Single Mom looking at Redmark GS2500

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Laurie

Reaction score
I need a lightweight saw that will always start for me with minimal effort. No one around to help me fix it so I found buying super great equipment is the best approach. Completely in love with my Stihl backpack blower. Now I'm going to attack the forest of mature privet in my woods - up to 6-7" caliper. So the old man who owns the place I take my blower says the Redmark GS2500 will be the one saw that will always start for me easily. Any one care to comment? It's $360 which is A LOT but I'm willing to spend it if I know I'm doing the right thing.

I'm in landscape sales biz so could buy wholesale if anyone had a line on where I could go in the North Atlanta metro area to look at something else.

i would recommend you look at the stihl 211. i will be about $100 less than the redmax and should be easy to start.
remember to spray the privit stump with round-up or you will have 20 trees instead of one. this is a really bad nuisance (though not as bad as kudzu) thanks to the china!!

Those compression release buttons are my friends. I don't know if all saws have them, but they make starting up saws more userette friendly. Look for that feature. Then, make your saw look girly so the guys won't want to use it. :) I put stick on rhinestones and Barbie Stickers on mine. Welcome to the site.

Congrats, you are one of about 5 ladies on this site. You now have 2/3 of our regular members wondering when you're going to post a picture with yourself in it..... Anyway, you're never alone if you're posting on here. Just so happens that I know a pretty crappy saw repair guy near you. Every once in a while, he gets one running, though. I would SERIOUSLY check out the Stihl MS-211. There are ALOT more Stihl dealers around here (everywhere) than Redmax. The 211 is available with the "Easy to start" system. Most of the experienced folks on here do not like that, but it is PERFECT for you. I have seen guys start those pulling the pullcord with their teeth!!!! The "easy to start" is basically this: When you pull the cord, you are winding a spring. The cord can be pulled out as slowly as you need. When the recoil cord reaches full extension, the wound spring releases, and cranks the engine over. You can take 5 minutes to pull the cord if that is what you like. There is a demo on Stihl's website. Best of all, it is $320 with the easy start.

Redmark GS2500
Are you sure about the model number? Maybe you mean 5200, that might be a discontinued model but a dealer could have one. At least I don't see any models like the 2500 on their site.

FWIW, for someone like yourself the dealer support is valuable, and having one that you can rely on and trust is worth quite a bit that you can't place tangible value on.

RedMax makes Xlnt saws. I know a log craftsman that has used Stihl and Husqvarna saws most of his career, got a RedMax and says it's hte most efficient saw he's owned. He uses it for building log homes. He also said it starts easy. I don't know what model he has, but he loves and raves about it.

For the price you quoted and knowing that the dealer is there to service it, doesn't seem like you can get hurt too much.

I see this 2500 top handle saw, but that wouldn't be what he is selling you, and I don't think these are available in the U.S.

g2500t_main_01.jpg

I need a lightweight saw that will always start for me with minimal effort. No one around to help me fix it so I found buying super great equipment is the best approach. Completely in love with my Stihl backpack blower. Now I'm going to attack the forest of mature privet in my woods - up to 6-7" caliper. So the old man who owns the place I take my blower says the Redmark GS2500 will be the one saw that will always start for me easily. Any one care to comment? It's $360 which is A LOT but I'm willing to spend it if I know I'm doing the right thing.

I'm in landscape sales biz so could buy wholesale if anyone had a line on where I could go in the North Atlanta metro area to look at something else.

Welcome to the site. Whatever saw you decide on, make sure you like the dealer. If you're not comfortable with working on your own equipment, the dealer becomes that much more important.

Welcome to the site. Whatever saw you decide on, make sure you like the dealer. If you're not comfortable with working on your own equipment, the dealer becomes that much more important.

Good point. Make sure they listen to you too. And you listen to them. Some guys won't. We have 2 shops that are extremely professional and good. I go in and tell them that I want the type of chain used by log landing saws, and no questions, they know what works and I buy it.

Do a search here on the Ryobi 40cc saw. Its basically the same saw as a Red Max 40cc. GZ 400. They make a GZ 4000 thats supposed to be a step-up in quality. I have the Ryobi that I paid $119 refurbished and it hasn't missed a beat. It runs and idles great and is real easy to start. It has taken a pretty good beating so far and hasn't missed a beat. It uses very little fuel and it pulls the stock 18'' bar with ease. It came with a crappy chain that I replaced with Woodlands Pro 30Lp from baileys. I run an 18'', a 14'' [off of a fried Poulan Woodshark] and a 10'' bar. I just cut up 3 10'' black locust with mine yesterday. I was running it empty when I was done and cut through a 24'' yellow locust log thats in my woodpile and it never bogged once. I would just stick with the 18'' unless you'll need to get in close on something. The RedMax probably comes with better chain. The yellow Sears Craftsman Pro saw is built at the RedMax factory and is the same 40cc saw. If money is an issue wait till they have a buyers club %15 off day at Sears. They look like nice machines and were built at the Japan Zenoah factory.

Those saws have Zenoah motors which is the standout feature of them. I've never ran a RedMax saw but I do have a RedMax backpack blower and it runs great and does start easy also. Ask blsnelling about the RedMax and Ryobi saws. I hear the Stihl 211 is a great saw also, but I will highly recomend a Redmax. Welcome to the site. Don't hang around long or you'll be hotrodden your weedwacker and buying a woodburner and 6 saws.

