Sell 361 for 462?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ok, then the impression i'm getting is that the 461's can pull a bigger bar than a 462?
IF you are considering upgrading from a 361 to get "more power" without a lot more weight, I think you will be happy with the 462. I normally keep 20" bars on my 036's, with a 25" for some jobs. The 462 is "happy" with a light 28" bar, and will put a smile on your face! It will handle a 32" without any problems in "west coast" timber. My 046's normally have 32" bars, or 36" running skip chain. It all comes down to what you're cutting!

ok, then the impression i'm getting is that the 461's can pull a bigger bar than a 462?

Yep. 32" stihl light weight works great on a ported 461.
I haven't bothered to try it on a 462. If nothing else, the balance would make for a miserable day's work.
I think they're both pretty tough to beat for power vs. weight, but the 461 definitely has more power on the stump.
But when you're in scattered or small stuff, a ported 462 with a 24" light almost makes it pleasant.

I cannot speak to the performance of a 462, but there are plenty of very qualified people that already have. I can speak to the 361 as I'm the original owner of one for the last 13 years, they're awesome saws, tougher than nails, and it seems like collectors/addicts are really starting to look for them. I don't know how their prices are holding up in the used market, but they were bringing $400-$500 depending on condition, maybe that's changed. I've actually been thinking about downsizing in saw because I'm not heating with wood anymore, and I really don't have need for a 59cc saw anymore, but I can't bring myself to get rid of it because the 036's/361's are the saws are excellent, and because they personify the Stihl brand.

The 462 sounds like a real beast, and it would appear that Stihl got it right and hit one out of the park. If you an justify the cost to buy one, then get it, with that I could:rock: If you upgrade, then the 361 would be a heck of a backup saw. It's like one of the other posters said above, think of it as a firearm that you'd want to pass on to the next generation, the 361 is that good my opinion.

Good luck in your decision.

462 I have had for a while now, for.me it replaced my 60cc saw, it's perfect for a 20" bar, it lacks true torque in hardwoods to cut with anything bigger then a 24" IMO. Great saw, look forward to porting it soon. To me they don't balance well w anything over a 24", and the oiler is typical Stihl stingy to run anything over that too. Still my favorite saw right now for firewood duty.

I’m getting a 462R tomorrow but this weekend I’ve been running my trusty old 361 I bought new in 2007. I run a 18” bar with an 8 pin sprocket. Engine is stock but I did a “Lakeside Andy” muffler mod. Who remembers Andy? Great guy on here until the trolls run him off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will do. I think a more fair comparison would be between my 361 and 362. Both are great saws, the 362 wears a 20" bar. The best way I can describe it is the MTronic 362 seems to have more torque at lower RPMs while the 361 is best when screaming. When the 361 was my only 60cc saw it had a 20" bar and 7 pin sprocket. When I got the 362 I made the 361 my "hot saw". This 462 will replace a 441, I'm interested in that comparison for sure. Lots of guys don't like the 441 but it was always good for me. I hope the 462 is as good as I've heard on the interweb.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I haven't really kept up on the new Stihl saws, but after reading this thread, it peaked my curiosity. I currently have a 250,361, and 046. The specs on the 462 seem awesome. The weight is in between the 361 and 046, but it has the same hp as the 046. It seems I could replace my 361 and 046 with a new 462.

I’m getting a 462R tomorrow but this weekend I’ve been running my trusty old 361 I bought new in 2007. I run a 18” bar with an 8 pin sprocket. Engine is stock but I did a “Lakeside Andy” muffler mod. Who remembers Andy? Great guy on here until the trolls run him off.

I remember Andy, his builds, and his contributions to this forum very well. A bunch of us were asking about him just a couple of years ago, and he actually chimed in. I had always meant to do his muffle mod to my 361, but just never got around to it. You could do a searches for his builds and use them as reference, but then the sight crashed 5 or 6 years ago, and most of that information was lost, too bad.

That crash was a huge loss for us on this site. I remember the thread on rebuild of a 056 Magnum II. Very comprehensive and complete. He was a great asset to the group. I bought a adjustable carb for a new 260 I bought with a fixed jet. Made a huge difference, still have that saw.

That crash was a huge loss for us on this site.

It effectively ended the site as we knew it, and it never recovered. Matt Ward from Australia had an amazing thread with tons of pictures and videos of his work at a large Vineyard that were lost. A lot of guys put a lot of time, and some money into this forum, after that they jumped ship and I can't blame them.

Here’s my new toy today. Made in Germany no less
faca5c5fbaa35b589da75c9e584ce9b5.jpg

Latest posts

Back