Simonized saws.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about that even an old dog can learn new tricks!!!! LOLOL!!!!

attachment.php

441 mod?

Hey Simon,
Would you be interrested in modding a 441? I need it for milling planks for my cabin project to be used on a logosol mill. Can the 441 have a Big Bore Kit put on and modded at the same time?

When are one of you builders gonna come out with the forced induction ported saw? You can just put on a backpack blower and hook it up to the intake. You won't look like a tool at all, and the chics will dig ya.

Here it is good for an extra 15 rear wheel HP on a lil Ford Ranger:
;)

<iframe width="560" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ngRdKSh99YU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

funny you say that,,

I built this 066 about 5 years ago when Gypo Logger was hanging out here more,,, with some of Dennis' porting reccomendations that he use to use on Falling saws back in the day,,,

Good you built your own RR.......I still help my boy with his work saws, but really don't play with worksaws much anymore. Aaron is still cutting timber and shooting his bow everyday. He's into competition archery. From day one, my interest was seeing that the woodtic's learn to build their own saws and not get ripped off from the so-called "woodsporters". I think the last 372 build proved even the amatures can build a woodsport saw as well as most of the pro builders on the site.......Hahahahahahaha!

Oh no, I am starting to show my age. Here's a rant you prolly don't care to hear:

It's really sad the quality of some of the videos I have seen. Lighting is a very very very simple thing to do, especially when the sun is out. And it is the single most important and basic thing to regard when filming or shooting. The first thing they teach ya in how to use a camera is where the light is coming from, and how much of it. I know it doesn't always cooperate with you, but when it does: You want the light coming from behind you and shining on your subject - not the opposite(having it shine towards you and silhouetting your subject as in the vid I quoted - assuming you are trying to light your subject). The guy in that vid with the garage scene could have improved his video 500% if he shot from outside the garage into it, allowing the sun to flood the entire scene in light (from behind him) and reflect it off of the walls to even it out, and had his camera 15'+ or so away not to clip the audio. The camera works the same way your eyes do, if you have to squint or acclimate your eyes to a certain lighting situation, chances are your camera may have difficulties as well adjusting to the lighting. Dark shadows and bright lights(like outside with a subject half shaded and half in sunlight) are things even new DSLR's have difficulty dealing with(and most use a fill flash). Try to get as consistent an exposure of light on your subject as possible, and avoid wide variances in lighting conditions if possible.

And then there's clipping your audio on a video camera. A chainsaw is 105dB plus. When you talk, it is closer to 60dB. That is a huge difference in pressure waves. Your video cam is set to be sensitive to that 60dB with some threshold for higher and lower. Asking it to do 60dB and then 110dB the next instant is asking for clipping and distortion. So you must place your camera further away from a chainsaw and speak up, or else muffle the sound input, in order to prevent clipping of the signal as compared to when you video tape conversational speech. Sometimes you don't have the room to move the video camera back and zoom, but do it when you can.

Just a few hints that will improve videos and photos immeasurably. I know sometimes shooting is impromptu. But there's little reason for a non-impromptu shot to look like crap. Your videos and photos will be on the internetwebs FOR ****** EVER. Why not spend a few moments and make it halfway decent?

Rant off.

Nice advice/rant, WYK, but I had nothing to do with those videos ;), just thought you might enjoy reading the thread :msp_unsure:.

Along that line of thinking, please don't look at the vids I posted from the TX GTG a few years ago, they were my first serious effort at taking & posting videos--I already know that they pretty much suck :msp_sad:.

Nice advice/rant, WYK, but I had nothing to do with those videos ;), just thought you might enjoy reading the thread :msp_unsure:.

Along that line of thinking, please don't look at the vids I posted from the TX GTG a few years ago, they were my first serious effort at taking & posting videos--I already know that they pretty much suck :msp_sad:.

Ah, I'm not ranting at you, bud. I am ranting at EVERYONE that has made a ####e video or photo ;) I'm not perfect - I make crap all the time. But if someone were to show me how to do it right, I would always be thankful and take the lessons to heart. As any builder knows, there is a since of satisfaction and pride when you do something well. We all have a learning curve, but paying attention to the lighting and sound pressures will increase the qualities of our chainsaw vids greatly.

Almost forgot to add. If the sound is too loud for you(assuming you have decent hearing) it is likely too loud for your camera. Move it off some. It takes some time to learn where your camera wants to be for both the lighting and the sound. All cameras are a bit different. Just so long as ya know what yer looking for and what is causing your clipping and light problems, etc. Knowing is half the battle!

<iframe width="425" height="349" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hWFbe6xrQwA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:
Good you built your own RR.......I still help my boy with his work saws, but really don't play with worksaws much anymore. Aaron is still cutting timber and shooting his bow everyday. He's into competition archery. From day one, my interest was seeing that the woodtic's learn to build their own saws and not get ripped off from the so-called "woodsporters". I think the last 372 build proved even the amatures can build a woodsport saw as well as most of the pro builders on the site.......Hahahahahahaha!
Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah! How?

