SIL's boyfriend wants to borrow a saw...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Id say no as well.....

I know you said the guy is ok but your wife still has to respect your decision. The only way to back out of that situation is to offer to cut it yourself. That way your wife can't call you stingy or selfish.

I've got 4 of the little Homie XL/Super 2 types on the shelf for loaners.

But if it's family or a close friend that's different.If they are compenent enough to run and take care of a saw then I just give em' what they need so they don't have to borrow again.If not then I go with the saw.

Just gave my nieces husband a Husky 480CD I've had........we'll see if he has any "GRIT" after runnin' that for a day.He likes to play the tough guy.Damn Yankee.

SIL's boyfriend is not family.But if he fries the little homie, Ya' get to buy a new saw and your wife can't say a word about it.Sometimes there is a silver lining.

Might work out alright,remember him when you put down that new patio or re-do the driveway.
You did him a favor,he owes you one.

ISNIP

Just gave my nieces husband a Husky 480CD I've had........we'll see if he has any "GRIT" after runnin' that for a day.He likes to play the tough guy.Damn Yankee.

SIL's boyfriend is not family.But if he fries the little homie, Ya' get to buy a new saw and your wife can't say a word about it.Sometimes there is a silver lining.

Heh heh. My dad used to say that he was in college before he learned that Damn Yankee was two words.

Here's the way I see it. Saws are dangerous, especially for the untrained, and inexperienced users frequently find ways to damage them. You may or not be insured sufficiently if he damages himself, and you certainly aren't insured against Nick gassing your saw or deciding to tune it for you. You're not in that business. A rental company, however, IS in that business. If I can't afford a tool I'll rent it before asking to borrow a friend's. In my opinion, asking one's girlfriend to ask her sister to ask her husband to borrow a saw is cowardly and juvenile, and even if I had a loaner saw I wouldn't loan anything to someone who won't deal with me up front. I'd revise my estimation of him downward about 6000% for creating friction between me and my wife, and I'd tell him never, ever, do that again. If you want something from me, talk to me. NO saw for you.

Jack

I never loan my saws, not even to my brothers. If i can part with some money to buy a saw so can can they. Besides, as a wise man once told me, common sense is not so common. nuff said.

you could always remind the Mrs. that if the saw is broken by the SIL's Boyfriend, that you'll be forced to buy another to replace it...

.....but the problem starts when it comes back and will still run, but not QUITE as good as it used to. Then, when you fix it and approach him about the damages, YOU will look like the bad guy. "It ran fine when I brought it back!"

SIL boyfreind is definately a tard for all of the above reasons and then some.

The guys in construction and a chainsaw sounds like the only tool he can't borrow from work. He's gonna treat it like he treats the company tools.

Second, being in construction he knows where the rental places are, and he should know that people don't borrow expensive tools. I rented a demo hammer for a project and I probably had 3 people ask me why I didn't ask for theres or borrow one from work. My responce was, ''I wouldn't want it to quit working while I had it,'' Besides, with a rental, I can let my son run it.

I have a BIL who works for the railroad. He is competent at operating stuff, but he beats the living crap out of everything he runs. I saw him in action on a backhoe once and I would never lend him one.

Telling you fella's the loaning saws is an opportunity to get new saws. I would have told the wife "NO PROBLEM" except if it's not running or running like it did when it got loaned I go and get a replacement for it. I'd bring her in on the responsibility since she asked. Plus I have a 262 that looks like it's been run over by a truck and has low compression but it does run soooooooo.

I'd say nope, don't loan tools. If he did use it and thrash it and then refuse to replace or repair it a family fight would ensue and he would likely use it to dump your SIL. Then you would have her and your wife up your rectum for quite a while. Tell him they rent saws at Home Depot, or yours requires a $500.00 deposit up front and $75.00 a day for rent, that includes mix you have prepared so he doesn't straight gas it.

"I cannot loan a saw because of the increasing stringent liability laws, but I can sell you one if you sign this waiver".

No kidding. Worst case scenario, you loan a saw, he cuts his leg off, and you get sued for $2 million.

take 2 good saws and help him finish what ever he's doing. That way nothing get's gassed and no one gets hurt. If you can't make some time for family then move further away from them...
A

That's sensible, but a friend of an inlaw who can't ask you himself...

Personally, I wouldn't do that, somehow it'd come back that you can't maintain your stuff, and tried lending him junk.

I'd LOVE to have a reputation like that. "Don't ask to borrow HIS tools, they're all crap".
Personally, I'd run one mixture screw all the way in, probably the high so it would die every time he pulled the trigger but start right back up.

Last edited:
tell him you only have one saw that runs right now...... I'd like to see the look on his face when he trys to pick up that Maul. :greenchainsaw:

Usually I say, "no" to things like this. Even if its someone I trust, if something happens to the saw feelings and going to get hurt and its just going to cause drama.
I would gladly go cut whatever someone needs cut, but I really dont like to loan my equipment out.

Thats a hard one don't see why he didn't ask himself,must not be too close to him.I would loan mine out to one of my brothers and one bil because they have saws and know how to use them and would loan me theirs.I loaned my splitter out to one of my brothers a few years ago and when I got it back there was a ding in the gas tank and one axle looks alittle off.I borred my bil's push mower once and brought it back cleaned with a sharpened blade and changed the oil in it too.

The more I read this the less I think it's about chainsaws. Both of these women seem poorly trained in male etiquette, and the boyfriend, even if he is a 300lb brawling concrete worker, is a schemer. There were two passes where this deal should have been cut off.

First, boyfriend asks SIL: "Would you ask your sister if I can borrow one of Outdoor's saws?"

SIL: "Why, scared to talk to him? I know better than to get involved in a tool deal, here's his number. Besides, maybe if you'd stay out of the topless bars for a week you could buy a saw."

Or, SIL plays the dupe, but your wife says: "I'm sorry, Sis, I don't think that's a good idea. Outdoor is pretty particular about his saws, and if Nick messed it up I wouldn't want to be involved. Besides, didn't he just turn down a great deal on a saw? It's too bad Nick can't afford his own tools, but I think he should handle his own business and not make it our problem."

Too bad, a missed opportunity for both of them to have your back.

Jack

just tell the SIL her friend can borrow a saw from someone who is does't care about their tools/saws
if he doesn't think enough of you to ask you directly is he going to care what happens to the saw?
hope this turns out OK for you and your saw

Latest posts

Back