Six pack of Huskies

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like the 555 a lot, especially the fact that it has the small bar mount, nice lighter 60 with all the modern features.
You should have it pressure checked before torn down, then you'll know how deep the problems are. If you don't have a great dealer to support you it may not be worth your trouble. Also depending on the yr I wouldn't mess with it, pre-2016 I'd sell it or trade it for parts for the others.

This :rolleyes: , but to make the job easy you should also use the carb/intake.
The 371 single ring is the kit that many like if you can find/order one.
Isn't a 365 SP an oe 48mm top end? @river of smoak I found a good used 365/372 clutch in my parts pile, if you're interested in it lemme know and I'll pm you.

Really like my 555. The 359's are excellent saws as well....get rid of the catalyst in the 359 muffler and open it up a bit.
02c5d8482d6888029287f5b552a50a89.jpg
cd1f057bc4023a9cc78d2c3c9a9d6513.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Isn't a 365 SP an oe 48mm top end? @river of smoak I found a good used 365/372 clutch in my parts pile, if you're interested in it lemme know and I'll pm you.
thank you for that offer ! the sp is next up if/when the xt goes well . I'm gonna take a closer look at the cyl on the sp , the 48 mm is probly no slouch ! Will need to get into the bottom end for sure on that one

Nice stump and saw ! you make it hard for me to send the 555
I like them a lot myself, but as I said, I personally avoid all the pre-2016 autotune saws these days.
Yes it is. The special usually has a closed port cylinder, the earlier 365(not the special) has an open port cylinder.
Edit, I see why you asked, my bad. I edited that post too. Sorry about that.
thank you for that offer ! the sp is next up if/when the xt goes well . I'm gonna take a closer look at the cyl on the sp , the 48 mm is probly no slouch ! Will need to get into the bottom end for sure on that one
The 365 special isn't a bad saw at all to run a 24 if you know how to sharpen a chain.
Here's one I sold a couple weeks ago; base gasket delete and a muffler mod. A timing advance will get the rpm up a bit quicker if you desire that.

Got curious , 555 piston is scored a little/lot ? Man , that muffler is heavy !
I would gut the muffler, and if it passes a pressure check cleanup the cylinder, new Piston and ring, good to go.
I have a 555 I put a oem 562 top end on, used carb as the carb on it had been broken by the previous owner. Thought it would need flashed. Took it to my local husky shop, they suggested just starting it and running it in the cut to let it train itself, which I did and 3 years later it's still running strong.

I would gut the muffler, and if it passes a pressure check cleanup the cylinder, new Piston and ring, good to go.
I have a 555 I put a oem 562 top end on, used carb as the carb on it had been broken by the previous owner. Thought it would need flashed. Took it to my local husky shop, they suggested just starting it and running it in the cut to let it train itself, which I did and 3 years later it's still running strong.
thanks for the info ! so , does the 555 have a cat or just a ton of heavy baffles ? also do you split the muffler or maybe just remove the deflector and go in from there ? any empty can aftermarket available ?

thanks for the info ! so , does the 555 have a cat or just a ton of heavy baffles ? also do you split the muffler or maybe just remove the deflector and go in from there ? any empty can aftermarket available ?
Splitting it seems to be the preferred method.

On my 555 I didn't split mine. I drilled and cut from the openings on the muffler, by the time I was done I only have the spark arrestor screen. I did the same on a 550. My main goal was to get the exhaust out of the muffler to reduce the retained heat in the muffler. They act like big heat sink and then bleed back into the cylinder.

Whatever technique you use to mod it, just know it's best to go a little at a time, they get real loud quick. I don't mind a loud saw if it adds power, but at a certain point it's just noise, on these there's a small window between loud with added power, and noise.

On my 555 I didn't split mine. I drilled and cut from the openings on the muffler, by the time I was done I only have the spark arrestor screen. I did the same on a 550. My main goal was to get the exhaust out of the muffler to reduce the retained heat in the muffler. They act like big heat sink and then bleed back into the cylinder.
the muffler on my 365 xt has nothing inside , can't imagine why all mufflers are not like this

Whatever technique you use to mod it, just know it's best to go a little at a time, they get real loud quick. I don't mind a loud saw if it adds power, but at a certain point it's just noise, on these there's a small window between loud with added power, and noise.
They are certainly loud. My goal on both my 550 and 555 was to get rid of heat. They have good power put of the box. I bought both my 550 and 555 with smeared pistons. I believe on those early 550, 555 series saws melting down is/was there biggest weakness. The bearings get blamed a lot but both of mine passed pressure tests. So didn't replace the bearings or seals. They both run good 3 years later. I did mod the top covers to resemble the later improved top covers.

They are certainly loud. My goal on both my 550 and 555 was to get rid of heat. They have good power put of the box. I bought both my 550 and 555 with smeared pistons. I believe on those early 550, 555 series saws melting down is/was there biggest weakness. The bearings get blamed a lot but both of mine passed pressure tests. So didn't replace the bearings or seals. They both run good 3 years later. I did mod the top covers to resemble the later improved top covers.
Yes they do for a smaller saw.
I"m a big fan of the 550mk1, I just try to avoid the earlier ones, I really enjoy running the 555 too. They have the newer 555/560/562 dialed in great these days, and that filter upgrade is nice too.

On my 562 I cut an opening in the baffle from the cylinder side, opened up under the deflector and welded a new one on, it's not to loud.

View attachment 957164View attachment 957166
any noticeable gains with this mod or were you after cylinder protection from the heat ? also , did you use a drill/ die grinder or what , that cut looks clean inside .

Back