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahah! How?

Take it easy Simon. I can see his point kind of. But on the other hand I would like to know how much time each of the builders spent working on their saws and who all has messed up an engine before by not knowing what they are doing. I myself run a mobile heavy equipment repair business and a lot of my work is fixing what others tear up trying to fix it themselves. I know the costs involved with a saw engine are a lot less then those with a large diesel engine. But the one thing that I think is similar is the cost of labor. That is why I would like to know how much time the average saw builder spends on their saw to accomplish about the same results they would get from one of your saw mod jobs. The way I see it time is money. So if we take a MS460 that you charge $275.00 to do and it takes me 20 hours total time to achieve similar results then that makes my time worth $13.75 per hour. That is if I don't screw up and kill a piston or other part from not being as familiar with this type of work as you are. Because then my time is worthless and I will be going into the hole. Don't get me wrong here I know there are people out there that consider this stuff a hobby and for them I say go for it. But for me I will do what I do best and fix equipment. Thats why when I needed my saw modified I sent it out to a professional and I used that saved time to make more money and spend time with my family. But that is just my two cents. And for the guys that entered saws in Terry's last build off no matter where the saw placed, professional builder's, shade tree builder's, or what ever. You all did good in my book. I am impressed with anyone that is willing to step up and compete in a competition like that.

I can see what you are saying for some rare cases. Remember I build saws for fallers. Fallers here make just under $100.00 an hour. To them a saw is just a tool that makes their lives easier if it is lighter and stronger. The only saws I can recall building for non-fallers are the two I did recently. A 372XP for RiverRat2 to use in the GTG build-off and an MS460 for IndianSprings. In both cases I charged zero for labor so actually lost money. I am not complaining, I did them both to prove my saws. I was called out, I produced. Have a safe and fun weekend guys.

The way I see it time is money. So if we take a MS460 that you charge $275.00 to do and it takes me 20 hours total time to achieve similar results then that makes my time worth $13.75 per hour. That is if I don't screw up and kill a piston or other part from not being as familiar with this type of work as you are. Because then my time is worthless and I will be going into the hole. Don't get me wrong here I know there are people out there that consider this stuff a hobby and for them I say go for it. But for me I will do what I do best and fix equipment. Thats why when I needed my saw modified I sent it out to a professional and I used that saved time to make more money and spend time with my family.

You are ignoring the fact that education costs money. The steeper the learning curve the more expensive the education. If you break something, you quickly learn what not to do again.

I never pay anyone to do something I think I can do myself. It might take 4-5 times as long, but I always learn something, and the next time I do it, it will take less time. In my youth, when I wanted to learn how to fix engines, I worked on cars for family, friends, and friends of friends for free, and I learned a lot. Did my first complete rebuild for a friend at 16 years of age, and my own 240, inline-6 at 17.

My current job involves a lot of data analysis. I learned that as a student by analyzing data for anyone that needed it. Every data set is unique, and the more you work with, the more tools you'll have in your tool box. I'm self-taught, and considered by my colleagues as an expert in the area.

I brew my own beer, make my own bows, do my own gunsmithing, build my own furniture with hand tools, build my own computers...and fix my own saws.

Self-sufficiency is important to me, so I'm always willing to "waste" my time learning new skills. I don't have much of either these days, but of the 2, I always seem to have more time than money.

I can see what you are saying for some rare cases. Remember I build saws for fallers. Fallers here make just under $100.00 an hour. To them a saw is just a tool that makes their lives easier if it is lighter and stronger. The only saws I can recall building for non-fallers are the two I did recently. A 372XP for RiverRat2 to use in the GTG build-off and an MS460 for IndianSprings. In both cases I charged zero for labor so actually lost money. I am not complaining, I did them both to prove my saws. I was called out, I produced. Have a safe and fun weekend guys.

I'm very pleased with the Simonized 372,, and as I informed from the get go,,,,, I dont fall Timber for my Primary living But I do/will enhance my income with it. not as a wood tick (firewood cutter) it will see commercial Tree service work when my Nephew needs a sawyer and it generally makes 200+. in a 4-6hr day, when we do get a falling job or a bad problem/hazard tree the ante goes up,,,, its alot lighter than my favorite 066 that I modded my self some 4 years back,,, the 372 is way more fuel efficient than the 066 and it wears a 28 or a 32" bar very well and I dont see much difference in power for the weight give away ,,, I wll give it this for a 70 cc saw it is impressive,,,,it makes gobs of torque & doesnt look back!!! and besides I made a good friend and hope the press here that you very much do what you say will end up having some folks to send you ,,, a few extra jobs,,, and Did I mention you have a great recipe for fresh Halibut Steaks???
Good on ya!!!And when I come back to Campbell River,,, I will be totin something I know you will be liking!!! and I should add,,, I know the saw isnt broken in yet with the synthetic oil I am using,,, had I had a little more time to use it prior to the TN GTG or broken it in with dino oil,,, it probably would have placed higher!!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back