see what happens when I get left alone in the shop!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dave_dj1

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
With some cheap steel, plasma cutter, bandsaw, welder, grinders, apare winch and a lonesome tractor.
I don't know what the lift capacity is but it lifted me with no problem and I weigh 2 bills and 2 quarters.
Now I just need to customize some pallets to hold a couple days worth of wood. The thing is worthless on the grass, I may need chains!
Forks are removable and accessing under the hood can be accomplished by removing 4, 1/2" bolts and leaning the whole thing forward.
SDC10878_zps37d00033.jpg

SDC10877_zps4ef6d852.jpg

SDC10876_zpsb7659a82.jpg

Last edited:
With some cheap steel, plasma cutter, bandsaw, welder, grinders, apare winch and a lonesome tractor.
I don't know what the lift capacity is but it lifted me with no problem and I weigh 2 bills and 2 quarters.
Now I just need to customize some pallets to hold a couple days worth of wood. The thing is worthless on the grass, I may need chains!
Forks are removable and accessing under the hood can be accomplished by removing 4, 1/2" bolts and leaning the whole thing forward.
SDC10878_zps37d00033.jpg

SDC10877_zps4ef6d852.jpg

SDC10876_zpsb7659a82.jpg

I would not load it too heavy !!! It might stand up on its nose

Wow that is cool! Wish I could fab stuff like that. I would guess capacity will be dictated by what load the front tire will handle.

Great build, I would just watch the front axle on that especially if it is the stamped steel type if you load it too heavy you could fold your spindles. Great idea though, good to see some of the builds on here.

I thought with the bagger, wheel weights, deck and my fat arse it would be ok for my intended use. It's helpless on the slightest incline on the lawn with a couple of rows of firewood on it! I want to modify some pallets so they only hold one row and only about 2' high.
It can lift up to about 4.5 feet. Maybe I'll have to load the rear tires and weld the diff! :dizzy:

Great build, I would just watch the front axle on that especially if it is the stamped steel type if you load it too heavy you could fold your spindles. Great idea though, good to see some of the builds on here.

Yes it is stamped steel, been trying to figure out how to add power steering. I can reinforce the axle if need be. :msp_w00t:

I like it. I think I'd be inclined to mount it on the back to take advantage of the bigger tires and heavier axle, but that would defeat the bagger. Helluva great job as it is though.

I actually bought the tractor last fall just to use the motor for my splitter, the darn thing mows and bags so well I decided to keep it. It runs excellent. I only paid a buck twenty for it as is. It needed the variator pulley freed up and a couple of new belts. It's 18 hp Briggs IC motor with a 46" deck.
thanks,
dave

Gott'a give you an Attaboy for the idea. :wink:

I think Mac hit on something; take off the bagger, add an extension so it’s past the tires, a little weight on the front and lift away... :clap:

Gotta give you a virtual pat on the back for the creativity. And it looks pretty dadgum good to boot.

Hope it works well for ya, just keep an eye on that front axle.

Years ago I was wanting to build a front end loader or backhoe on a lawn tractor. As mentioned earlier the front spindles are a weak point on the lawn tractor. You may wan to lookup P.F. Engineering for ideas to upgrade your spindles. They have a website at Loader Plans, CAD Plans, Build a Loader, Front End Loader - Blank Page I remember there were a couple web sites that were catering to homemade fel for lawn tractors. Hopefully some of the information will help. Good job on your build, it looks great.

If you're looking around the lawn tractor sites, search "poor mans power steering". You can add roller bearings to the front spindles to make it steer a little easier. Grainger has the bearings for about $5 each, or McMasters.

I love that mod to the lawn mower.

John

We have a similar sized Craftsman rider (vintage around 1994 or so). We used to have a plow on ours - that is until I noticed the frame was cracked. A friend of ours welded angle iron over the crack and then did the same on the other side of the frame even though the other side looked okay.

Shari

Back