Do a search here on the Ryobi 40cc saw. Its basically the same saw as a Red Max 40cc. GZ 400. ...

I think that would be this one, but I recall someone posted a link at a lower price.
http://www.cporyobi.com/products/zrry10532.html

In addition to finding someone who can support you, I suggest you invest in sharpening tools and take some time to learn how to use them. A sharp chain will cut quicker and require less effort. I use the file with a flat piece of metal clipped to it and find it works well enough for me. I also have a stump vise from Northern tool and flat file and gage for filing the depth gages on the cutters.

A spare chain will also be useful if you ever damage a chain on the job. You can probably swap chains faster than you can file one, though a quick touch up with a file doesn't really take long.

Edit: better link and... I just noticed that this saw has an 18" bar. That's bigger than you need and means more effort (and hazard) to operate, particularly if the privet is congested. But at that price, you should be able to find a shorter bar - say 14" - and have something that will meet your needs for not a lot of $$$.

HTH,
walt

Last edited:
Welcome Laurie

I'm stuggling with the part where a SINGLE women with a need for a chainsaw and is willing to BUY one to use, is still SINGLE.

Dems real good WIFE charactoristics...

...Arboristsite to the rescue !!!!

Seriously, there are guys on this site who will actually help out another guy for the sake of geting another chainsaw running right. I bet there are a few hundred single guys who would drive accross the country to help a lady with chainsaw in need !!!

Women with chainsaws....only in Avatars and dreams.

Welcome Laurie

I'm stuggling with the part where a SINGLE women with a need for a chainsaw and is willing to BUY one to use, is still SINGLE.

Dems real good WIFE charactoristics...

...Arboristsite to the rescue !!!!

Seriously, there are guys on this site who will actually help out another guy for the sake of geting another chainsaw running right. I bet there are a few hundred single guys who would drive accross the country to help a lady with chainsaw in need !!!

Women with chainsaws....only in Avatars and dreams.

I have helped and been helped by several other members. I'll be glad to offer it up here, as well. My wife has already volunteered to "supervise".....

If your happy with the blower, I'd vote for the Stihl 211. It's light, easy to start, runs great and won't break the bank. Although I use a top handle 192T for ground work, I wouldn't recommend a top handle for you as a rear handle is much much safer.
Fatguy is right, pick a brand that has a good dealer close to you. It will be invaluable when you need parts or service.

RD

Hey Laurie,
Welcome to the most informative saw site on the net. I would like for you to check out the Stihl 026. It's small and light and is a power house for a small saw. We use ours for anything, it's got a 20" bar and pulls full comp. chain. You can cut weeds or logs it don't know the difference and never lets up. You stated you like the Stihl backpack and the saws are also great. A good dealer or a good redneck saw man can get the parts or whatever it ever needs. They are easy to work on and have a good rep. for living and working countless trouble free hours. Just a thought from a saw user. Good luck and saw safe. :)

Last edited:
That's what she needs......a few hundred fools at her door that smell of two stroke and bar oil!:cheers:

/

Well, looking at the number of viewers in this thread, that's a real possibility....:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Btw Dan, you get that lady of yours a MS200 , she will love you forever...:cheers:

Thanks to Everyone

Really appreciate all your suggestions. I'll let you know what I end up with. Believe me, I'd love to have someone else tackle the privet, but sometimes you've just got to make lemonaide and get on with life. I'll report back when I shop some more.

Welcome to the site.

Another vote for the Stihl 211, I know of two women that run and like them, several more men who run and like them too. A good all around saw and if you decide to sell it they hold value really well.

Best of luck dealing with the privet infestation. We don't have to deal with them here, but we do have several other nasty plants that give us similar trouble.

Cutting them down is only half the battle. Treating them to prevent regrowth is the other half and will win the war for you. If you need pointers on this feel free to ask.

Mr. HE:cool:

I see alot of members are recommending the plastic stihl 211??? try a Dolmar PS350 or PS420 they start real easy and have great power and are built as a PRO saw not a clamshell design..

Scott

Last edited:
Great to see how nice folks get when I lady shows up, I guess we can use a few ladies around here to keep things in order...lol

I see various recommendations, but still believe it would be prudent to find a dealer you feel comfortable with, and get a saw that they can service for you. That is worth it's weight in gold for a single mother that probably doesn't want to be working on her chainsaw when it has a problem, or even sharpen the chains...finding a dealer than can service and/or sharpen your chains will be worth it unless you see yourself taking on those tasks. I would be happy to give you some tips on sharpening your chain with a file, I'm an advocate of doing that.

Nothing wrong with a used saw, if your dealer has one that he feels would suite your needs, but I recommend you stick with what your dealer has. Just make sure your comfortable with the dealer, go to a few in your area and buy from the one you feel comfortable with and like. I prefer the smaller mom/pop type shops where they can provide a bit better personal service, rather than the big shops where you may only be a number waiting in line.

Also, if you can find a dealer in your area that is on AS, that could be a plus also...I see your in Georgia, not sure how far you are from Temple, but B200Driver would be a good person to buy a used saw from possibly, Tim has been helpful to me online. If nothing else he might be able to help you find what your looking for. That would be a plus if he's in your area.

Latest posts

Back