:
in the 61 i run 50:1 ratio, premium gas. i used the same gas and added a bit more mix.

foam filter is clean, still smells like a new foam filter
SRT-Tech , I can't explain it but when I tried premium in my 38cc Poulan it would quit when idling . That was before it was broken in . I called the factory in ARK and they said to run regular so I switched and it has not quit since .

interesting! :jawdrop: i'm so used to buying premium (94 octane Chevron) here in BC) that did'nt cross my mind... i'll buy a few gallons of REG tommorow and try it.

:rock:

Cut4fun said:
Oh Canada prices, now i see why $299. i used to buy car parts for lets say $100 and take them across the border for friends, The same parts were $300 up there. Wonder why everything is triple up there it seems, even the food, when I ate out up there. :rock:
Yay on the saw, may it not cut yer face!
The exchange is different now, now the biggest expenx is shipping, ouch!

Merry Ho-Ho to one and all!!

Serge

SRT-Tech said:
SO FAR SO GOOD! :rock: took it downstairs to the parking lot, pulled the choke, turned saw on, primed SLOWLY (thanks Scott) 6 times, engaged fast idle lock, pulled starter recoil 5 times, choke off, pulled cord again two times, VROOM. Blipped throttle to disenage fast idle. Looking good!

quick adjustment of Tscrew, minor adjustment of L screw. let it run for about 5 minutes, shut it off, restarted (one pull!) shut it off, pulled plug. Black glossy carbon gone, light chocolate color on plug and piston top.

too late now to run WOT or cut anything, neighboers would killme...:biggrinbounce2:

but i think i got er nipped in the bud. I'm not much of a carb person,..... :buttkick:

thanks to all for the help on the starting/carb issues. . :cheers:

next up, the R screw adjustments.

Im assuming you mean H carb adjutments?

T = Base Idle
L = Low Fuel mixture
H = High Fuel mixture

Vrooom Vrroooom Vrroooom, chips flying, log cookies falling (albiet a LOT slower than with my Husky :biggrinbounce2: )

:clap: :rock:

sliced up a 14" log, about 300 x 1/2" slices, ran a few tanks of REG thru, seems to run better than with premium like i had before..

i did notice that it will stop (sometimes) after sawing thru a log, BUT only if you let off the throttle trigger quickly, if you feather it down it keeps running. T is adjusted properly, as is the L (and H) , i think it may be the linkage (its very sloppy) . i'm going to try tweaking the linkage wire a tiny bit.

now to rip that muffler apart and tweak it!

:cheers: oh yea Merry Christmas!

Back Pressure

SRT-Tech said:
Vrooom Vrroooom Vrroooom, chips flying, log cookies falling (albiet a LOT slower than with my Husky :biggrinbounce2: )

:clap: :rock:

sliced up a 14" log, about 300 x 1/2" slices, ran a few tanks of REG thru, seems to run better than with premium like i had before..

i did notice that it will stop (sometimes) after sawing thru a log, BUT only if you let off the throttle trigger quickly, if you feather it down it keeps running. T is adjusted properly, as is the L (and H) , i think it may be the linkage (its very sloppy) . i'm going to try tweaking the linkage wire a tiny bit.

now to rip that muffler apart and tweak it!

:cheers: oh yea Merry Christmas!
SRT-Tech , my 38cc Poulan cut off like that and was hard to restart and smelled hot . After I opened the muffler it never did it again . A loop of Bailey's 30LP makes a big difference in cutting speed .

I just tried out my new camera with sound today with all my project saws cutting 11 round yellow poplar 1 cut.
1st Partner 5000 .325 carlton 5/32 cutter
2nd Partner 500 .325 RS
3rd Craftsman 4218 with poulan 38cc heart ore safety 3/8LP
4th stihl 011 41cc safety 3/8LP
Files are to large to download with dial up.

Order of all saws run today.
1st 066
2nd 7900
3rd 357
4th 5000
5th 500
6th 4218/38cc
7th 011
8th 2000
9th 1800

Fun day till something flew through the poly flywheel on the 066 and broke fins off and chipped all the others. Found the culprit a brass looking spacer, from where I may never no.

scottr said:
SRT-Tech , my 38cc Poulan cut off like that and was hard to restart and smelled hot . After I opened the muffler it never did it again . A loop of Bailey's 30LP makes a big difference in cutting speed .

aw man, are we on the same wavelength or what!!! :hmm3grin2orange: as soon as i opened up the exhaust housing further (drilled 1/2" hole in front, drilled out the interior), no more cutting out after a couple of cuts!

Cheers!

now onto my next project, i think i want a Homelite XL12 to restore!!

I have a 2150, it was my first saw, and its still like new. I still keep it around for when a good friend asks to borrow a saw.
Think I may go play with the muffler now...

Back