Shindaiwa 488

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alexanderguitar

Reaction score
Hello all,

I recently inherited a nearly new 488 from my father-in-law. He thought perhaps it already needed a top end or something because he was suspicious of the air filter after only one or two days of use, and it was starting to run poorly. As a veteran motorcycle tech, I thought it sounded like a pretty good deal for me.

Anyhow, it doesn't need a top end, and is just running waaaay slobbery rich on top, and I'll take care of that.

My question is this: Will this thing really handle a 20" bar and will it be able to cut hardwoods at a reasonable rate with the 20"? Also, I just took my first look at this thing two days ago and haven't had a chance to pull the carb yet and fiddle with it. I have read on the "omniscient interweb" that the 488 is a bit low RPM of a machine, and that one could perhaps squeeze another 1000 RPM with modifications. I typically prefer stuff stock (my Ducati even has stock exhaust - and that's saying something), but I'm wondering if guys go nuts hot-rodding these things like folks do motorcycles? I'm just curious, I suppose.

TIA,

Drew

13,500 rpm is the recommended no load high speed.

I have 20" bars with .325 chain on mine but find the 18" bar to be better suited to these. It'll cut with a 20" bar but you won't be able to hog down on it much.

I've cut a lot of firewood with 488's and I haven't modded any of them. Maybe not the speed demon other saws are, but easy start and very reliable if not abused.

Depending on when it was made it may or may not have a carb adjustment for high speed. But if yours is running rich it may have a fully adjustable carb already.
And Kyle over at Edge and Engine can fix you up with a flocked filter instead of the fine screen one.
BTW - I run an 18" bar on my 488. It may not be the fastest but it's dead-nuts reliable and starts easily.

The 488 is defenitly an excellent saw and with a good muffler mod it becomes a whole new animal! I kept mine stock for 3 years and then one day got a wild hair to modify it and all I can say is woooooow, the difference is incredible. I always ran an 18" bar, stock it did fine, i've seen them run 20's all the time and do fine as well but modified i would be willing to bet even a 20 wouldnt be so sluggish anymore. defenitly a great chainsaw for around 50cc's. I love mine and would gladdly pick up another.

13,500 rpm is the recommended no load high speed.

I have 20" bars with .325 chain on mine but find the 18" bar to be better suited to these. It'll cut with a 20" bar but you won't be able to hog down on it much.

I've cut a lot of firewood with 488's and I haven't modded any of them. Maybe not the speed demon other saws are, but easy start and very reliable if not abused.

Exactly right on all points. They really honk with a 16'' on them.:cheers:

Hello all,

I recently inherited a nearly new 488 from my father-in-law. He thought perhaps it already needed a top end or something because he was suspicious of the air filter after only one or two days of use, and it was starting to run poorly. As a veteran motorcycle tech, I thought it sounded like a pretty good deal for me.

Anyhow, it doesn't need a top end, and is just running waaaay slobbery rich on top, and I'll take care of that.

My question is this: Will this thing really handle a 20" bar and will it be able to cut hardwoods at a reasonable rate with the 20"? Also, I just took my first look at this thing two days ago and haven't had a chance to pull the carb yet and fiddle with it. I have read on the "omniscient interweb" that the 488 is a bit low RPM of a machine, and that one could perhaps squeeze another 1000 RPM with modifications. I typically prefer stuff stock (my Ducati even has stock exhaust - and that's saying something), but I'm wondering if guys go nuts hot-rodding these things like folks do motorcycles? I'm just curious, I suppose.

TIA,

Drew

Hey Drew, where u at in Kansas? I modded the muffler on a 488 and it helped noticeably. I live North of Salina.

I'm in KC. Used to live in Salina at one time... Anyhow, what did you do to your muffler? Freeing up the exh should get us some more rpm (hence, hp). I used to use some pretty brutish tactics on 2 stroke scooter mufflers when good aftermarket performance exhaust wasn't available (you haven't lived until you've ridden a 70mph 50cc scooter)... Now you've just jarred loose some real dumb things in my head. I'll have to be careful not to spend too much time on it!

Back